Play Book Tag discussion

Curtain (Hercule Poirot, #44)
This topic is about Curtain
Archive: Other Books > Curtain by Agatha Christie 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 6888 comments Captain Arthur Hastings had been asked to join is very old friend, Hercules Poirot, at the site of the first murder Hastings saw Poirot solve. In addition, Hastings' favourite daughter, Julia, will be there. Poirot mystifies Hastings by telling him that someone he will only refer to as X is there, and that he has murdered five times before. Hastings is to try and find out who the intended victim is to try and stop the murder before it happens, but Hastings is flummoxed at the task.

This novel has my favourite twist of all of Christie's mysteries that I've read; I'm not even sure how many that is because I can't remember most of the titles I read while in high school, but I've read a fair number. Poirot mysteries were the ones on my parents' shelves; I learned about Miss Marple much later. What's the twist? Avoid all spoilers and read the book yourself. If you can't help but read the ending before you're done, get it on audio so you can't see ahead; this book will be well worth the wait.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I have never read anything by Agatha Christie but I did see that Murder on the Orient Express is being made into a movie!

Perhaps I will read that one, I like to read books then watch the movies...

Karin | 6888 comments Nicole R wrote: "I have never read anything by Agatha Christie but I did see that Murder on the Orient Express is being made into a movie!

Perhaps I will read that one, I like to read books then watc..."

Yes. Don't read Curtain as your first Poirot; there's a reason it's last. That said, I haven't read all 39 Poirots. I haven't read Murder on the Orient Express in years, but don't plan to read it again as I think I've read it twice.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Other than not reading the last one first, I do not have to read them in any specific order, do I?

message 5: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 2715 comments Nicole R wrote: "Other than not reading the last one first, I do not have to read them in any specific order, do I?"

It doesn't really matter that much, but the earlier mysteries are better. Although, part of what I like is the way she depicts early to mid 20th century England, even when that comes along with the stereotypes and prejudice of the time.

Mostly, I think I enjoy them because I love the way Hugh Fraser reads them. If you want to listen to Murder on the Orient Express avoid the one that's read by David Suchet. He's wonderful playing Poirot for the BBC, but he's terrible reading the female voices in the book.

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments Nicole R wrote: "I have never read anything by Agatha Christie but I did see that Murder on the Orient Express is being made into a movie!

Perhaps I will read that one, I like to read books then watc..."

Yes- saw they just released a trailer for the new Murder on the Orient Express movie! Johnny Depp, Judi Dench, Michelle Pheiffer, Josh Gadd and more!! Definitely have to read this before the movie comes out!

I've owned And Then There Were None for a while now, but I'm nervous to read it as my first Christie since many dub it as "her best".

also- didn't realize there are 39 Poirot! Holy cow!!!

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Jgrace wrote: "Mostly, I think I enjoy them because I love the way Hugh Fraser reads them. If you want to listen to Murder on the Orient Express avoid the one that's read by David Suchet. He's wonderful playing Poirot for the BBC, but he's terrible reading the female voices in the book. "

Thank you for the tip! You know I love me some audiobooks :)

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Joi wrote: "I've owned And Then There Were None for a while now, but I'm nervous to read it as my first Christie since many dub it as "her best". "

This is the one I always thought I would start with as I dive into Agatha Christie, but the movie has me changing my mind. Perhaps ATTWN will be the follow up!

Karin | 6888 comments The earlier ones may be better overall, but I still think this one has the best twist I remember.

message 10: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 2715 comments Karin wrote: "The earlier ones may be better overall, but I still think this one has the best twist I remember."

I'm saving this one until I've read all of the others. I've only got a few left. Then I guess I'll move on to Miss Marple, but I'll miss Hugh Fraser as much as I will miss Poirot.