Stephen King Fans discussion

The King Himself > Sleeping Beauties book tour

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber | 10 comments Hi everyone! I see that there is a book tour coming up, I live in Canada but I am hoping to do a road trip to Montana to see him there. For anyone who has gone to one before, can you buy tickets online in advance or is it only in person? Thanks!

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3970 comments Amber wrote: "Hi everyone! I see that there is a book tour coming up, I live in Canada but I am hoping to do a road trip to Montana to see him there. For anyone who has gone to one before, can you buy tickets on..."

I've been to a few and they've all been different. At one store, if you pre-ordered the book you were guaranteed a seat. Other stores you had to buy a ticket, and still others, it was first come, first serve so a ridiculous queue. You'll need to contact the venue.

message 3: by Nicole (last edited Jun 02, 2017 01:50PM) (new)

Nicole Power (nicolepower) | 295 comments -hyperventilating-

Thanks for mentioning this, Amber. I'm so excited. I've never gone to one and I was kicking myself for not knowing about his Florida book-signing for End of Watch until day of. This time I'll be requesting off work months ahead of time to make sure I don't miss it, haha.

Link to tour dates:

https://stephenking.com/p/sleeping-be...

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg (popzeus) You guys are very lucky, he rarely makes any sort of appearance here in England, let alone a tour. Enjoy!

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3970 comments He doesn't come out to California, or any of the West Coast either. I did see him perform with the Rock Bottom Remainders here, and I guess that will have to suffice, because I don't think I'll make it back there to see him, mores the pity.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2102 comments Will there be updates on where specifically he will be going for each stop? Like for me, on September 28th, it just says he is going to be in the Boston area.

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber | 10 comments Erin wrote: "Will there be updates on where specifically he will be going for each stop? Like for me, on September 28th, it just says he is going to be in the Boston area."

I'm wondering this too! I keep checking the tour website every few days so that I can contact the venue in Montana ASAP to find out about tickets!

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2102 comments I saw that he released the locations for the tour but the one for Boston is already sold out. I don't know how people even got tickets so fast.

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 914 comments Maybe the bookstore sponsoring the event has an email newsletter with the info for tix. Otherwise people check the website several times a day for updates I guess.

message 10: by Nancy (last edited Jun 16, 2017 10:16AM) (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 914 comments I got a Milwaukee ticket! Chicago location wasn't listed yet. Either way it's the same distance travel time. So I decided to take a chance and got a ticket as soon as the tickets sales went live. Super excited!

message 11: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3970 comments Nancy wrote: "I got a Milwaukee ticket! Chicago location wasn't listed yet. Either way it's the same distance travel time. So I decided to take a chance and got a ticket as soon as the tickets sales went live. S..."

Did you have to purchase a ticket, or just sign up for one? Most of the author signings I have attended (no one on King's level!) you get a ticket to the signing if you are the first of XX to pre-purchase the book.

message 12: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments It sounds strange that they are charging for tickets. Is it in a book store? Normally those are open to the public and it would look silly for them to close the store and let only certain people in.

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 914 comments Kandice wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I got a Milwaukee ticket! Chicago location wasn't listed yet. Either way it's the same distance travel time. So I decided to take a chance and got a ticket as soon as the tickets sale..."

It's a ticket. It's not in a book store. The book store I think is like a sponsor. They probably are the ones who get to conduct the interview or whatever they like to call it (the theater website sales A Conversation with Stephen King and Owen King).

It's at a theater (stage not movie) that holds over 2000 people. You receive the hardcover of the book at the event. The ticket wasn't that expensive.

I noticed that the Boston event is being held at a church so maybe it doesn't hold as many people and possible why it sold out so fast Erin.

message 14: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Oh ok makes sense I wasn't trying to pry, was just curious as all the book signings I have seen here are in book stores.

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3970 comments Me too. I bought a ticket to see Neil Gaiman recently, but he was speaking at the Civic Center and NOT signing.

message 16: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Neil Gaiman is ok, but not in the same league as Stephen King. I know I am being pig headed but there it is I am a die hard King fan. You will find authors few and far between who can match or come close to matching Stephen King.

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 914 comments mrbooks wrote: "Oh ok makes sense I wasn't trying to pry, was just curious as all the book signings I have seen here are in book stores."

Probably too big of a mob to hold at a bookstore. The seats are at least assigned seating as well. So no one fighting over seats, LOL.

I was surprised when I saw the price. I thought it would be outrageous. I've seen online at things like comicon the prices to see these celebrities and get their autograph can be $100. I wouldn't pay that. I went to book con last year and autographs were free (part of the admission to get in). A few authors required a purchase of a book but would sign additional if you brought them but most the galley was free. Of course you had to get inside early to get wrist bands to see the authors you wanted or wait until they were at publishers booth (if they were going to both).

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3970 comments mrbooks wrote: "Neil Gaiman is ok, but not in the same league as Stephen King. I know I am being pig headed but there it is I am a die hard King fan. You will find authors few and far between who can match or come..."

I absolutely adore Gaiman, but still like King better.

I was just pointing out that the tickets being sold for Gaiman were for a performance, not a signing.

message 19: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3993 comments Book for book no one matches King... okay maybe the classical greats: Dickens, Conrad, Jane Austin, but otherwise... Take the best of any one author and put his/her books against the best of King and you're lost. Still, I can't think of any book that's quite as much fun or as enjoyable as Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman.

message 20: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments I am an avid King fan as you all know, but I am also an avid Poe fan. I love his work and think his descriptive writing is better then Kings. There are two reasons for this One he didn't have the visual and aural distraction that we have today. Two to get his message across he had to be able to not only make his audience understand what he was saying he had to make them feel his words. Try reading the Tell Tale Heart, when you get near the end of the story tell me you can't feel and hear the heart beat coming from under then floor boards.

In the Fall of the House of Usher near the end you can feel the oppressive silence and the silent screams of those trapped you can feel the despair of them sinking in to depression and madness.

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3970 comments mrbooks wrote: "I am an avid King fan as you all know, but I am also an avid Poe fan. I love his work and think his descriptive writing is better then Kings. There are two reasons for this One he didn't have the v..."

A man after my own heart! I also love and adore Poe. Every. Single. Word!

I am not a poetry fan in general, but his just gets me, every time.

message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2102 comments Nancy wrote: "I got a Milwaukee ticket! Chicago location wasn't listed yet. Either way it's the same distance travel time. So I decided to take a chance and got a ticket as soon as the tickets sales went live. S..."

That's awesome! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

message 23: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3993 comments mrbooks wrote: "I am an avid King fan as you all know, but I am also an avid Poe fan. I love his work and think his descriptive writing is better then Kings. There are two reasons for this One he didn't have the v..."

Yeah, when I said the Classic Greats, of course, I meant Poe. But I guess I should have made that clear.

message 24: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments That's ok Nick I sometimes get on a soap box and forget when it is time to get off. I just re-read what I wrote and it sounds almost like I'm preaching...

message 25: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3993 comments mrbooks wrote: "That's ok Nick I sometimes get on a soap box and forget when it is time to get off. I just re-read what I wrote and it sounds almost like I'm preaching..."

But you're right. I remember when I was a kid waking up really really early before anyone else and grabbing a book from the bedside table and reading THE MASK OF THE RED DEATH, and getting the crap scared out of me at 6 AM on a brilliant summer morning. No one writes like Poe.

message 26: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2547 comments Mod
I went to one of his book signings and it was amazing. I'll never forget.

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber | 10 comments Angie wrote: "I went to one of his book signings and it was amazing. I'll never forget."

I got tickets for the tour in Missoula, I am so excited!

message 28: by Jake (new)

Jake (jdken99) Going to see him in Naperville, IL. Anyone else?

message 29: by Nancy (last edited Aug 15, 2017 09:43AM) (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 914 comments I wasn't sure where the Chicago location would be and bought tickets to Milwaukee when they became available.

message 30: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 260 comments Jake wrote: "Going to see him in Naperville, IL. Anyone else?"

Jake, I am going to Naperville as well.

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol Has anyone been to this event yet? We are seeing them in an 800 seat theater. We bought tickets the day they went on sale and couldn't get two together! I'm very excited about seeing them. The tickets were only $40 and we will receive our copy of the book. Some will be signed, but there is no signing afterward.

message 32: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 914 comments The first show is on the 26th so no one would have gone yet.

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol I looked that up afterward! I didn't realize I was seeing him on the second night. Hope everyone that is able to go enjoys the conversation.

message 34: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 914 comments Anyone go yesterday? That was the first one. I am excited and going on Saturday.

message 35: by Amber (new)

Amber | 10 comments Can't wait! We're going on Monday, super excited :)

message 36: by Deyth (new)

Deyth Banger (deyth_banger) | 59 comments I am betting that this book is going to shake all people's expectations.

message 37: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2102 comments Nancy wrote: "Anyone go yesterday? That was the first one. I am excited and going on Saturday."

How was it?

message 38: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 914 comments I'll let you know tomorrow. It's tonight at 8:00.

message 39: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 260 comments I attended the tour event last night in Naperville. Wow! Talk about a lifetime experience. I can't believe I was in the same room with him. He and Owen were enjoying themselves and all of us in the crowd were loving every minute of it. I was so glad that I got to attend. And to make it better, I was one of the lucky ones that got a signed book. I wasn't expecting it so I am so happy!

message 40: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 914 comments ElleEm wrote: "I attended the tour event last night in Naperville. Wow! Talk about a lifetime experience. I can't believe I was in the same room with him. He and Owen were enjoying themselves and all of us in the..."

That's awesome! I didn't get a signed copy.

It was really good. They are really funny. I just got home. If I ever get a chance to go see him again at book promotion like this, I will definitely go.

message 41: by Erin (last edited Oct 01, 2017 04:31AM) (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2102 comments Nancy wrote: "ElleEm wrote: "I attended the tour event last night in Naperville. Wow! Talk about a lifetime experience. I can't believe I was in the same room with him. He and Owen were enjoying themselves and a..."

I'm glad to hear it was good. One of these days I'll try to go see him if he does another book tour. When I found out about Boston it was already sold out.

message 42: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 914 comments I took this picture with my phone (no flash):

message 43: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 61 comments Amazing- lucky you

message 44: by Richard (new)

Richard Jalbert | 10 comments Was that in Brooklyn? I went there with my wife, daughter, and her boyfriend. It iwas a great time. Based on the view it looks like you were a few rows in front of us.

message 45: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2102 comments That's a great picture, Nancy.

message 46: by Amber (new)

Amber | 10 comments Nice picture! Ours didn't turn out unfortunately but it was such a fun night. And we got lucky, my husband and I each got a signed copy of the book. Anyone else in the group go to the Montana book tour? Lots of laughs and some interesting stories :)

message 47: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 143 comments Nice pic. I’m jealous.

message 48: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3970 comments I envy all of you that live back East so get a chance to see them. He almost never comes to California. I saw his last performance with The Rock Bottom Remainders and told myself at the time that it would probably be the last time.

*sigh*

message 49: by Jake (new)

Jake (jdken99) I got a signed copy! Probably saw some of you fellow constant readers in Naperville, IL. I talked to a guy in the line for the bathroom about Cemetery Dance (magazine/publisher) for about 10 minutes. It was great to see so many people who share my enthusiasm for the King! Also, if you haven't read Owen King's Double Feature yet, do yourself a favor and get on that!

message 50: by Jake (new)

Jake (jdken99) ElleEm wrote: "I attended the tour event last night in Naperville. Wow! Talk about a lifetime experience. I can't believe I was in the same room with him. He and Owen were enjoying themselves and all of us in the..."

YEAH! Me too!

« previous 1