My Sibling The Mythical Being! discussion

Book Covers!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Jun 02, 2017 09:29AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Hey hey! I don't know about you, but I've always loved the cover designs for Sienna Mercer's books. So honestly I'm not sure why it's taken us so long to make a discussion all about them! So... do you like the covers? Is there anything about them you would change if you were the designer? Which is your favourite of the MSTV covers? How about MBTW? What was your first impression when you saw them - did they make you want to pick up the books? There's lots for us to discuss on this subject!

A quick note: this discussion will NOT contain spoilers for the books, so new readers are safe to browse away! If you do want to say something about the one of the plots however, feel free to hide them with spoiler tags and just let us know which book the spoiler is about. Haaave fun! ;)

message 2: by Sophie, The Joker (last edited Jun 18, 2017 06:12AM) (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments The editions I own are the UK ones:
Star Style (My Sister the Vampire, #8) by Sienna Mercer Secrets & Spies (My Sister The Vampire, #15) by Sienna Mercer Take Two (My Sister the Vampire, #5) by Sienna Mercer Stake Out! (My Sister The Vampire, #12) by Sienna Mercer Switched (My Sister the Vampire #1) by Sienna Mercer
I really like how these covers look. Simple with just Ivy and Olivia on every cover. I love the colours and it looks super cool when all the spines are lined up. I also like seeing what outfits they put them in. I don't particularly have a favourite but the ones I linked above are the covers I like the most. I know it's artistic license and all that but, wow, how thin are Ivy and Olivia's necks!

For MBTW it's interesting that it's not just Daniel and Justin on every book. #1 is Daniel and Riley, #2 and #3 are Daniel and Debi and #4 is Justin and Riley. I don't like the MBTW ones as much as the MSTV ones, they are more boring. I think my favourite cover so far is Cry Wolf. The hands around the edge of the frame are so random, if it was My Brother the Zombie it might make more sense.

message 3: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Jun 30, 2017 02:00AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments I agree, Sophie, those covers are awesome. Not too flashy, but they're colourful and fun and when you see one it's easy to tell it's a MSTV book, which I think is great. And they do make a seriously cool collection when they're all lined up together, like you say. Haha, that's so weird about their necks! They look like bobbleheads now I look closely! Especially on books five onwards. So would you change that if you could?

I think my favourite MSTV cover might be Date with Destiny (My Sister the Vampire #10) by Sienna Mercer . Maybe it's just because green's my favourite colour, but I think the whole colour scheme works really well and the roses, castle and gate give it this whole regal feel. Yet Ivy and Olivia look really casual and I like both their outfits.

Let's talk clothes! Which of Ivy and Olivia outfits do you like the most? For Ivy I actually think my favourite is the purple dress she's wearing on Switched (My Sister the Vampire #1) by Sienna Mercer . For Olivia I love her whole look on Star Style (My Sister the Vampire, #8) by Sienna Mercer .

OK, I've actually noticed a couple of things while looking through these covers. Has anyone else spotted how from book 5 onwards Ivy is always wearing a bat clip and Olivia two white slides? That's pretty cool. There's also some pretty wicked science lab stuff going on in the background of Revamped! (My Sister the Vampire #3) by Sienna Mercer and they seem to be putting up decorations on Vampalicious! (My Sister the Vampire, #4) by Sienna Mercer , both of which match with what happens in those books. I've never noticed that before. They all have a coffin shape in the background except 6, 7 and 8. And on the books where they show their stomachs (both on Twin Spins (My Sister the Vampire, #9) by Sienna Mercer and Olivia on Lucky Break (My Sister the Vampire, #7) by Sienna Mercer ) they don't seem to have belly buttons?! ...That's just some random stuff I found!

I like how Riley and Debi appear on the Bro covers too. Do you think to someone seeing them for the first time they might assume it was about a brother and sister, the girl being the human, the boy being 'her brother the werewolf'? I can imagine that misleading a lot of people.

I think Cry Wolf is my favourite of those too. I really like the giant moon in the background of all of them and Daniel's guitar. I guess the hands are the MBTW equivalent of MSTV's bats, to add extra detail and a kind of border. If you look closely I think they're actually meant to be werewolf claws. I suppose aside from the moon there aren't that many things associated with werewolves like there are with vamps.

Again I've noticed a random thing while looking at these covers; every time Daniel appears he's got something to identify him as a werewolf. On the first it's his t-shirt, on the second it's a badge and on the third it's a sticker on his guitar. It's like he's trying to give it away or something!

message 4: by Sophie, The Joker (last edited Jul 02, 2017 08:02AM) (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Oh my gosh, bobbleheads, that's the perfect description for what they look like! lol. I don't know that I'd change it, the covers don't have to be 100% realistic. Yes, Date with Destiny has an awesome cover!

I'm not sure what my favourite of their outfits is. At the moment I really like Olivia's outfit on Secrets & Spies (My Sister The Vampire, #15) by Sienna Mercer . I love most of Ivy's outfits but my fav is Stake Out! (My Sister the Vampire) by Sienna Mercer and I love both their outfits on Fangs for the Memories (My Sister the Vampire #18) by Sienna Mercer .

I love the little things you noticed! The covers look weird when they don't have the coffin shape in the background, Ivy's bat clip is so cool.

I see the claws now! That's true there aren't as many things associated with werewolves. I still find the hands weird though.

Have you noticed these 4 editions are almost exactly the same as the first four UK versions apart from the background / border.
Switched (My Sister the Vampire, #1) by Sienna Mercer Fangtastic! (My Sister the Vampire, #2) by Sienna Mercer Re-Vamped! (My Sister the Vampire, #3) by Sienna Mercer Vampalicious! (My Sister the Vampire, #4) by Sienna Mercer published by HarperTrophy (an imprint of HarperCollins) who as far as I can see only published the first four. The rest of the series (up to #13 according to Goodreads) in that edition are published by Scholastic. It's so interesting (and confusing) to see the alternate titles and I really like the covers for those editions too! My favourites are
Vampire School Dropout? (My Sister the Vampire, #11) by Sienna Mercer Read It and Creep (My Sister The Vampire, #12) by Sienna Mercer Lucky Break (My Sister the Vampire, #7) by Sienna Mercer Take Two (My Sister the Vampire) by Sienna Mercer

message 5: by S!X (last edited Jul 03, 2017 11:00PM) (new)

S!X | 21 comments If i was the designer of MSTV, i would add the supporting characters (Charles Vega, Sophie, Camilla, Brendan, Charlotte, etc) in the cover image. I would also add pages that contain illustrations inside the book.
My favorite MSTV covers would be:
description description descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

When it comes to MBTW, i do like how the cover images show the supporting characters along with the main characters, though i felt that the composition felt repetitious. Unfortunately, i don't have any favorite MBTW cover.

message 6: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments I've never really looked at those Scholastic editions before but the ones you guys have put up are really cool! I think the one where they're on the chaise lounge thing (Vampire School Dropout) is my favourite, though I don't remember there being a cat in that book?!

message 7: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments The Scholastic editions are neat right! (lol re: the mystery cat Daisy, I love it when you notice things like that)

I love the idea of having supporting characters on the MSTV covers S!X. It would also make the MBTW covers more interesting if they messed around with other characters not just the main 4, Emma needs to make a cover appearance!