The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 20.4 - Golden Oldies - Kristi CO's Task: Bound for Boston!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 06, 2017 06:27AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
20.4 – Golden Oldies – Kristi CO’s Task: Bound for Boston!

I’m still in disbelief, but I’m moving to Boston at the end of June! While I will miss beautiful Colorado and my family, I’m excited to be moving to an area of the US with a vibrant culture, a rich history, and many places to explore.

Choose one option and read one book.
REQUIRED: Identify the option you chose.

No book with the main page genre Childrens or Kids may be used for this task.

Option 1: My new workplace is in Cambridge, and it’s next door to some well-known universities. Read a book whose author’s initials can be found in the words HARVARD and/or MIT. If the book has more than one author, only one author’s initials need to be used. Spaces determine names. All author initials must be included. Letters may only be used as often as they appear.

Option 2: Many great authors hail from New England. Read a book found on the first five pages of the New England Books listopia.
REQUIRED: State the page on which your selection was found.

Option 3: I’m making this move mostly for professional reasons. After almost 12 years at my current employer, it’s time to move on. And I was recruited, so that made it easy. The Boston area seems to be where all the exciting science is happening!

Read a non-fiction book with one of the following main page genres: Biology, Business, Chemistry, Health, Nature, or Science. The genres may be standalone or embedded.

message 2: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) | 474 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Welcome to Boston! I live about an hour south of Boston and 1/2 hour north of Providence. I worked at a facility, tied to MIT and Harvard, in Cambridge for 8 years. I miss using the red line daily. Enjoy!

Just verifying that the author initials in option 1 can span the words "MIT" and "HARVARD" not either or?

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7515 comments nice task! when I saw bound for boston - I was like Boston Marathon (which is a total bucket list race for me) :)

message 7: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) | 474 comments Lavender wrote: "Welcome to Boston! I live about an hour south of Boston and 1/2 hour north of Providence. I worked at a facility, tied to MIT and Harvard, in Cambridge for 8 years. I miss using the red line daily...."

Thanks, Lavender! Nice to meet you. I'll be working within a mile of both schools. And hopefully I'll have a place to live lined up today, fingers crossed.

And yes, your author initials can span both words.

message 8: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) | 474 comments Dee wrote: "nice task! when I saw bound for boston - I was like Boston Marathon (which is a total bucket list race for me) :)"

Dee, a task option about the marathon would have been a great idea. I've run two half marathons since October, but I don't think I'll ever get to the full marathon level. I know that Marathon Monday is one of our holidays at my new company:)

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7515 comments and I'm guessing MArathon Monday is probably early May? (the Monday of Boston)

message 12: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) | 474 comments Dee wrote: "and I'm guessing MArathon Monday is probably early May? (the Monday of Boston)"

I think it's in April, I want to say the 3rd Monday.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7515 comments yeah I screwed up my months, but that is the Monday of Boston Marathon (one of the few weekday marathons in the world)

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15618 comments Mod
Kristi wrote: "Dee wrote: "and I'm guessing MArathon Monday is probably early May? (the Monday of Boston)"

I think it's in April, I want to say the 3rd Monday."

It's always on Patriots Day. Which is also sometimes opening day at Fenway! Having lived in the area for many years, this was a day we carefully noted, because it could be very difficult to get places - roads blocked off because of the marathon.

message 15: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3370 comments Sandy wrote: "Kristi wrote: "Dee wrote: "and I'm guessing MArathon Monday is probably early May? (the Monday of Boston)"

I think it's in April, I want to say the 3rd Monday."

It's always on Patriots Day. Which..."

Amen to that and it has been for many moons since I went to boarding school in a Boston suburb during the 60's and the traffic was impossible even then.

message 16: by Elise (new)

message 17: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) | 474 comments Elise wrote: "Can I get A Perfect Score: The Art, Soul, and Business of a 21st-Century Winery approved for business, please ?"

Sorry for the delay, I just started my new job! Your book is approved.