EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
[ARCHIVES] BOTM SUGGESTIONS > BOTM Suggestions Aug '17 - Classics (1969 and before)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kaseadillla (new)

Kaseadillla | 1437 comments Mod
Hello all! Starting up the monthly discussions for August 2017 book-of-the-month suggestions. This discussion is for the CLASSICS CATEGORY.

This month, we'll be trying a theme - BACK TO SCHOOL. Nominate a book that you read in class, or your kids are reading for class, anything to gear us back up for back to school shopping =)

I'll start off by suggesting A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 396 comments I'd like to suggest The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

message 3: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Kaseadillla wrote: "Hello all! Starting up the monthly discussions for August 2017 book-of-the-month suggestions. This discussion is for the CLASSICS CATEGORY.

This month, we'll be trying a theme - BACK TO SCHOOL. No..."

I second A Tale of Two Cities. It was one I was *supposed* to read in high school but didn't lol

message 4: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Wolford (assiduous-savant) | 10 comments I would like to suggest The OutsidersS.E. Hinton

message 5: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Wolford (assiduous-savant) | 10 comments I think it really fits the back to school theme in a different way then assigned reading for class . The Outsiders is a coming-of-age novel by S. E. Hinton, first published in 1967 by Viking Press. Hinton was 15 when she started writing the novel, but did most of the work when she was 16 and a junior in high school.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I will second the Outsiders and suggest Julius Caesar.

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I would like to nominate A Separate Peace by John Knowles. I'm sad my children didn't have to read it in school, but all my contemporaries did. I think it's well worth reading, and even revisiting if you read it at a different stage of life.

message 8: by Steffi (new)

Steffi (steffiw) | 24 comments Sad to say I endured some truely horrible books in school! lol :-/ Though there were some highlights.... so i'll nominate To Kill a Mockingbird :-D

message 9: by Steffi (new)

Steffi (steffiw) | 24 comments oh and i'd definitely second A Tale of Two Cities!!

message 10: by Angel (new)

Angel Gavrikova | 8 comments I'll second A Tale of Two Cities
But I do suggest The Hero and the Crown it's a great book, and I loved it when I read it in middle school.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments I'll second The Outsiders, I like that idea. :)

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 99 comments The Outsiders! That has been on my to read list FOREVER!

message 13: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Lee | 16 comments I would like to nominate The Kite Runner and definitely second Harry Potter

message 14: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Lee | 16 comments Oops wrong thread. Lol

message 15: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Lee | 16 comments I second A Tale of Two Cities!

message 16: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 298 comments I second Jane Eyre ( again!)

If not then David Copperfield

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I second A Tale of Two Cities, been wanting to read that for so long

message 18: by Luella (new)

Luella | 133 comments Does college count? If so I'd like to nominate The Republic

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I will also second The Republic. Good choice!

message 20: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Al Lawati (zainaballawati) | 234 comments I am seconding A Tale of Two Cities.

message 21: by Pye (new)

Pye (helenduvall) | 43 comments I would like to nominate The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. Had to read it in high school and I still often think of it.

message 22: by Chandley Rose (new)

Chandley Rose (chandleyrose) | 10 comments I nominate A Separate Peace by John Knowles--I know my parents have both read it, I'm not sure if it was in school or not, but I have heard only amazing things.

I would also nominate East of Eden by John Steinbeck!

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Chandley wrote: "I nominate A Separate Peace by John Knowles--I know my parents have both read it, I'm not sure if it was in school or not, but I have heard only amazing things.

I would also nominate East of Eden ..."

I nominated A Separate Peace, so can you be the second? I would so love to read it with a group of adults!

message 24: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 93 comments Last year, my students read Lord of the Flies. Next year, we might do Farenheit 451. We also read Night. All of those were excellent.

message 25: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Kandice wrote: "Chandley wrote: "I nominate A Separate Peace by John Knowles--I know my parents have both read it, I'm not sure if it was in school or not, but I have heard only amazing things.

I would also nomin..."

I will second A Separate Peace as well. It's on my mom's bookshelf collecting dust, just begging to be read lol

message 26: by Chandley Rose (new)

Chandley Rose (chandleyrose) | 10 comments Kandice wrote: "Chandley wrote: "I nominate A Separate Peace by John Knowles--I know my parents have both read it, I'm not sure if it was in school or not, but I have heard only amazing things.

I would also nomin..."

Yes I'm sorry, I second A Separate Peace!

message 27: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Keeton | 264 comments A Tale of Two Cities or David Copperfield.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1117 comments Mod
I second both A Separate Peace and The Outsiders.

message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine (clarkepopunta) | 122 comments Maybe The Grapes of Wrath though it's pretty long.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments I have been wanting to read Grapes of Wrath again in my adult life. As a teenager I really enjoyed it, even though some of the chapters were about things like a turtle crossing the road.

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine (clarkepopunta) | 122 comments As Marco pointed out, One Hundred Years of Solitude belongs here, and we could use a little Latin America 'round here.

message 32: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Lee | 16 comments I'll second One Hundred Years of Solitude

message 33: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1863 comments Mod
Yes, like I said over there, I intended to suggest a book from a non-English language literature this month. Great choice, first nominated by Chandley and now Christine - thanks, Christine -, is One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I'll second this! :-)

This is one of the great authors from Latin America and a Nobel Prize winner. And this year is the 50th anniversary of the publication of this book (in 1967), so, a good opportunity for reading it. There are some commemorative editions being publhished.

message 34: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Al Lawati (zainaballawati) | 234 comments I am seconding One Hundred Years of Solitude. I've been searching for a physical copy with great Arabic translation since forever. Unfortunately, the one I got had an awful translation. However, if it won as a book of the month I will give up and purchase an English translated edition.

message 35: by Chandley Rose (new)

Chandley Rose (chandleyrose) | 10 comments Marcos wrote: "Yes, like I said over there, I intended to suggest a book from a non-English language literature this month. Great choice, first nominated by Chandley and now Christine - thanks, Christine -, is [b..."

Thank you Marcos! Oversight on my part but yes, indeed this book has been on my shelf for too long, a gift given to me from my Uncle since it is his favorite, and I need to broaden my horizons for sure.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments I'll nominate Invisible Man by Ellison. It is the only book I was assigned to read in HS that I liked and I want to read it again.

message 37: by Brian (new)

Brian (cheletteo) | 10 comments I want to second The Illustrated Man

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Invisible Man sounds good to me I'll second it

message 39: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Ames (kmames) | 152 comments Two things...

I second The Outsiders

And I would like to nominate the lion, the witch and the wardrobe...I accidentally did it on the other thread (the one for after 1970) and it was already seconded several times...I have not actually counted how many but it's on the other thread.

message 40: by Brian (new)

Brian (cheletteo) | 10 comments Second One Hundred Years of Solitude!

message 41: by Daphne (last edited Jun 08, 2017 01:09PM) (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 7 comments I will second A Tale of Two Cities.

The Outsiders is a fantastic choice as that was my all-time favorite book growing up. I had three different copies while I was in my teens as I kept wearing them out.

message 42: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 1 comments I'd recommend Bridge to Terabithia- it's a lovely read, and takes you right back to being a kid again, where imagination rules all! For me it's the perfect blend of fantasy and reality.

message 43: by Marcos (last edited Jun 07, 2017 02:29PM) (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1863 comments Mod
Hey, catchuppers, you need all be careful and have an extra look before nominating books. :-)

" Bridge to Terabithia" is a 1977 book, so, must be nominated on our other thread (1970 and after).

"The Hero and the Crown" is 1984, so, the same applies. (OK, this one is already nominated there.)

message 44: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas Here's me recommending The Great Gatsby

I read it in highschool and my girlfriend just bought a copy... great book, I'd love to reread with the group! :)

message 45: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizt-i) | 3 comments I second Jane Eyre!

message 46: by Dina (new)

Dina I nominate Night by Elie Wiesel

message 47: by Francesca M (new)

Francesca M | 6 comments I second The Great Gatsby and also nominate Anna Karenina, I really can’t read that book on my own :)!

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Viser | 7 comments Francesca M wrote: "I second The Great Gatsby and also nominate Anna Karenina, I really can’t read that book on my own :)!"

Oooh The Great Gatsby and Anna Karenina sound good. I will be a junior in high school and I'm like 95% sure that The Great Gatsby is one of our required books, but it'd be nice to get a headstart.

message 49: by Brady (new)

Brady I will go with "One Hundred Years of Solitude" also.

message 50: by Christine (new)

Christine (clarkepopunta) | 122 comments I think the problem with the dates is that Goodreads lists the publication dates often as the most popular publication rather than the original publication date.

For example, A Wrinkle in Time was originally published in the glorious 60s, but the history-rewriters of Goodreads list publication as in the 70s. Assholes.

Anyhoo, my nominations here remain The Grapes of Wrath and One Hundred Years of Solitude.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.