Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > June 2017: Eligible

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
Eligible: A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice

Was this a successful retelling, in a modern sense?

Does this book hold up on its own as an independent novel, disregarding any comparisons with the original?

The title Eligible comes from the fictional reality television show Chip Bingley appears on. What do you think the novel has to say about reality TV? Would you go on a show like Eligible?

What would Austen think about Eligible?

Have you read any other adaptations or retellings of the classic? What worked, what didn't?

Why are classics retold in modern tellings, and why are they normally pretty successful?

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1248 comments Was this a successful retelling, in a modern sense?

Yes, I think so. I recognized most of the elements of the original story, and liked the way Sittenfeld updated the scenarios.

message 3: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Was this a successful retelling, in a modern sense?

Yes, I think so. I recognized most of the elements of the original story, and liked the way Sittenfeld updated the scenarios."

I haven't read this one, but isn't it satisfying when retellings and adaptions work well

message 4: by DebsD (new)

DebsD | 8 comments Currently reading it, but not really feeling the love. Maybe it will get better...

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1248 comments Let's talk characters: Which of the sisters do you most identify with, and why? (question from the publisher)

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1248 comments What would Austen think about Eligible?

I think she would probably like it. Austen wrote contemporary social "comedy of manners" in her time. I think she'd have a great time skewering some of the crazy ways relationships are started in these times.

message 7: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Let's talk characters: Which of the sisters do you most identify with, and why? (question from the publisher)"

Thanks for adding more questions!

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara D (saradaugherty) | 47 comments I liked this, but with reservations. Despite the beautiful, literary writing, it seemed very "chick lit" to me. Even though it is a re-telling of Pride and Prejudice, it just followed the story line too closely for my liking. I prefer my re-tellings to be a bit more disguised (A Thousand Acres, Here on Earth). Even Bridget Jones's Diary strayed more from the original, though it, too, was very chick-lit in genre.

I do think the re-telling was successful to today's society. Perhaps the modern is what made it feel like chick-lit. Still thinking about my feelings on this one.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1248 comments Have you read any other adaptations or retellings of the classic? What worked, what didn't?

Well I did read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I was surprised that I liked it at all ... but it's mostly Austen's own words, with a few extra things thrown in. Completely tongue-in-cheek.

I've also read Emma (A Modern Retelling) by Alexander McCall Smith. I thought he did a pretty good job of staying faithful to the spirit (and plot) of Austen's original novel.

I hope to get through ALL of the Austen Project's retellings.

message 10: by DebsD (new)

DebsD | 8 comments I strongly disliked this. My review is at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1248 comments And I rather liked it ...

Eligible A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice (The Austen Project, #4) by Curtis Sittenfeld
Eligible – Curtis Sittenfeld – 4****
The subtitle is all the synopsis you need: A Modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. This is the fourth installment of the planned retellings that comprise The Austen Project, wherein contemporary authors tackle one of Austen’s works and reimagine it in a modern setting. All told, I found it entertaining and fun. Definitely helps if you’ve read the original, though it spoils any surprises as you anticipate “when will they …?” or “how will she include …..?”
LINK to my review