Karen Chance Fans discussion

Book Corner > Sarah J. Maas

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jax (new)

Jax | 831 comments For discussing the "Throne of Glass" and "Court of Thorns & Roses" Series...

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (nzlkat) | 1731 comments This is actually on my 'to read' list, is it interesting enough to bump up my order?

message 3: by Jax (new)

Jax | 831 comments Definitely!! :D

Similar to the Cassie Series, the books only get better as you go along.

For me, the Throne of Glass series really picked up toward the end of the second book (that's not to say that book 1 & 2 aren't good too! It's just that I prefer the characters that were introduced to the story later on...)

The Court of Thorns series is... difficult to describe without resorting to gushing. (Arushi might be better suited than I am)
But it really is definitely worth bumping it up the order!!
(if only so that you can come back here and chat about it more) :p

message 4: by Arushi (new)

Arushi | 3652 comments Hahahaha... I completely agree with Jax on everything :)

Throne of Glass picks up after the second book. It's difficult to describe the change - but it is that the character grows. From being a somewhat YA it goes straight to pure fantasy with nothing YA left about it. And it makes sense coz that protagonist grows a lot.

Court of Thorns and Roses.... please please start asap... and discuss it with us :)

The book's initial premise is Beauty and the Beast. But it is only there so far as like the initial meeting of the characters - not a bit further than that.

For one, in both the series' there is no 'knight in shining armour' not really. The main male protagonists learn to deal with it that they have very strong and fiercely independent women around them and who in no way need to be protected.
Also, if they know something the others don't, they teach them. Its all about being partners - not superior.

Court of Thorns and Roses takes it even further than Throne of Glass. A lot further. Also, it was meant to be a trilogy. So, now that the third book is out - it has resolved the initial plot and basically now is excellent time to get into this series. There will be more books - but no cliffhanger here to torture you. And once you finish the second book - you will see how desperate we were, for a year, for the third book.

The second book, A Court of Mist and Fury is hands down my favorite.

Another thing with Sarah J Maas is that she manages to surprise me. Still. There are still plot twists, still secrets that I totally did not see coming. And they're almost always amazing and mind blowing.

message 5: by Arushi (new)

Arushi | 3652 comments @Jax - Have you finished A Court of Wings and Ruin?

message 6: by Jax (new)

Jax | 831 comments Arushi wrote: "@Jax - Have you finished A Court of Wings and Ruin?"

I have. :)
I'm still pondering a number of things about it - and am not entirely sure of how I feel about the end...

message 7: by Arushi (new)

Arushi | 3652 comments I know, right!!

It seemed to be too tidy at the end almost... pretty bow over the HEA for like... almost everyone.
And rather anti-climatic. After all that, it seemed rather... off hand. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Jax (new)

Jax | 831 comments Okay... Let's see if I can finally put this down in something marginally coherent.

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Lucien(view spoiler)

Lastly(view spoiler)

So, I think what I'm basically saying, is that while I enjoyed reading it, I wanted more from Wings & Ruin than I got.
But in Sarah J. Maas' defense - I did just also finish reading Patrick Rothfuss... so there is a chance I'm being a tad unfair here.