Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > Books to Avoid

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 03, 2017 06:27PM) (new)

Books that bothered me and recommendedly avoid:

1.The Fault in Our Stars
I hated this book because it made me cry, nevertheless, it's a good story.

2.The Giving Tree
It was my best friend who first spotted this because it had a cute cover. We read the story together and when we finished, I realized it was the biggest mistake of my life. First of all, it bothered my conscience so much that it kept me awake that whole night thinking how much I wanted to kick the boy in the ass and slap the tree in the face. Nevertheless, it's a good story for kids.

3. Looking for Alaska
(view spoiler)

4. and most of all...
Fifty Shades of Grey
well I don't have to explain that to you.

SO please guys if you know other books like these share them so we would know which books to avoid. Thanks.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I hated All The Bright Places with my whole heart.

Everything is wrong with this book, the relationships are based on remorse, death and dependence. Moreover the writing is pathetic and terribly annoying.
I would not recommend it to anyone with a good taste, sorry not sorry!

message 3: by Rima (new)

Rima Ben Hammadi | 159 comments I hated A Good Woman by Danielle STEEL. It was so boring. I couldn't bring my self to read more than just one chapter at a time. after I finished it, I felt like i've through a very bad experience that no one should go through...

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria Tag | 3 comments - ̗̀ le trouble ̖́- wrote: "Books that bothered me and recommendedly avoid:

1.The Fault in Our Stars

2.The Giving Tree
It was my best friend who fir..."

I agree wholeheartedly about The Giving Tree. Selfish kid! And books to avoid:
The Thing about Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin.
Ugh. One word. Ugh.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 125 comments A books to avoid hmm.

Love Letters to the Dead

That book was boring, but got better almost near the end of the book.

The Kite Runner

Ugg idk why so many people loved this story.

Some Kind of Normal

The female lead was such a brat. I couldn't stand her! I rated it 3 and half stars because I loved the male lead, but since I hated the girl I brought it down lower...

message 6: by *TANYA* (new)

*TANYA* | 8 comments The AFTER series by Anna Todd complete garbage!! Lol. One of the books had 193 chapters!! Very repetitive. Dreadful.

message 7: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 67 comments I absolutely despise Looking for Alaska. I thought the cursing really made the story drag, and I'm fine with a little cursing in books here and there, but in this, it really just dragged. I also DNF'd The Fall by Bethany Griffin. I thought this was such a slow book and confusing to follow. Also, if you can, The Old Man and the Sea, now I had to read it for school, but it was pointless since nothing happened

message 8: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 67 comments @TANYA My friend loves that series lol. But she loves Harry Styles too, haha

message 9: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Aristodemou (andreasaristodemou) | 92 comments If I stay -> just watch the movie, it's much much much much better
An abundance of Katherines -> I really disliked it because I saw no purpose of it. Plus, I feel like J. Green's characters are always the same (I only like LFA)

message 10: by *TANYA* (new)

*TANYA* | 8 comments I love Harry Styles too. It started as a joke with my BFF and then progressed into true admiration. But I read 2 and half books before I gave up. lol. I'm not a teenager either. lol.

message 11: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 67 comments Haha, I also love Harry Styles too. I still need to listen to his album and I'm ashamed I haven't yet

message 12: by Louise (last edited Jun 02, 2017 10:26AM) (new)

Louise | 100 comments Now i know some people love these but:

Heartless omg its so slow, boring and full of annoying characters!

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children I found the characters depressing, uninterresting and the story so boring.

Let the Right One In Mainly two characters in the whole book, and the mood is so depressing, like really depressing!!

Soundless i read this because it seened interresting and i really like the author but oh my god, avoid it! It had so much potential but nothing happend!

The Host like why did i even bother?

The Bane Chronicles i like the mortal instruments, but this just got to boring and so uninterresting

Fifty Shades of Grey "...............nothing said

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 125 comments Louise wrote: "Now i know some people love these but:

Heartless omg its so slow, boring and full of annoying characters!

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children I found the ch..."

Lol I understand about the Host, but I also think it was better than Twilight....every book I have ever read is better than Twilight except for the one I hate more than anything I have ever hated in life...which I mentioned above. lol

message 14: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uke | 61 comments 1. Twilight: picked it up while curious what all the fuss was about, terrible-plop book.

2. Mortal instruments, is it ANOTHER young-adult love-triabngle? Maybe an overly contrived fantasy story-arc? Who knows!

3. Catcher in the rye, it's a victim of it's own success. In its day, nobody thought about writing edgy-rebellious teens. Nowadays that's all people typically write about.

4. Anything Charles Dickens. Heard of the term 'long-story-short'? He's short story long. Great example of why you shouldn't pay writer's by the word. Reading him feels like I'm being hit in the head with a tiny hammer all the live-long day.

message 15: by Halima (new)

Halima (hallythemartian) | 20 comments (Please don't get offended if I mention a book you liked, it's my personal taste after all)

1- Everything Everything. That book is pure garbage! Although it seems cute and it has amazing cute little drawings and original stuff. The story isn't realistic and it even offended real people who suffer from SCID. Also, it has insta love and the MC is just yet another stupid teenager. Oh and the "plot twist" if we can call it that way is a huge let down.

2- To All The Boys I've Loved Before trilogy. I onlt read the first 2 books, don't even plan on reading the 3rd. Well, the first book was a bit okay but still not worth the hype but the 2nd book is just awful and the MC was everything I hate. Just another cliché YA. It even seemed like I was reading a story about Middle schoolers and not people that are only a year or two younger than me.

3- Thirteen Reasons Why. I just don't want to talk about it, it gets me frustrated but just trust me, don't waste your time.

That's all I can remember for now.

message 16: by Janett (new)

Janett (sweetwaterspice) | 56 comments I've got a "TRASH" bookshelf for these. I'm usually pretty objective and fair about the books I read so if a book winds up on this shelf you know I must've REALLY hated it!

"The Heir" - WTH?! Why was this even written and WHY do I care? Talk about taking a cute love story and smashing into oblivion!

"The Crown" - WHYYYYY? The torture continues! One of my favorite series got another boat load of POOP dumped all over it!

"Allegient" - Horrible. There was no excuse for this book to end the way it did!

"City of Fallen Angels" - Trust me. If you're a "TMI" fan don't waste your time reading this 600 page book full of absolutely useless crap. If you must read it, skip to the last 4 chapters which is what this entire book should've been about!

I wish I could get my money back for these books!!!

message 17: by Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ (last edited Jun 02, 2017 12:54PM) (new)

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 102 comments Divergent-This entire series was terrible. Great premise, but the main character was one of the worst main characters I've ever seen.

Red Queen -The first book is terrible. Thankfully, the second and third books redeemed it, but just barely.

Cruel Beauty -Horrible main character all-around. And a terrible retelling of a good fairy tale.

Burning Glass -So much wasted potential here. A poorly-thought out fantasy world, and the main character was also awful.

Anastasia's Secret-The only book I've ever given a one-star review to. A terrible portrayal of a tragic figure and her family. I literally cry every single time I see a positive review of this book by a 'historian'.

I'll probably come back later and shred apart more popular books haha.

message 18: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 125 comments Elizabeth♛ Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ wrote: "Divergent-This entire series was terrible. Great premise, but the main character was one of the worst main characters I've ever seen. She deserved to die at the end.

[book:Red Que..."

I'm sorry, but you shouldn't put spoilers in your answers just in case someone hasn't read the book and wants too.

message 19: by Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ (last edited Jun 02, 2017 12:54PM) (new)

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 102 comments Angela wrote: "Elizabeth♛ Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ wrote: "Divergent-This entire series was terrible. Great premise, but the main character was one of the worst main characters I've ever see..."

Alright, I'll mark that spoiler.

message 20: by annesofie (new)

annesofie (ananasofie) | 204 comments I'm gonna get slaughtered for this, but I thought that All the Bright Places was so problematic :(.

Mental illness is glamourized & used as a plot device, it has the worst trope of all tropes aka love saves you ("feeling suicidal? get yourself a boyfriend & it'll be over!")+ the characters aren't people. They become their illnesses.

It is also a major rip off of The Fault in Our Stars.. only with suicide instead of cancer (and tfios was better come @ me). I mean c'mon, Finch & Violet are quirky ass way too wise people for their age just like Gus & Hazel (only did I like Gus & Hazel), the plot is also so similar god i mean even the damn letter. And Finch puts an unlit cigarette in his mouth which is a small detail but I mean cmon the unlit cigarette is the most tfios thing of all tfios things.

But as soon as you criticise the book, Niven hides behind the "it's based on my real life experience so you cant criticise it" shield. I really love what she /wanted/ to do but it just wasn't a good rep of mental illness.

Just my opinion though. Read the book if you want to, I'd just really do not recommend it.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 102 comments You're not the only person who thinks that, trust me.

message 22: by annesofie (new)

annesofie (ananasofie) | 204 comments ah i'm glad someone felt the same way holy

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Annesofie wrote: "I'm gonna get slaughtered for this, but I thought that All the Bright Places was so problematic :(.

Mental illness is glamourized & used as a plot device, it has the worst trope of all tropes aka..."

description

Janett wrote: "I've got a "TRASH" bookshelf for these. I'm usually pretty objective and fair about the books I read so if a book winds up on this shelf you know I must've REALLY hated it!

"The Heir"
- WTH?! ..."

description

Benjamin wrote: "1. Twilight: picked it up while curious what all the fuss was about, terrible-plop book.

2. Mortal instruments, is it ANOTHER young-adult love-triabngle? Maybe an overly contrived fantasy story-ar..."

description

message 24: by Superbambi (new)

Superbambi | 285 comments - ̗̀ le trouble ̖́- wrote: "Books that bothered me and recommendedly avoid:

1.The Fault in Our Stars

2.The Giving Tree
It was my best friend who fir..."

Yo you spoiled Looing for Alaska for me?

message 25: by Suzi Evelyn (new)

Suzi Evelyn (suzievelyn) | 73 comments These are my personal opinions. They're not made for the purpose of offending you.

1) The Selection
The writing is awful. I mean, it improves as the series progresses, but I personally thought that all three books (I'm going to consider it a trilogy, even though I know it's not) had bad writing. The author basically just leaves the reader to imagine the settings on their own because Cass couldn't be bothered to incorporate any details or imagery. I feel like you can only enjoy the Selection if you like Maxon or enjoy reality tv-esque dystopian novels that aren't really dystopian novels. I can't really understand why you'd like either.

2)Egg & Spoon
This one's mostly unheard of, which I think is a great thing. There was nothing that interested me when I read it, it was too quirky and random, I think I remember there being plot holes, and there's nothing remarkable about it whatsoever. It's extremely confusing and the plot is everywhere; I couldn't even keep track of what I was supposed to be caring about.

3) Unravel Me
This is the second book in the Shatter Me series. The first one was better than the second one. If Juliette was annoying in Book 1, she's unbearable in this one. So much repetition and nonsensical metaphors. There's less of the strikethroughs, though. And Juliette is just so dramatic about everything. And I didn't like the whole Warner thing whatsoever. There's this part in Book 3, where Warner's basically saying that a lot of the terrible things he did were actually just these big lies and that he's not so horrible after all. How can anyone buy that for one moment? It's like the author just suddenly decided after she wrote Shatter Me, hey, what if I try to be special and make the villain the love interest instead. I feel like maybe Tahereh Mafi actually changed her mind after Shatter Me. I didn't think the Warner thing was believable at all. And of course Juliette believed it, which just made me hate her even more than I already did.

4) Crossed
I barely even want to talk about this one because it's just so pathetic. There's no plot, no action, and a stupid love triangle that only makes the lack of plot and action worse.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Superbambi wrote: "- ̗̀ le trouble ̖́- wrote: "Books that bothered me and recommendedly avoid:

1.The Fault in Our Stars

2.The Giving Tree
I..."

sorry.

message 27: by Superbambi (new)

Superbambi | 285 comments You might want to edit a spoiler warning into it? Just saying. :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. Okay. Thanks for not being furious.

message 29: by Jess (new)

Jess (divinereader_) | 6 comments 1. Twilight : nope, awful, horrible, only read about half way and dnf'd it. And I never dnf books.

2. The Hunger Games trilogy : honestly this is an alright series but I would say skip the books and watch the movies instead. Catching Fire was the only interesting book. The first book was boring half the time. And the third book just pissed me off.

3. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown : did not care for the characters, did not like the romance, confusing at times, also very boring, flashbacks were unnecessary.

message 30: by Superbambi (new)

Superbambi | 285 comments - ̗̀ le trouble ̖́- wrote: "Yeah. Okay. Thanks for not being furious."

lol it's fine. I've lived through the ultimate spoiler already, when my high school French teacher spoiler The Sixth Sense for me when he was trying to explain what a plot twist was...

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

OH that's so awful. You should've told him to spoil something else.

message 32: by Asounani (last edited Jun 03, 2017 07:02PM) (new)

Asounani | 22 comments Let's see:

1. Afher (This series taught me to read reviews before I started reading something, so I would have known about One Direction)

2. After (I hate every word in this book)

3. Covenant Series

4. 50 shades

5. After

6. Confessions of a Virgin Sex Columnist!

7. Lucky Number Four

8. Love at stake Series

9. The Mortal Instruments Series

10. Twilight (I did not read it, it became famous before I started it and that saved me)

11. Foverever Series

12. Matched Series (I read two pages, only that was enough)

13. Caster Chronicles

14. Crossfire Series

And more... I'm sure that I'll run into more. Sorry if you like some of this but is not for me.

Seema ♥Nerdgirl♥ (brotherlyloveisbeautiful) | 38 comments The Hunger Games

message 34: by Ash (new)

Ash | 30 comments The Night Circus

This book is dreadfully boring, the most over hyped book ever. It put me in a horrible reading slump, and almost gave me my very first DNF.

message 35: by jillianAKAjill (new)

jillianAKAjill | 1 comments LOVING this topic lol
Just of the top of my head

What Light by Jay Asher I thought it was gonna be a cute Christmas read and instead I got the most pathetic insta-love story there ever was. I made a drinking game for it though if you happen to read it: Take a shot every time a peppermint mocha is mentioned...

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell... my first dnf of the year. Just NO.

message 36: by ~Bellegirl91~ (new)

~Bellegirl91~ (bellegirl91) | 78 comments Blood Rose Rebellion: it was my first DNF at 35-36% and it was SOOO bad. Kudos for those who did end up liking it, but it had no structure, the plot did sound really good duh but it seriously HAD NOTHING and felt like it as random. Character development was HORRIFIC and I wasn't fangirling and in order for me to love a YA book (or a book in general) I NEED to be fangirling!

message 37: by Rana (new)

Rana (bibliophilequeenpauperoffandoms) | 15 comments *The Heir* Honestly, Eadlyn was really whiny and bratty and I couldn't get through it at all.

*Seven Black Diamonds* It was really slow paced and there wasn't any action (that I was expecting at all).

message 38: by ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω (last edited Jun 22, 2017 02:35PM) (new)

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω | 39 comments Lydia wrote: "Wow its so funny seeing a few books that I liked, others don't! I would have to say:

1. Empress of a Thousand Skies - no just no. I had so many problems with the story telling of this book that it..."

YES! Empress of a Thousand Skies was soooooo ugghhh! It had the potential, but it missed it by miles -_- I think it needed to cook on the back burner longer.

Also, Children of Eden. I had to DNF it after 31pgs. So bad.

And of course the Twilight series

message 39: by Miriam (new)

Miriam (miriamabrams) | 3 comments E v e r y t h I n g by Sarah J Maas.

Everything, Everything

13 Reasons Why

Falling Kingdoms

The Black Witch

And many more tbh

message 40: by Fishface (last edited Jun 23, 2017 11:55AM) (new)

message 41: by Rima (new)

Rima Ben Hammadi | 159 comments Fishface wrote: "Does tbh = "to be hated"? :)

If "everything by..." is a kosher thing to list, let me list everything by Jack Rosewood.

[book:Jeffrey Dahmer: A Terrifying True Story of Rape, Murder & Cannibalism|..."

tbh is To Be Honest =)

message 42: by Fishface (new)

Fishface Oh! :)

message 43: by NerdyJediGymnast (new)

NerdyJediGymnast | 191 comments Fall From Grace by Charles Benoit

Oh my God, this book makes me furious and put me in a reading slump FOREVER. Hated the characters and everything

message 44: by Jewel (new)

Jewel Miriam wrote: "E v e r y t h I n g by Sarah J Maas.

Everything, Everything

13 Reasons Why

Falling Kingdoms

The Black Witch

And many more tbh"

I agree about Falling Kingdoms. Usually when I dislike a book, I can still put myself in other people's shoes and kind of understand what they liked about it. But this book... nope. It was so badly written and the characters were such horrendous little babies with noodles for brains.

message 45: by Loeka (new)

Loeka (loekareads) | 1 comments The Girl on the Train

This is honestly the most boring book I've read. It's so overrated. I made is to page 200 and I just couldn't take it anymore. The main character is drunk all the time and obsessed with her ex, which is not interesting enough to write about for 200 pages. I heard the last 30 paged were more interesting, but I'm not planning to find out.
First book I have not finished, ever. No regrets. (Actually, my only regret is starting it)

message 46: by Dilinna (new)

Dilinna | 31 comments The game and Her solider by H.J bellus!!!!! So annoying!!!!! It upset me so much because the first book was great but it jst went downhill for the rest

message 47: by Dilinna (new)

Dilinna | 31 comments Loeka wrote: "The Girl on the Train

This is honestly the most boring book I've read. It's so overrated. I made is to page 200 and I just couldn't take it anymore. The main character is drunk all..."

!!!!!!!!! U totally said my mind...i struggled while also wondering why the massive hype for this book..like seriously. It was so hard to be carried along but i went on to at least see the end

message 48: by Ericka (new)

Ericka (erickalundry) The Spectacular Now was TERRIBLE and I found it so problematic. I read it because the movie with Shalene Woodley was coming out and I heard relatively good things about it. After reading it and rating 1 star, I didn't even want to see the movie.

message 49: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 67 comments The Fall by Bethany Griffin. -_- Oh my word, just no! It was terrible! It was supposed to be a "horror" novel, but I didn't get that at all! I just kept falling asleep whenever I turned the page. The chapters were really short and it was a 400 page book! I thought it was extremely choppy and dragging. No thank you. Maybe I'll give it a second chance, Idk. I doubt it would change my opinion. However, maybe if you like Edgar Allan Poe you would like The Fall, since it's based on The Fall of the House of Usher. You know, I just thought. Maybe reading the original The Fall of the House of Usher might help me enjoy it more, even if I might like it a tiny bit, so I'll know more background