What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Julie James
This topic is about Julie James
Suggest books for me > Contemporary Romances like Julie James's

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jun 01, 2017 06:59PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 141 comments I love Julie James's books, but they also ruin contemporary romances for me, because NOTHING is as good as they are. But there's no way that she's the only author writing in this particular niche of the genre. So please help me out! I need recommendations!

What I like about Julie James's books:
*SMART, professional adult hero and heroine. Mature adults looking for (or not looking, but finding) a long-term, leading-to-marriage relationship. (White collar job not required.)
*Heroines who have their shit together (for the most part) and enjoy life, but are just missing that romance element.
*Strong, intelligent hero... who doesn't have to be alpha. I don't mind a beta guy, as long as he holds his own.
*Well-developed, interesting characters.
*Actual plots with conversations and the characters getting to know each other before they just jump into the sack.
*Romance, not erotica.
*Urban setting (nice, but not required)

What I DON'T like about other contemporary romances I've read lately:
*ANYTHING new adult. UGH. Hate those.
*Heroines who are recovering from some horrible tragedy or problem that has left them completely broken and in a million pieces that can't possibly put themselves back together without a man.
*Adult characters who are childish.
*Cookie cutter characters whose lines are straight out of cliche-ville
*Heroines who are too stupid to live, won't take help when they CLEARLY need it, or are so stubborn, they put themselves into ridiculous situations where you just want to slap them for being morons.
*Plot issues that could be resolved if the characters took a break from sex for 5 minutes and had a conversation.
*Completely unrealistic plots.
*So much drama, they should translate it into Spanish or Korean and make a TV show out of it.
*Every other character having babies out of wedlock. (Because seriously, I thought condoms had a higher than 50% prevention rate?)
*Cheating of any kind (hero or heroine, I mean... or them condoning it at all....)

Other authors/series I like:
*Bride Quartet by Nora Roberts (and her other trilogies)
*Boy Series by Meg Cabot (although her characters have a tendency to read quite... immature sometimes)
*Lucky Harbor Series by Jill Shalvis
*Virgin River Series by Robin Carr (rural, but a well thought-out and well-described town with lots of three-dimensional characters)

Authors I can't handle:
*Most of Jill Shalvis's post-Lucky Harbor stuff. It's been hit and miss since then, but her characters are getting cookie-cutterish and her books are lacking description and believable plots.
*Most of Kristan Higgins's books - Too much drama. Heroines are all complete train-wrecks.

Bonus:
Also, I'm not completely anti-self-published Amazon books, but I can't be spending $1,000,000 on books, so if your suggestions could be for books I can get from the library, that'd be great. Unless, you know, there's one that is just too good not to spend $1.99 on or whatever. Books with audiobook options will net you bonus points and best friend status for a day.

That was long. In the time I took to write that, I probably should have just written my own book! :P THANKS!!!

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments I like this request! You know what you like and what you don't.
What if it's the hero who's recovering from a tragedy? If that's alright, then I have a suggestion: I'm Your Girl by J.J. Murray.
Actually, that may not be quite what you're looking for, but you could check it out and see.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1057 comments I recommend Stacey Ballis, especially Room for Improvement and Off the Menu. Off the Menu Room for Improvement

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Maybe even better than I'm Your Girl: A Good Man

message 5: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 256 comments It's been a while since I read it so I can't be sure it fits your description but I think Attachments might be a fit.