The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

93 views
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 20.9 - Moderator's Pet - Book Concierge's Task: Happy Retirement

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 08, 2017 03:53PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4926 comments Mod
20.9 - Moderator’s Pet – Book Concierge: Happy Retirement

I am retiring this June – Whoop Whoop Whoop!
I’ve changed careers several times over my working life. I started out in Criminal Justice (I was a probation/parole officer with a caseload of adult, male felons). Then I moved to corporate America and worked in Human Resources. After a few years I stayed with the company but changed departments to Government Relations. I quit working when I got married, so I’d have time to travel with my husband (who was in international business); then I started working part-time as a travel agent. When his company eliminated their international division, he retired … and I went to work in Healthcare Administration. Gosh, I’m tired just reading about all those jobs/careers! I need a rest ... And I’m looking forward to more time to read, travel, garden, cook, and just plain be retired.

NO books with CHILDRENS / KIDS as a main page genre can be used. The book must have a minimum of 250 pages.


Read one book, at least 250 pages long, that fits one of the following options:

A) Read a book with a main character who works in Criminal Justice (e.g. police, FBI, District attorney, etc) or Healthcare (e.g. doctor, nurse, hospital administrator, etc). Since work is a "real-life" experience, NO books with a main page genre of Fantasy or Science Fiction allowed for THIS option.
REQUIRED: If it is not evident from the main Goodreads page, provide a link that verifies how your book fits.

B) Read a book where ALL the letters of RETIREMENT can be found in the title, subtitle and/or author’s name. You need THREE E’s, TWO R’s, TWO T’s, and ONE each of I, M and N. REQUIRED: Point out the letters
Example:
Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal.
E’s in kitchEn, grEat, midwEst
R’s in gReat, Ryan
T’s in kiTchen and greaT
I and N in kItcheN
M in Midwest

C) Read a book with a FEMALE main character who is retired. The character must have been paid to work before retirement, not just an older woman who has always been at home.
REQUIRED: If not evident from the main Goodreads page, quote a passage that verifies the female character is retired from work.

D) Since I hope to spend more time reading now that I don’t have to go to work each day … Read a book with a main page genre of “Books about Books”. The genre may be standalone or embedded.


message 3: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 31, 2017 10:12AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Sorry, try again ...

A) The Hanging Tree (Fantasy)
Travels (NOT about healthcare)
The Naturals (m.c. is a teenager in a special program, not a law enforcement officer)


message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4926 comments Mod
This thread is now open.


message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Can "Book about Books" be imbedded?

A Novel Bookstore by Laurence Cossé

Thank you


message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4081 comments For option A, I am considering Deadly Care or Toxin. In the first, the protagonist is a forensic pathologist; in the second, it is a doctor seeking source of daughter's Eboli disease. Since neither are specifically set in a hospital, would either work?


message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Can "Book about Books" be imbedded?

A Novel Bookstore by Laurence Cossé

Thank you"


Yes ... I'll ask the moderator to include that in the challenge description.


message 8: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 03, 2017 05:32AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Bea wrote: "For option A, I am considering Deadly Care or Toxin. In the first, the protagonist is a forensic pathologist; in the second, it is a doctor seeking source of daughter's ..."

There's no requirement for a hospital setting. Although the forensic pathologist isn't really providing healthcare, so much as investigating possible murder, so I'd rather you used Robin Cook's book.

Deadly Care - Criminal justice
Toxin - Healthcare


message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4081 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Deadly Care - Criminal justice
Toxin - Healthcare "


Well, I guess I think health->medical->hospital! Go figure! Thanks for designating the fit for each book. Now to make up my mind.


message 10: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Can "Book about Books" be imbedded?

A Novel Bookstore by Laurence Cossé

Thank you"

Yes ... I'll ask the moderator to include that in the challenge description."


thank you


message 11: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Congratulations on your retirement! :-)

For option A, would either a private detective or someone who works for the intelligence services (eg MI6, CIA, etc) count as part of the criminal justice system?


message 12: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 03, 2017 02:44PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Bryony wrote: "Congratulations on your retirement! :-)

For option A, would either a private detective or someone who works for the intelligence services (eg MI6, CIA, etc) count as part of the criminal justice s..."


Not for this task, Bryony. Per Wikipedia: Criminal justice is the system of practices and institutions of governments directed at upholding social control, deterring and mitigating crime, or sanctioning those who violate laws with criminal penalties and rehabilitation efforts.

So, I'm looking at police, judges, defense or prosecuting attorneys.
Intelligence services are more concerned with espionage and national security, and are different from criminal justice. And while private detectives are sometimes hired by the criminal justice system, they also work many civil cases (In fact, the PI's I know work only civil cases ... usually divorces.).


message 13: by Trish (last edited Jun 05, 2017 08:59AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments For Option A, could I use The Hanging Tree?

Both Police Constable Peter Grant and his boss, Detective Inspector Nightingale, work for the London Metropolitan Police (the Met) - albeit in a small department of two called the Folly, which deals with magical crimes. Here's the series link which specifies the police connection: https://www.goodreads.com/series/5193...


message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Trish wrote: "For Option A, could I use The Hanging Tree?

Both Police Constable Peter Grant and his boss, Detective Inspector Nightingale, work for the London Metropolitan Police (the Met) - al..."


I didn't have fantasy in mind when creating the task, but the main characters are clearly part of a Criminal Justice system.


message 15: by Trish (last edited Jun 05, 2017 11:22PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I didn't have fantasy in mind when creating the task, but the main characters are clearly part of a Criminal Justice system."

That was why I wanted to double-check. The series is written mostly as a police procedural - and uses the Met's computer systems and stuff. It's just got some weird procedures! :-)

But I'm happy to read the next Commissario Montalbano book I haven't got to yet instead!


message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Trish wrote: "But I'm happy to read the next Commissario Montalbano book I haven't got to yet instead! i..."

Well that would DEFINITELY work!


message 17: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments PLEASE NOTE
After careful consideration I've added a notice on Option A
Since work is a "real-life" experience, NO books with a main page genre of Fantasy or Science Fiction allowed for THIS option.

TRISH ... I trust you can easily re-assign The Hanging Tree this early in the Summer Challenge.


message 18: by Trish (last edited Jun 09, 2017 12:09AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments Book Concierge wrote: "PLEASE NOTE
After careful consideration I've added a notice on Option A
Since work is a "real-life" experience, NO books with a main page genre of Fantasy or Science Fiction allowed for THIS opti...

TRISH ... I trust you can easily re-assign The Hanging Tree this early in the Summer Challenge. "


Already done :-) It works for 10.1 so no worries. And I love the Montalbano books anyway (highly recommended if you haven't read them).


message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 672 comments Can option A be non-fiction, or do you want a fictional story about someone having one of these jobs.


message 20: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 819 comments Would you approve Zero Day? The main character is an investigator in the Army CID.


message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Susan wrote: "Can option A be non-fiction, or do you want a fictional story about someone having one of these jobs."

NON fiction is fine ... AS long as the book is about the author's career in law enforcement or health care ...
So
Cop in the Hood: My Year Policing Baltimore's Eastern District (police officer memoir)
or
Five Patients by Michael Crichton (explaining the workings of a major academic medical center)
would both work.

On the other hand
Travels by Michael Crichton would NOT work, because while Crichton was a graduate of Harvard Medical School, the book has nothing to do with healthcare.


message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments KSMary wrote: "Would you approve Zero Day? The main character is an investigator in the Army CID."

Approved for Option A


message 23: by Nicole (last edited Jun 16, 2017 02:16PM) (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments for option a: what about a chief medical examiner?

Never mind...my mom gave me this and I want to read it!
Option D- The Little Paris Bookshop


message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan | 672 comments Thank you!


message 25: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie (kirstienaughton) | 56 comments For Option A (healthcare industry) would Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife work since she is a midwife?

Thank you!


message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Kirstie wrote: "For Option A (healthcare industry) would Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife work since she is a midwife?

Thank you!"


Yes, I will accept a midwife as being in Healthcare.


message 27: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie (kirstienaughton) | 56 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Kirstie wrote: "For Option A (healthcare industry) would Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife work since she is a midwife?

Thank you!"

Yes, I will accept a midwife as being ..."


Great! Thank you so much.


message 28: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2569 comments will clinical psychologist work for works in healthcare?


message 29: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Marie wrote: "will clinical psychologist work for works in healthcare?"

Yes, mental health is definitely a part of healthcare. But be sure the main character is actually WORKING IN HEALTHCARE ... if the plot is about a clinical psychologist's vacation to Italy (for example), that wouldn't work.


message 30: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2569 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Marie wrote: "will clinical psychologist work for works in healthcare?"

Yes, mental health is definitely a part of healthcare. But be sure the main character is actually WORKING IN HEALTHCARE ... ..."


thanks


message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) Would The History of Love work as a "book about books"? Although that is exactly what the book is about "The History of Love" being a book, I don't think it is listed in the main page genre...which I assume means it has to show up without asking for "more".


message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Sara wrote: "Would The History of Love work as a "book about books"? Although that is exactly what the book is about "The History of Love" being a book, I don't think it is listed in the main page g..."

Per the task requirements "books about books" must show up on the genre list on the main page ... i.e. without clicking 'more'. Sorry this won't work at this time.

But those genres come and go... feel free to keep checking and if it shows up ask for verification in the Genre Verification thread.

It's a great book ... so I hope you can find a place to use it.


message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) Thank you, BC. I thought that was the case, but wanted to be sure. I have used it elsewhere.


message 34: by Cait S (last edited Jul 04, 2017 07:46AM) (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Edit: Nevermind, figured out a way to make it work! :)


message 35: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Seeking approval to use this book for Option D

Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore


message 36: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Wanda wrote: "Seeking approval to use this book for Option D

Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore"


Genre noted and over 250 pg


message 37: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Option A) The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Main character is taking part in a FBI classified programme - 308 pages


message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Claire wrote: "Option A) The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Main character is taking part in a FBI classified programme - 308 pages"


Sorry, no. Cassie is a teenager participating in a special programme. She is not a law enforcement officer.


message 39: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments A Perfect Evil by Alex Kava - Sheriff Nick Morrelli


message 40: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Claire wrote: "A Perfect Evil by Alex Kava - Sheriff Nick Morrelli"

Perfect for Option A


message 42: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Cindy wrote: "Is nonfiction ok for Option A

Hope in Hell: Inside the World of Doctors Without Borders"


See Message # 21 above ...


back to top