The Bibliophiles discussion

Norse Mythology
This topic is about Norse Mythology
Book of the Month > June BOTM: Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
...And the winner is..Norse Mythology!! I am really excited to dig into this book and see what all the fuss is about! I was lucky enough to snag an available copy at the library and will hopefully start reading it this weekend! I am excited to see what everyone has to say about it! Please share your thoughts below!

Happy reading!

Kandice I think I already shared with you guys that I devoured this as soon as it came out and was amazingly...underwhelmed! Then I saw Neil Gaiman read a huge chunk of it and loved it. I had read it in a serious, internal voice. Gaiman read it as comedic. I plan on rereading with that in mind.

Kandice wrote: "I think I already shared with you guys that I devoured this as soon as it came out and was amazingly...underwhelmed! Then I saw Neil Gaiman read a huge chunk of it and loved it. I had read it in a ..."

Well that is good to know! I will make sure I do the same! I have noticed with his books that, sometimes, if you take it too seriously, they feel a bit..off I guess you'd say haha.

Kandice I really thought it was just too simple, not realizing that it could be comical, but hearing it that way made all the difference.

Just finished! I'm glad you mentioned the comedic tone of this book! I think I would have been left feeling the same as you had I not known that. I enjoyed this read though!

Kandice Lisa wrote: "Just finished! I'm glad you mentioned the comedic tone of this book! I think I would have been left feeling the same as you had I not known that. I enjoyed this read though!"

There were sexual innuendos that I simply didn't get as I read, but were so funny when he simply placed emphasis on a different word in a sentence!

Have you read American Gods? You get a lot of insight into Mr. Wednesday with this book. I wonder if research for AG is what led to him writing this one.

yes I have read that one! my hubby and I have been watching the show as well. I was actually telling him about that. especially how Odin would take his hat and cloak and travel the world and the symbolism of the tree. definitely had a very American Gods type vibe.

Kandice I want to see the AG series so badly, but we don't get Starz. I'm sure it will be available another way, but not for quite a while.

*sigh*

We watch it through my husband's Amazon prime membership. I'm loving it so far!

Kandice Lisa wrote: "We watch it through my husband's Amazon prime membership. I'm loving it so far!"

Will you please explain, in detail, how you do that? We have Amazon Prime, so theoretically, I should be able to do it.

message 11: by Lisa (last edited Jun 06, 2017 07:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

So American Gods is through Starz which we do not get through cable or anything so we do not have an account directly through Starz. If you do, you would just get the Starz streaming app and sign in that way. I couldn't explain that to you since I don't have it that way but it should be fairly simple. The way we do it through Prime though is by having our Amazon Prime subscription and then paying an additional 8.99/month for Starz Access. To do this, you will go to your amazon video app on any device or just on the Amazon website while logged into Prime. You will find the Channel categories and search Starz. You can then select it to be added and it will take you through the steps to set up the additional 8.99 a month. Once that is completed, all you have to do is search for the show and watch it! I don't know if you have watched other shows on Amazon Prime TV or not but if you haven't you can watch it on the Amazon website on a computer or laptop or on any device that you can download the Prime Video app such as your phone, a gaming console, a smart tv or streaming device like an Amazon Fire Stick or a Roku. I pretty much access the app from all of the above lol. Hopefully that explains it all but if you need more help or have any questions let me know!!

Kandice I have a firestick on one tv and a roku on another, so that shouldn't be a problem, but when you sign up for the $8.99, do you have to subscribe for a set time, or can you do it month to month? I'd be willing to pay the $8.99 to watch them all once they are out, but don't want to subscribe for an entire year to watch the one show.

Yes, I am a cheapskate!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kandice wrote: "I have a firestick on one tv and a roku on another, so that shouldn't be a problem, but when you sign up for the $8.99, do you have to subscribe for a set time, or can you do it month to month? I'd..."

Yes, it is a month to month thing. You can cancel or reactivate it at anytime. Just go back into the Amazon Channels and cancel it. We do the same with HBO during GOT seasons!

Kandice Lisa wrote: "Kandice wrote: "I have a firestick on one tv and a roku on another, so that shouldn't be a problem, but when you sign up for the $8.99, do you have to subscribe for a set time, or can you do it mon..."

Thank you so much!

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kandice wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Kandice wrote: "I have a firestick on one tv and a roku on another, so that shouldn't be a problem, but when you sign up for the $8.99, do you have to subscribe for a set time, or can ..."

Yes ma'am!!