Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 9. Movie adaptation

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I, Robot has been turned into a major motion picture starring Will Smith. How does the movie compare with your book-reading experience? What do you think of the adjustments made and liberties taken when converting this collection of stories to one seamless film adaptation?

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 221 comments The move I, Robot is not based on Asimov's book, no matter what the advertisement says. To create more interest in the movie they changed some names to match characters in the book and borrowed the three laws and a few plot lines form different Asimov stories. I think that was a bad idea.

message 3: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1845 comments Mod
I liked the film on it's own merits but I would agree with Paula it is really nothing like the book. The book is a discussion of logic and development while the film is an us and them showdown.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1997 comments I have not seen the movie, but bought it to watch after I re-read the book. I am sad to learn that the book has so little to do with the movie. I don't know if I will still watch it. I only paid $2 for it at a second hand store, so no great loss.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I enjoyed the movie but as you both mention (Bookworm & Paula), it really has nothing to do with the book. I actually appreciated this b/c I saw the movie first and then was pleasantly surprised when I read the book since it was so different.

I thought the movie was entertaining but the book was better -- isn't that always the case?

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1209 comments Mod
I watched the movie with my family last night. We all enjoyed it. I had hoped to get to this book this year but I don't think it is going to happen.

message 7: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1845 comments Mod
I think movie and book are good in their own ways, I like the humanitarian issues the book raises as well as the use of logic and maths, and I enjoyed the out and out action of the movie and the fight for the human race lol