Anything Legal, Legal Thrillers, Legal Mysteries and More discussion

Writer's Discussion > BOOK MARKETING - GOODREADS

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments Calling all group authors to share your use of Goodreads to promote books.
Have you used the Goodreads giveaways or the Events in groups to promote your books?
This is a place to share what works and what does not.

message 2: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments Let's begin with GR paperback giveaways. I've run several campaigns, the cost is limited to your book and postage. If you limit the book to your country, postage is predictable. However if you make a worldwide giveaway, the costs could skyrocket.
The entrant can mark your books as WANT TO READ. If they do and you run another campaign for the same book, they will get an email.
I post a link on the general updates as well as tweet and put a notice up on Linkedin.
With each campaign I had a slight bump in sales. However, some entrants have 50k and higher books on their to be read. There is an open question if the books are resold.
I like this option.

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria Riegger | 126 comments Mod
I also had a good experience with Goodreads giveaways. I have run two and had over 1000 entries each time. Hundreds of people have my book(s) on their to-read lists, so it has definitely boosted visibility. It also led to bumps in reviews, so that's good. I plan on running the giveaways for future books.

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 180 comments I have won 29 GR giveaways since joining in Sept 2013. I pass the books on to family/friends. I have never sold any. I can't comment on others. I post my reviews on GR and Amazon. Amazon still accepts my reviews, possibly because I also post "verified purchase reviews."

message 5: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments Thomas wrote: "I have won 29 GR giveaways since joining in Sept 2013. I pass the books on to family/friends. I have never sold any. I can't comment on others. I post my reviews on GR and Amazon. Amazon still acce..."

Good to know they are so popular Thomas.

message 6: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments Another option on goodreads is the blog, you can start on the author dashboard. Then reduce the link and post to twitter, FB, Linkedin and post it on the general updates on the home page. There's a counter and a comment section.

message 7: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments Authors who use goodreads should check the links to Amazon and other stores occasionally. I've had working links that became corrupt and led to a page not found error.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria Riegger | 126 comments Mod
Following on Una's comment about your blog and Goodreads, if you link your blog (whether you use Wordpress or another platform) to your Goodreads Author Dashboard, every time you publish a post on your blog, it is automatically posted to your Goodreads Author page, and all your followers get a notice that you have published new content in their Goodreads newsfeed (when they get an update email from Goodreads).

Do you all use this feature? People can like/comment on your blog post on Goodreads, and can also click on the link to go directly to your blog.