Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > And the September 17 winner is....

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Chris
Ahdam
Liam
Nikki
Samir
Hacen
Elizabeth

Each person was assigned a number based on when they threw there name in for consideration. I then used an online random number generator selecting 1 through 7 as min and max.

The number 2 and Adham was selected. Now you'll have to live up to your nickname of Adham Good Story. :)

If you can post your 5 books here and a brief blurb as to why you selected them by Monday I'll make sure they meet the intended criteria and diversification and then put the poll up.

Congrats.

message 2: by Kieron (new)

Kieron Congrats Adham going boldly where no man has gone before

message 3: by Kieron (new)

Kieron Sorry Ahdam I managed to spell your name wrong 1st time

message 4: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Hahaha no worries Kieron it's a weird spelling but hey what can you do and thank you Kieron and Scott I have a good idea what I want to put forward some people may or may not have read but I'll be sure to do it by then should be interesting

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Sorry I keep flip-flopping the spelling as well.

message 6: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Exciting! I'm looking forward to this!

message 7: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7054 comments Mod
Alright Ahdam!! Excited to see what you pick. :)

message 8: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 881 comments Congrats Ahdam!

message 9: by Ahdam (last edited Jun 02, 2017 10:57AM) (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Okay so I've spent some time thinking about it and I think I've got it so Scott please tell me if these fits the criteria for the polls.

1. The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher

2. The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron

3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

4.Mage's Blood by David Hair

5.The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington

Reason for choices

These were vey hard decisions as I wanted to choose ones that I wanted to read but also want to read with the group some of the books I chose were because of the premise such as mages blood, the shadow of what was lost and others I chose because of the intrigue after reading samples such as the spirit thief. I also wanted to try a hand at reading other genres such as science fiction and try steampunk again and who better than Jim Butcher.

So here it is I really hope you guys find any of the book I chose interesting and cannot wait for you to join me in the one that you will vote for sooooo yeah I believe I am done I leave the rest to you.

message 10: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

!!!!!!!!! I am geeking out at your picks. Great job! :D They look good to me as far as criteria goes.

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jun 02, 2017 11:35AM) (new)

Ahdam wrote: ""

Those are a perfect blend. I've read 4 of the 5 so I'll add my comments. You couldn't have done a better job. I'll set the poll up and email the group about it. I'll do a one week time limit to vote.

1. The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher A steampunk/sci-fi world. I loved this book and gave it 5*'s. Butcher adds a layer of comedy with......cats. :)

2. The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron The only one I haven't read. I read the description and it's so different than all the other choices.

3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline A sci-fi futurist virtual reality world with nostalgic ties to the 1980's and the advent of video games becoming mainstream.

4.Mage's Blood by David Hair I've read the entire series and gave each book 3.75*'s with the last getting 4.25*'s. There's a lot of European and Middle Eastern historical fiction from the crusades era built into the story and magic.

5.The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington First book in the series and the second comes out later this summer. A solid 4* book. If you're a fan of quest books like WoT and LotR this is in your wheelhouse.

message 12: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Ironically, spirit thief I've read and it's one of my fav series. Anything by Rachel Aaron is golden. She wrote the dragon one Elizabeth and I are reading in July.

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

message 14: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3898 comments Good picks! I loved the Aeornaut's Windlass and The Spirit Thief. The Shadow of What Was Lost is on my to-read list.

message 15: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Nice picks Ahdam :)

message 16: by Kieron (new)

Kieron The only one I have a read is Ready Player One which I actually listened to on audio. It is one of the best audio books I have listened to and is in the top 10 of all time here on Goodreads.

message 17: by Kieron (new)

Kieron Nice selection Ahdam.

message 18: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Thanks guys and its nice to see some people have read these since a lot of the books are ones I really want to read with you guy and I can't wait to see what the polls look like

message 19: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Personally if I had to do top 3 it would be mages blood shadow of what was lost and spirit thief just to how interesting they are to me and it kind of has a read me pull to them if that makes sense

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments congrats!

message 21: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Congratulations Ahram. Great list.

message 22: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Right now it's neck and neck Shadow of What Was Lost, and Windlass!

(Someone vote for the Shadow!)

message 23: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Tell me about it Margret I honestly didn't know what to expect and while I am happy reading all of these (I chose them why wouldn't I) I may or may not have one that is more exciting than the other.

Also I like to think of this as the new upcoming author against an established well known author in the genre kind of thing right now 😂😂

message 24: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

I am allergic to Jim Butcher. I tried.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments I didn't even realize until yesterday that the Shadow one was on my to-read list XD I voted for Jim Butcher but either of those and I'll be knocking a book off my very long list. only one I have tea on there is Spirit Thief.

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "I am allergic to Jim Butcher. I tried."

I like some of his stuff and other.....not so much. Weeks and Rothfuss are the genre's two biggest names that I just don't get all the love.

message 27: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

It might've helped if you were listening to the Simon Vance version, but I've been ruined by audio before, said I would read the HC instead... then just eventually removed the book from my shelf. So I totally get you!

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I read the prelude book to the way of shadows and didn't like that either. His humor is a bit juvenile to me, and coming from me that's saying something.

message 29: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Scott wrote: "I read the prelude book to the way of shadows and didn't like that either. His humor is a bit juvenile to me, and coming from me that's saying something."

My cousin had read Weeks books and enjoyed them but when I read the first 3/4 chapters of way of shadows I was really bothered because I had difficulty suspending my disbelief in certain parts and it didn't flow properly I will still read it but what I read seemed worrying.

Also when I read Rothuss I was slightly overhyped by the praises that it being an amazing book and while I liked the book I felt like the overhype ruined it for me

message 30: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Night angel was definitely juvenile, and I heard the novella was crap. So I can understand your distaste.

After hearing about you disliking Rothfuss though jinxed me for book 2 cause I was so not drinking the koolaid on that series anymore lol! So many hours wasted on the Name of the Wind 2: Kvothe gets laid

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "Kvothe gets laid "

Did he talk about his prowess in the sack for fifty pages as with everything else he does?

message 32: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

I was listening... but yes. Kvothe was apparently a sex ninja right from losing his virginity 🙄

message 33: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Hey! The Shadow of What Was Lost is on sale for the US at $2.99 (amazon has an "Add Audible Narration" for $3.49).

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

The narration is Michael Kramer who is as good as it gets.

message 35: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Yay it won! Suck it Jim Butcher!

message 36: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Somehow I missed that detail - yay!!!!

message 37: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Them are fighting words right there.

message 38: by Kieron (new)

Kieron When are we reading this?

message 39: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Kieron wrote: "When are we reading this?"

September.