Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > June 2017: The Husband's Secret

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
The Husband's Secret

Is this your first Moriarty book? If it is, how did you like her writing style? if it isn;t, how does it differ from her the rbooks?

Tess has suffered her whole life from crippling social anxiety. How has this made everyday situations a challenge for her? Why has she never confronted her problem? Why doesn't she tell anyone about it?

The novel is narrated in third-person and in past tense. Given the intense focus on three women, why did the author choose to tell the story from this point of view? How does this perspective add a sense of mystery and foreboding?

Grief and guilt are major themes in the novel. What do you think determines how guilty one feels? Is it the situation, or is it determined by who you are?

Describe the main characters in the novel by telling something about them learned from their internal dialog. For instance, what do we know about Tess? Felicity? Cecilia? Rachel?

What was your reaction to the Epilogue?

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments I'm starting this tonight. I've only read What Alice Forgot and did enjoy it - hoping I'll like this one even better!

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments I'm almost half way through and just read the letter. Whoa!

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments Oh, and am really intrigued by all the intertwining stories. It didn't start off too strong for me, but the more I get to know the characters and their stories the better it gets.

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments OMG I just finished and this was soooo good! I will highly recommend to anyone. I loved all the psychological connections and thought it was very smartly written. I rated What Alice Forgot 4 starts and this beat it at 5.

Loved the Epilogue - so true about what could happen and yes, what was meant to be could be a total fallacy.

message 6: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
Colleen wrote: "OMG I just finished and this was soooo good! I will highly recommend to anyone. I loved all the psychological connections and thought it was very smartly written. I rated What Alice Forgot 4 starts..."

I am going to get the audio of this and I CANNOT WAIT TO START!

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara D (saradaugherty) | 47 comments I finished this last night and really enjoyed it. I did guess the secret of the letter before the reveal. I also figured out the truth about Janie, given the clues throughout.

I felt Tess was in Felicity's shadow throughout her life, and not vice versa. It seemed a very dysfunctional relationship to me. I also did not commit to Tess' crippling social anxiety. I felt that her relationship with Felicity was problematic throughout her life, and it was her heavy dependency on her cousin that held her back. She may have had social anxiety, but to me, it was in no way "crippling".

I read on the jacket cover that "Moriarty may be an edgier, more provocative and bolder successor to Maeve Binchy" (Kirkus Review). I like that comparison. We definitely get everyday access to our characters in her books, but their dealings are not quite as idyllic as Binchy's.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1248 comments I read this a couple of years ago ... 4**** from me. It was the first book by Moriarty I read. I definitely intend to read more from her - my niece is a huge fan and is always bugging me to read more of her works - I just haven't gotten to any others.

I listened to the audio, and the multiple points of view were definitely confusing at first. I thought the weakest link (to the letter) was Tess’s story line. I couldn’t help but consider “what would I do” if I were in the position of any one of these women. And some of their actions and reactions took me by surprise.

I was not a fan of the epilogue. Was Moriarty afraid her readers would not tolerate an ambiguous ending? To me this weakened the novel.

LINK to my full review

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara D (saradaugherty) | 47 comments I didn't appreciate the epilogue. If the details there truly mattered, she could have inserted them into the story for us, which I believe she did regarding Janie's death. It felt to me that she was explaining things too much, and as a reader, I felt it was insulting.