Play Book Tag discussion

Americanah
This topic is about Americanah
June 2017: Coming of Age > Americanah - 4.5 stars, by Ngosi Adiche

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8136 comments It’s almost hard to describe the experience of reading this. It was a wonderful read. Ifemelu is authentically herself, honest and refreshing, boldly sharing her honesty, her reflections, her obervations, and her experiences – The only place she fails to allow herself to know or experience her deepest truth is with Obinze, her childhood and adult love. The one place she is truly seen and met, this is the one place she cannot allow herself to rise to meet. Of all the honest reflections and experiences, this one is the most honest, where she is truly bare, vulnerability and all. I have yet to see or meet anyone so boldly bare to date. Maybe that is the way to describe this book. She honestly bares. The book is categorized as coming of age, and she indeed does grow in this book – but I think she was almost born as wise beyond her years, as older than her age in her honesty and insight. She makes unexpected bold decisions throughout the book, that are so surprising, they take your breath away. It is only near the end of the book, that one wonders, can she finally take steps to make her life match with her outward expression.

Then there is the obvious theme of race and culture. This book is completely about identity and how one sees the self and is seen by others. It’s also about more than race, as her commentary extends to relationship and courting interactions and dynamics, customer service, food, hair, clothes, politics, houses, culture, books, parenting, conflict of cutures, immigrant experience, and academia. Its about embracing who one is amidst all the differences in cultures and paths one could take. Who one wants to be in the face of difficult choices around security, integrity, love, poverty, faith. I found from page one on, that I could have and would want a full length discussion on virtually every single interaction and observation in the book. I wanted to talk about everything she covered, qnd about the nuanced interactions of every day life, and of the most profound moments. Every one is a story. Which of course she turns into her blogging. Her honesty was refreshing, touching, enlightening, and bold. I wondered so much of the authors actual experience here. Its inextricably linked – has to be. It felt part memoir in style. She felt like someone I wanted to know, and would never know. Honest in a world where this kind of honesty doesn’t fly.

Who wouldn’t fall in love with Obinze. There is just something so real and complete about him – full, authentic, integrity driven. He is the perfect completion for her. It is interesting to contemplate the experience of connection on such a deep level. But this is not just reserved for books. There was an honesty in this experience too, where each of the two partners were flawed, vulnerable, integrity strained, and each hadn’t yet quite arrived. This relationship was the real deal – and I think I might not forget it for an extremely long time. What a wonderful read.

Next Coming of Age Read begins June 7th: Ready Player One...

Tracy (tstan) | 1173 comments So glad you liked this one- I read it earlier this year, and loved it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7643 comments I really must get to this. I have the paperback copy sitting on my end table just waiting for me to get to it....

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8136 comments Book group is this Sunday. It will be interesting to hear how he's really interesting remarkable women each see it. I've already spoken just a bit to a few.

Kelly | 769 comments I have been wondering about this book and if I should read it. I will now add it to my TBR list!

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8136 comments Book group last night was lovely and so interesting!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7643 comments That is great, Amy! My book club nominated this book once but ultimately ended up selecting another. When it is time for me to nominate again, maybe I will throw it back in the mix.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8136 comments Care to suggest what we read next? Maybe if I was truly brave, I would someday invite you to come. With or without costume - lol.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7643 comments Amy wrote: "Care to suggest what we read next? Maybe if I was truly brave, I would someday invite you to come. With or without costume - lol."

Oh no, no suggestions from me. I struggle just to keep a thumb on the pulse of my own group! Groups each have their own personality and the types of books they like, so any suggestion I made would be totally independent of that important knowledge.