You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > July 2017 - Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Jun 10, 2017 10:07AM) (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments We're just passing the half way mark of the year. Eek!

Not wanting to wish the final month of the first half of the year, but it's time to start thinking about July and what theme we would like for the group reads that month.

If you have an idea for a theme, go ahead and nominate it below.

Alternatively, you can second someone else's nomination instead, but that will count as your own nomination, and that theme will be entered twice in random.org - giving the theme an additional chance to make the cut.

Only 5 themes will make the cut and end up in the poll.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people. If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Books whose title starts with A", you need to state "I second Books whose title starts with A".

Nominations close June 7.

Nominations so far:
Weird Fiction (seconded)
Originally written in a non-English language (seconded)
Friendship
Roman theme
Summer (seconded)

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2017 01:09AM) (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I would like to nominate weird fiction. Here is more information on what it is and the authors who write it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird_f... I was really surprised to see some of those authors listed there. And https://www.goodreads.com/genres/weir...

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15090 comments We read so many books by English-speaking authors, so for July I'd like to nominate books that were originally written in a language other than English.

We can read the translation of course ;-)

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Doh! I just finished one of those. But it's a series so I have plenty more that I could read.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments International Day of Friendship is at the end of July, so I will nominate books about friendship.

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben (basebox) | 113 comments July was named in on honour of Julius Caesar so I'd like to nominate anything Roman for the theme.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Burton I have an idea why don't we use a word that represents Summer in July. Like, fireworks, picnics, independence, or barbecue. And we could pick the word and read books that start with each letter of the word.

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Jennifer wrote: "I have an idea why don't we use a word that represents Summer in July. Like, fireworks, picnics, independence, or barbecue. And we could pick the word and read books that start with each letter of ..."

Welcome to the group Jennifer. The way group reads work in this group is that we nominate themes for the group read the following month. Then we vote on the theme. Then once we know what theme we have, people nominate books which fit the theme. Then we vote on the book we want to read. 2 books get chosen and they are the books that we read as a group. If people do not want to read those chosen books, they can read another book in the theme instead. Your suggestion is good but it is more of a challenge idea than a group read theme. We could use the overall theme of Summer if you would like to nominate that?!

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48779 comments Welcome to our group, Jennifer!

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48779 comments I'm going to second Weird Fiction.

message 11: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I nominate Jennifer's "Summer in July" theme idea.

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "I nominate Jennifer's "Summer in July" theme idea."

Can you expand on what that might mean please. Does it have to be summer? Have to be july? Both summer and july? Or some other criteria for the theme?

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Burton Yes I'd like to nominate that as an overall summer challenge.

message 14: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I second overall summer theme.

message 15: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3628 comments I second Peggy's idea: books originally written in a language other than English.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.