101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)
Completed Children's Reads > Harry Potter 05 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
This one doesn't appear on our list for some reason (only five of the books do) so we'll just go ahead and tack this one on for June as well, for those who are working their way through the series.

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
I always enjoy this series of course, and while Harry's teen angsty-ness didn't irritate me so much this time around, the plot holes did. (SPOILERS BELOW)

I get why Dumbledore doesn't want to tell Harry about the prophecy, because he doesn't want to burden him with the knowledge that they will ultimately have to face off again.... but doesn't Harry already know that it's inevitable? And just saying "Voldemort's trying to get into your head and my being around you makes you a bigger target and I'm afraid he's going to lure you into danger" might have made Harry think about it a little more before charging out and ultimately getting his godfather killed. I just think that's pretty flimsy for the overall plot.

However, as usual, Rowling does a superb job of story-weaving and character development and makes us cheer along for the good guys and reaching out to grab the next book and continue on with the series.

Some quotes from this time around:

"...the world isn't into good people and Death Eaters..."

"Never try to understand the students. They hate it. They would much rather be tragically misunderstood."

"Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike..."

"...thoughts could leave deeper scarring than almost anything else..."

3.5/5