World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Liverpool vs Tottenham, Toronto vs Golden State

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13781 comments Don't know how many follow Champion's League and NBA, but we are on the eve of fascinating finals.
Any predictions and whom do you favor?

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9757 comments There's also the Champion's Trophy. My prediction is that rain will play a major role. It has for us already.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13781 comments Ian wrote: "There's also the Champion's Trophy. My prediction is that rain will play a major role. It has for us already."

Is it cricket?

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9757 comments It is indeed cricket. NZ got rained out in game 1 for us, when we looked to be in a good position against the dreaded Australians.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13781 comments Ian wrote: "It is indeed cricket. NZ got rained out in game 1 for us, when we looked to be in a good position against the dreaded Australians."

Wouldn't the weather apply to both teams or were the Australians allowed to take the umbrellas out? -:)
Unfortunately, my knowledge of cricket is very limited. How many games do you play to determine the winner?

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9757 comments Basically, the tournament has two sections and two teams only from each section qualify. Yes, the weather applies to both teams, and they get a point each, but there are only three matches for a team in a section, which means each of these teams now cannot afford another washout, unless the other has a disaster.

After the qualifying round, there are two semifinals and a final. I have no idea what they will do if these final games get washed. They used to have spare days for such events, but TV programming seems to have stopped that :-(

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13781 comments Ian wrote: "I have no idea what they will do if these final games get washed. ..."

Same problems with tennis, I hear.
I remember something being used to ensure good weather during Sochi Olympics. Maybe something like this can solve the problem?:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9757 comments Interesting. Unfortunately, it might not work for cricket because due to the length of the games, they tend to have matches going on in different cities. Spare one site and its neighbour might be deluged :-(

message 9: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13781 comments Tomorrow's Champion's League final & NBA finals are already well afoot. Anyone's watching?

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9757 comments Me, I shall be watching our team in the cricket world cup. Hope springs eternal, but I remain pessimistic of our overall chances.

message 11: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) Ian wrote: "Me, I shall be watching our team in the cricket world cup. Hope springs eternal, but I remain pessimistic of our overall chances."

Think NZ are dark horses - they are normally the best country to suit English conditions but in one day one off games who knows?

As for CL two amazing comebacks in the semi-finals and again who knows?

Not a basketball fan. Liked playing it but hate watching it and as with most US coverage of sport hate the hype which has crept into our own sports coverage.

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9757 comments Philip, I assume that comment excluded England, who should be best suited to English conditions, and have the crowd behind them. The pitches, etc, in NZ are probably more like England than most, so that shouldn't frighten us. I am more concerned about the selection, and while about half the team is obvious, tonight's match (night for me) has no place for a man who has, I think, three centuries in his last four matches, the last one a few days ago. I would like to think the rest are so good there is no room for him, but I fear not.

message 13: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) Ian wrote: "Philip, I assume that comment excluded England, who should be best suited to English conditions, and have the crowd behind them. The pitches, etc, in NZ are probably more like England than most, so..."

Yes England are the favourites and have been playing well. Years' of disappointment will keep my hopes sensible.

message 14: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) Just seen NZ result - that went well!

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13781 comments I remember frustrated Liverpool fans saying the night after the last final in Kyiv that they'd be back with a better goalkeeper. So I guess they kept their word. Can they make another step? The chances seem equal. Looking forward to an intriguing final

message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9757 comments Philip wrote: "Just seen NZ result - that went well!"

Yes, so far, so good. England are also doing well. Early days, but better a good start than an awful one :-)

message 17: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13781 comments Congrats to Liverpool! The game wasn't that great and thanks to a streaker for keeping ppl awake -:)

However an unexpected excitement came from Madison, where Andy Ruiz knocked out Joshua - a clear favorite and undefeated champ thitherto