The Filipino Group discussion

Wonder (Wonder, #1)
This topic is about Wonder
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] F2F66: June 2017 [Young Adult] | Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mawi (last edited Jun 15, 2017 01:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Hi, everyone! I’m Mawi and I will be your moderator for the month of June. Please do join us as we read and discuss the book Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It is a heartwarming story of a boy called Auggie, who was born with a rare medical facial deformity. This is a feel-good book with a wonderful message, and goodness knows that’s what we need right now.

Grab your copy here:
(view spoiler)

The book is told in shifting narrative using the perspective of different characters. Though the chapters are short, so this is basically an easy read and a reading plan may not be needed (and I doubt you’ll be able to put this one down once you get started. :D), I have provided the following suggested reading plan for the sake of online discussion:

Week 1
Part 1 by Auggie
Part 2 by Via
Week 2
Part 3 by Summer
Part 4 by Jack
Part 5 by Justin
Week 3
Part 6 by Auggie
Part 7 by Miranda
Week 4
Part 8 by Auggie

I found that the book is riddled with pieces that pinched my heart in the most nonchalant of ways. I am confident that it will have quite the same effect on you, guys. So at any point you encounter one such piece, just share it here and include which part and on what chapter we can find it (so we can “huhu” casually about it together? Hee.)

F2F Details
When: June 24, 2017 2:00pm
Where: Kandle Cafe

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Commenting for Notification purposes.
I was watching the trailer and naiyak ako, haha. At the moment I through reading chapter 3, the moment when (view spoiler) and I stopped reading because ayoko magkalat -_-

Maria (mariasm) | 2441 comments Yay, may thread na! Ngawa pa more Ella hihihi

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenistah) | 21 comments I haven't read this book yet, but I would like to! Like badly. After I watched the trailer of the movie version, my heart melts, ohmiGod. I cried a lot, like literally cried, like loudly cried, like I cried secretly but loudly, you know that?
This book costs 300+ in NBS, so maybe I will order there soonest.

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Hello, K. ;)
they have newly-printed copies in Fully-booked BGC, you can order from there perhaps? Wala ako makita sa NBS Glorietta eh.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenistah) | 21 comments Where is cheaper pala?

message 7: by Mawi (last edited Jun 05, 2017 06:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Karen wrote: "Where is cheaper pala?"

Hi, Karen! Paperback copies cost 359.00 in Fullybooked, hard cover ones are 555.00. I checked online and it's also 359.00 for paperback in NBS.

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Natapos ko sya in one day Mawi! Huhuhu deep inside. Pinipigilan tumulo ang luha at pasimpleng punas ng mata kasi may makakakita. Hahaha :P

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenistah) | 21 comments Ohh, thanks for the info. Will buy the book when sahod comes! Hehehe.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenistah) | 21 comments Elaine wrote: "Natapos ko sya in one day Mawi! Huhuhu deep inside. Pinipigilan tumulo ang luha at pasimpleng punas ng mata kasi may makakakita. Hahaha :P"

Kaya nga nag-iipon na ako ng tissue, baka bumaha ng luha. Lol.

message 11: by Mawi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Maria Ella wrote: "Commenting for Notification purposes.
I was watching the trailer and naiyak ako, haha. At the moment I through reading chapter 3, the moment when..."

Ella! I liked that part, too, especially the way it was told with humor given it was one of the most tender parts of the book.

Elaine wrote: "Natapos ko sya in one day Mawi! Huhuhu deep inside. Pinipigilan tumulo ang luha at pasimpleng punas ng mata kasi may makakakita. Hahaha :P"

Elaine, I feel you. Haha! Nasa CBTL ako when I was reading the end parts of the book, nag-fake yawns na lang ako to have an excuse for watery eyes. Mwehehe! Also, what parts made you "pasimpleng nagpunas ng mata"? :D

Karen wrote: "Ohh, thanks for the info. Will buy the book when sahod comes! Hehehe."

Yes, do! And join us for the f2f! :D

KaZaam | 151 comments This is one of my favorite books, 5 star-read. Read it back in 2012 so medyo nakalimutan ko na yung details. But I remember I also cried buckets.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenistah) | 21 comments Mawi wrote: "Maria Ella wrote: "Commenting for Notification purposes.
I was watching the trailer and naiyak ako, haha. At the moment I through reading chapter 3, the moment when..."

Ella! I liked that part, t..."

Huhuhu, sad to say I can't join the f2f. Why? I'm from Davao! Hahaha. How I wish I could join you guys. Sana may webinar nalang or maybe a video group chat. Pwde ba yun?

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Mawi wrote: "Elaine, I feel you. Haha! Nasa CBTL ako when I was reading the end parts of the book, nag-fake yawns na lang ako to have an excuse for watery eyes. Mwehehe! Also, what parts made you "pasimpleng nagpunas ng mata"? :D

Ginawa ko din yung fake yawns para makapunas ng watery eyes.
Hahaha.
(view spoiler)

This story reminded me of a classmate in elementary/highschool. Huhu. Naiintindihan ko na sya ng sobra ngayon.

Karen wrote: "Kaya nga nag-iipon na ako ng tissue, baka bumaha ng luha. Lol."

Mas challenging yung pasimpleng iyak. Hahaha. ;P

message 15: by Mawi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Discussion Questions

1. Auggie’s face is not fully described until in Via’s chapter August: Through the Peephole. How close was this description to your own mental picture of Auggie? Did you have a picture of his face in your mind while reading the book? Did this description alter that picture?
2. The first day of school can be terrifying or stressful or anxiety-filled, and what more when you have a condition like Auggie’s. What was your reaction to or how did you feel about Auggie’s first day of school?

message 16: by Mawi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Karen wrote: "Sana may webinar nalang or maybe a video group chat. Pwde ba yun?"

I'm not sure if we are capable of doing that, hehe! In the meantime, join us na lang in the online discussion. Malay natin next time sa Davao na ang f2f! Heee. :D

Elaine wrote: "This story reminded me of a classmate in elementary/highschool. Huhu. Naiintindihan ko na sya ng sobra ngayon.."

Pag-usapan natin 'yan sa f2f! I believe we all have stories like that. :)

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Discussion Questions
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenistah) | 21 comments Mawi wrote: "Karen wrote: "Sana may webinar nalang or maybe a video group chat. Pwde ba yun?"

I'm not sure if we are capable of doing that, hehe! In the meantime, join us na lang in the online discussion. Mala..."

Why not? What's the use of Skype? Or the Messenger app? :D

message 19: by Maria Ella (last edited Jun 11, 2017 05:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments I just read the whole lot today grabe the hikbi in my bedroom, sobrang naiyak na lang ako ewan ko ba hayssss!!!

Discussion Questions(view spoiler)

message 20: by Rome (new)

Rome (rome_j) | 11 comments I just started reading it.
And you're right, I wouldn't like to put it down.
But as much as I would want to keep reading it, I wouldn't like to read it while in the crowd.
I would like to read it in the privacy of my room. :)

Btw, no other guys reading this?
Parang from females lang lahat ng comments sa thread.

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments (view spoiler)

Allan Ray (newbody) | 4 comments You do have at least one male company here Romeo. I'm sure there's more of us. It's a pretty good read, admittedly one of my all-time favorites.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenistah) | 21 comments Maria Ella wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Or maybe busy watching the basketball game?

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenistah) | 21 comments Allan Ray wrote: "You do have at least one male company here Romeo. I'm sure there's more of us. It's a pretty good read, admittedly one of my all-time favorites."

How was it?

message 25: by Mawi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Hello, Romelando and Allan Ray! Care to share your favorite part/s of the book so far? :)

message 26: by Mawi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Maria Ella wrote: "Discussion Questions
2. At first I cannot relate to his fear on the first day of school. Kasi noong bata ako, bibo kid ako :P but maybe totoong takot sya, naalala ko lang sa kanya yung umiiyak na bata sa kabilang section noon pag uuwi na yung nanay nya hahahahaha!!!"

Ella! Natawa ako, hindi ko nga ma-imagine na magkaka-first day jitters ka! :P

message 27: by Mawi (last edited Jun 16, 2017 01:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Discussion Questions

1. In the chapter “Letters, Emails, Facebook, Texts”, Mrs. Alban said that asking ‘ordinary’ children, such as her son Julian, to befriend Auggie places a burden on them, what do you make of this?
2. Why do you think is Justin an important character, enough to have a part of the book on his perspective?

Also, f2f event page is up! Please RSVP on or before June 23, 2017. Thanks! :D

message 28: by Angus (last edited Jun 16, 2017 02:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments The part where (view spoiler) made me smile. A big and toothy smile.

Discussion Questions 1:
(view spoiler)

Discussion Questions 2:
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Lim | 5 comments Really hope I can join this F2F! I just started this book this morning and it's good. :)

Allan Ray (newbody) | 4 comments Mawi wrote: "Hello, Romelando and Allan Ray! Care to share your favorite part/s of the book so far? :)"

I'll be honest. I don't remember all of it that well which is why I got excited when I learned that there's a movie of it coming up. I just remember that it was a great reading experience.

message 31: by Tin (last edited Jun 18, 2017 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Discussion Questions 1:
(view spoiler)

Discussion Questions 2:
(view spoiler)

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Discussion Questions
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Veronica (last edited Jun 19, 2017 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica | 734 comments Discussion Questions 1
(view spoiler)

Discussion Questions 2
(view spoiler)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Discussion Questions 2
(view spoiler)

message 35: by Mawi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Hi, everyone! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and sentiments on the story, let's discuss them further tomorrow, yes? Hope to see you all! :D

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Discussion Questions 1

(view spoiler)

Discussion Questions 2

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Lim | 5 comments What time will the discussion be tomorrow?

message 38: by Mawi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawi | 145 comments Aaron Vincent wrote: "Discussion Questions 1

1. I saw the trailer for the film before I started reading. I had a clear picture of what Auggie might actually look like based on that trailer. After reading Via's chapter..."

Humabol pa, besh! :P

Joan wrote: "What time will the discussion be tomorrow?"

Hi, Joan! Discussion starts at 2pm (hopefully...) :D See you!

message 39: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Lim | 5 comments Hi Maw, I don't know why but the time isn't displayed here. :(

message 40: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Lim | 5 comments Finally saw the time! I think my phone app is acting up. Anyway, see you guys later. I'm excited!

Jeront | 5 comments I'm currently reading this one. 🌹

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.