The Lost Challenges discussion

Create a Challenge > Eye of the Beholder Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 615 (615 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 01, 2017 01:07PM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments This challenge comes from a combination of The Challenge Factory's "Gimme 5" and The Lost Challenge's "Judge a Book" so thanks to the inventors of those two challenges for their excellent ideas!

The basic idea is this: You choose five book covers of books you want to read, chosen for this challenge because you like their covers. Is the cover beautiful? Interesting? Intriguing? Loaded down with your favorite color? Cleverly done? Elegant? Striking? Whatever your reason, choose for this challenge based on the cover's VISUAL APPEAL to you.

After you've chosen, you post next in line in this thread. First, you pick ONE book from the five posted in the last post before yours. You're choosing the previous poster's next read based on which cover appeals to you most. Then you post your five choices, covers only. The next person to post picks for you. The one after that picks for them, and so on. When you're ready, you come back and post your next five, and pick for the person before you.

There are no reading deadines, and no minimum number of books -- you just pick and post when you're ready, and so does everyone else. ("Gimme 5" has been going on in one long unbroken stream since January 2012!) You don't have to have finished your last pick before you can repost -- in fact, you may want to post a little early to have something else lined up for when you finish!

To get us started, I'll post my first five picks here. First one to join, pick for me! I hope you'll join us!

The Affair An enthralling story of love and passion and Hollywood glamour by Gill Paul The Accidental Empress (Sisi, #1) by Allison Pataki Bewitching Season (Leland Sisters, #1) by Marissa Doyle A Certain Age by Beatriz Williams Roses by Leila Meacham

message 2: by Rina (new)

Rina | 1084 comments It sounds fun :-)

Jennifer, I pick
The Affair An enthralling story of love and passion and Hollywood glamour by Gill Paul

My five choices are:
Beim Leben meiner Tochter by Michel Bussi The Secret by Kathryn Hughes Paw Enforcement (Paw Enforcement, #1) by Diane Kelly Florence Grace by Tracy Rees The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan

message 3: by Rosa (last edited Jun 02, 2017 04:19AM) (new)

Rosa | 2106 comments aww that sounds great! I'm on my cellphone now, but I'll jump in as soon as I'm home this evening!

I'll do it from the phone anyway, can't wait.

Rina, I pick for you:

The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan

(very beautiful cover)

My covers are:

Fakers (Canaan Island #1) by Meg Collett My Immortal Romance by Julius St. Clair Sugar & Other Luxuries by Everly Scott Half way to Hawaii by Torben Sonntag The Big Lead by Libby Kirsch

message 4: by Connie N. (last edited Jun 02, 2017 11:38AM) (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments I love this idea, Jennifer! I haven't participated in Gimme 5 in a long time--thanks for the reminder and a new twist on that challenge.

Rosa, for you I pick Fakers (Canaan Island #1) by Meg Collett because I love that shade of green. It makes me think of spring.

My choices:
Around the World in 50 Years My Adventure to Every Country on Earth by Albert Podell The Middle of Somewhere by Sonja Yoerg One Less Problem Without You by Beth Harbison Pull Me Close (The Panic, #1) by Sidney Halston Black Tie Optional (Wild Wedding, #1) by Ann Marie Walker

LOL, I seem to have drinking on the brain since I chose 2 covers with alcohol on them!

message 5: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments Thanks, Twist. I agree--that one stands out, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 6: by Rosa (new)

Rosa | 2106 comments Thanks, Connie! The shade of green was it for me, too :)

message 7: by Rosa (last edited Jun 04, 2017 02:45PM) (new)

Rosa | 2106 comments Connie, thank you for your pick, finished Fakers by Meg Collett today and I enjoyed reading it!

I hope I can play again?

If so, I'll choose Close to Home (Westen, #1) by Suzanne Ferrell for Twist, because I like to take these kind of pics as well :)

My new choices are:

That Perfect Place by M.L. Carr The Man Test (The Marin Test #1) by Amanda Aksel Claws by Ricky Sides Kaleidoscope Hearts (Hearts, #1) by Claire Contreras Evil Librarian by Michelle Knudsen

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments play as often as you want!

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 04, 2017 05:07PM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Connie N. wrote: "I love this idea, Jennifer! I haven't participated in Gimme 5 in a long time--thanks for the reminder and a new twist on that challenge."

:-) I'm finally caught up on 9 of my last ten "gimme 5" picks -- it was so much fun picking and posting that i'd do that part faster than I could get them read!

message 10: by Rosa (new)

Rosa | 2106 comments Jennifer wrote: "play as often as you want!"

yay!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Rosa, i pick That Perfect Place by M.L. Carr for you.

My next five:

Bewitching Season (Leland Sisters, #1) by Marissa Doyle A Certain Age by Beatriz Williams Roses by Leila Meacham Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler A Spell of Trouble (Silver Hollow #1) by Leighann Dobbs

message 12: by Rosa (last edited Jun 11, 2017 03:05AM) (new)

Rosa | 2106 comments Thanks for picking That Perfect Place by M.L. Carr Jennifer! It was #3 on my TBR and I was glad I finally read it because I enjoyed it a lot!

My pick for you is:

Roses by Leila Meacham

My next five:

Sunny Side Up (Lake Erie Mysteries #1) by Maureen K. Howard Next Stop, Chancey (Chancey #1) by Kay Dew Shostak Picking Lemons by J.T. Toman Sugar & Other Luxuries by Everly Scott The Man Test (The Marin Test #1) by Amanda Aksel

message 13: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 17, 2017 09:08AM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Rosa: I pick Picking Lemons by J.T. Toman for you because what a cheerful cover!

My next five:
Bewitching Season (Leland Sisters, #1) by Marissa Doyle A Certain Age by Beatriz Williams Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler A Spell of Trouble (Silver Hollow #1) by Leighann Dobbs Southern Spirits (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #1) by Angie Fox

message 14: by Connie N. (last edited Jun 20, 2017 02:08PM) (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments Nice ones, Jennifer. I choose Bewitching Season (Leland Sisters, #1) by Marissa Doyle . I like the whole look of the partially hidden face, suggesting an interesting story.

Those of you who know me know that I love a good romance. Which means there are a lot of yummy male bodies on the covers I choose. So here are a few on my Kindle that are on my to-read-soon list:

My choices:
Eye Candy (Real Love, #1) by Jessica Lemmon Until November (Until, #1) by Aurora Rose Reynolds Cowboy to Command (Stripped Down, #2) by Sabrina York The Goal (Off-Campus, #4) by Elle Kennedy Giving It All (Naked Men, #3) by Christi Barth

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Connie N. wrote: "Nice ones, Jennifer. I choose Bewitching Season (Leland Sisters, #1) by Marissa Doyle. I like the whole look of the partially hidden face, suggesting an interesting story.

Those of you who know me know that I love ..."

I could have sworn you picked a spell of trouble -- changed your mind, did you? Guess what. I'll read both! :)

message 16: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments LOL, I had added that one first, then I decided I'd pick one that you had chosen earlier. You must have checked during the few moments that I was debating. I swear it was only a couple of minutes before I went back and changed my mind!

message 17: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 21, 2017 09:04AM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Connie N. wrote: "LOL, I had added that one first, then I decided I'd pick one that you had chosen earlier. You must have checked during the few moments that I was debating. I swear it was only a couple of minutes b..."

Like i needed an excuse to read another book! I usually repost my prior choices minus anything I've read in the meantime. That way eventually everything gets read .... as it will in this case! :)

message 18: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments Jennifer wrote: "Like i needed an excuse to read another book! "

I know what you mean. Although I posted my choices in hopes that someone will pick another one for me (to go along with the one I have on my list already) since I'm heading off for a 10-day vacation tomorrow and would love to download it to my Kindle before I go (hint-hint)...

message 19: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 21, 2017 09:12AM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Well, allow me --

Eye Candy (Real Love, #1) by Jessica Lemmon

I'm a sucker for that suit jacket with no tie look.

My next five will be:

Lookaway, Lookaway by Wilton Barnhardt Palace Circle by Rebecca Dean A Certain Age by Beatriz Williams Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler Southern Spirits (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #1) by Angie Fox

message 20: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments LOL, thanks Jennifer! I'll be back in a few days and will (hopefully) have finished the two on my list so I can choose again...

message 21: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 119 comments Jennifer , my pick for you is
Lookaway, Lookaway by Wilton Barnhardt

My five are
Her Unexpected Hero by Kyra Jacobs The View from Rainshadow Bay (Lavender Tides #1) by Colleen Coble Sparkling Souls (Sparkling Series, #3) by Jess Wright Lucky Charmed (Charmed in Texas, #2) by Sharla Lovelace The Bad Luck Bride (The Cavensham Heiresses #1) by Janna MacGregor

message 22: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 276 comments For Poongothai I pick The Bad Luck Bride (The Cavensham Heiresses #1) by Janna MacGregor

My five:
Above Us Only Sky by Michele Young-Stone Kingdom of Ash and Briars by Hannah West The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee by Erin Petti Once (Once Series) by Morris Gleitzman

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Cindy, i pick Above Us Only Sky by Michele Young-Stone for you!

My next five:
Palace Circle by Rebecca Dean A Certain Age by Beatriz Williams Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler Southern Spirits (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #1) by Angie Fox Summer's End (Summerset Abbey) by T.J. Brown

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments :} Sharon {; wrote: "Jennifer, this was a great idea! It is fun just to look through & see everyones cover choices!"

Why thank you, ma'am! And I've even gotten a few of mine read!!:-)

message 25: by Ruth (last edited Jul 27, 2017 10:06AM) (new)

Ruth | 26 comments Jennifer wrote: "Cindy, i pick Above Us Only Sky by Michele Young-Stone for you!

My next five:
Palace Circle by Rebecca Dean A Certain Age by Beatriz Williams Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler
I pick Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler for you Jennifer. Maybe you have already read it , because I see you posted at the start of the month :).

My 5 covers are :
The Green Road by Anne Enright The Hobbit. J.R.R. Tolkien by J.R.R. Tolkien I Am David by Anne Holm Frog Music by Emma Donoghue Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Ruth wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Cindy, i pick Above Us Only Sky by Michele Young-Stone for you!

My next five:
Palace Circle by Rebecca Dean A Certain Age by Beatriz Williams [bookcover:Z: A Novel of Zelda Fi..."

Nope, haven't read it yet. Thank you for the pick!

message 27: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments Ruth wrote: "My 5 covers are :
The Green Road by Anne Enright The Hobbit. J.R.R. Tolkien by J.R.R. Tolkien I Am David by Anne Holm Frog Music by Emma Donoghue Summer Sisters by Judy Blume "

Have you really not read The Hobbit, Ruth? Or would this be a reread?

message 28: by Ruth (last edited Aug 16, 2017 03:48AM) (new)

Ruth | 26 comments Connie N. wrote: "Ruth wrote: "My 5 covers are :
The Green Road by Anne Enright The Hobbit. J.R.R. Tolkien by J.R.R. Tolkien I Am David by Anne Holm Frog Music by Emma Donoghue Summer Sisters by Judy Blume "

Have y..."

No I have never read The Hobbit ! Or Lord of the Rings for that matter. I have it on my list... I will read it at the start of next month thanks. It will fit into some monthly challenge I am sure. I have a nice edition of it too.. Thanks Connie ! :)

message 29: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 26 comments Connie N. wrote: "Ruth wrote: "My 5 covers are :

Have y..."

Do you have any books that you would like me to pick Connie ?

message 30: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 36930 comments Mod
We need to get back to the game playing. ;) because I wanna play this one!
Jennifer, did you see that Ruth picked Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler for you?

Then Ruth posted -
My 5 covers are :
The Green Road by Anne Enright J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien I am David by Anne Holm Frog Music by Emma Donoghue Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

message 31: by JoAnne (new)

Since Connie asked Ruth about The Hobbit, I will pick that one.

My List
Heated (Most Wanted, #2) by J. Kenner Garden of Lies by Amanda Quick Some Kind of Wonderful (Puffin Island #2) by Sarah Morgan Robert B. Parker's Blind Spot (Jesse Stone, #13) by Reed Farrel Coleman Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves, #1) by Quinn Loftis

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments JoAnne wrote: "We need to get back to the game playing. ;) because I wanna play this one!
Jennifer, did you see that Ruth picked Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler for you?

Then Ruth posted -
..."

Yep, thanks!!!! I'm finishing up a cozy challenge then I'm getting to knock a "z" book off of about six spell-outs!!!

message 33: by JoAnne (new)

Cool - I LOVE when that happens! I read a book about her (Zelda) years ago. So sad!

message 34: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments JoAnne wrote: "We need to get back to the game playing. ;) because I wanna play this one! "

I know what you mean, JoAnne. As I recall, that's what I found to be problematic with "Give Me 5" in the other group. Things would die down for a while, then there'd be a flurry of choices. I'm still trying to get to the one chosen for me. Do you generally have more than one book going at a time for this challenge?

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Joanne picked the hobbit for you, connie, if I'm reading the above correctly. I pick Garden of Lies by Amanda Quick for Joanne. My next five are:

Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery, #2) by Ellery Adams Thistle While You Work (Wicked Witches of the Midwest Short) by Amanda M. Lee Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4) by J.A. Konrath Love You Madly (Daytime Mystery, #3) by Linda Palmer and Deader Homes and Gardens (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #4) by Angie Fox .

Yep, I play to play whether I'm ready or not, and just keep a list of "next-ups" for this challenge. Keeps the game moving more quickly.

message 36: by JoAnne (last edited Aug 16, 2017 09:20AM) (new)

J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien was picked for Ruth.

Connie, Eye Candy (Real Love, #1) by Jessica Lemmon was the last pick for you by Jennifer in message 20.

So the next person needs to pick for Jennifer in Message 37.

message 37: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments Yep, I finished Eye Candy (Real Love, #1) by Jessica Lemmon
Eye Candy by Jessica Lemmon - 8/12/17 ♥♥♥♥

Still working on Pull Me Close (The Panic, #1) by Sidney Halston

message 38: by JoAnne (new)

Next Pick for Jennifer in Message 37.

message 39: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 543 comments I won't pop up here wery often, but I decided to join - even if I fear I'll regrett it to start another fun challenge :-)

Jennifer I picked for you: Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4) by J.A. Konrath - I love his style - unfortunatelly I'm too chicken for his books - got stuck with the 3rd in series.

My first five are:
When a Secret Kills (Deadly Reunions, #3) by Lynette Eason Web of Deceit (Agents Under Fire) by Susan Sleeman Rumble on the Bayou by Jana Deleon Once Upon a Prince by Rachel Hauck Betrayal by Tim Tigner

message 40: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments Agnieszka wrote: "I won't pop up here wery often, but I decided to join - even if I fear I'll regrett it to start another fun challenge :-"

There's no deadline on this one, Agnieszka, so keep on playing whenever you can.

message 41: by Connie N. (last edited Aug 16, 2017 12:42PM) (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments Agnieszka, I pick for you: Web of Deceit (Agents Under Fire #1) by Susan Sleeman
I really like the bold single-color covers with just a silhouette.

My new choices:
The All You Can Dream Buffet by Barbara O'Neal The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1) by N.L. Wilson Around the World in 50 Years My Adventure to Every Country on Earth by Albert Podell I Kill Me Tales of A Jilted Hypochondriac by Tracy H. Tucker The Middle of Somewhere by Sonja Yoerg

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Agnieszka wrote: "I won't pop up here wery often, but I decided to join - even if I fear I'll regrett it to start another fun challenge :-)

Jennifer I picked for you: Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4) by J.A. Konrath - I love his s..."

I found the third very difficult as well. I'm hoping the fourth is milder.

message 43: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2017 12:08PM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments I will have finished my pick by Friday, so -- Connie, I pick The All You Can Dream Buffet by Barbara O'Neal for you and my next five are:

Deader Homes and Gardens (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #4) by Angie Fox The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly A Grave Prediction (A Psychic Eye Mystery, #14) by Victoria Laurie Witch Way To Amethyst (A Stacy Justice Mystery #0.5) by Barbra Annino Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, #5) by J.A. Konrath

message 44: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments Thanks, Jennifer!

message 45: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments I finished my first book chosen, way back in early June:

Pull Me Close by Sidney Halston - 8/23/17 ♥♥♥♥
Pull Me Close (The Panic, #1) by Sidney Halston

message 46: by JoAnne (new)

Fantastic Connie!

message 47: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments I haven't started my next one yet. As soon as I get into that one, I'll be back to pick again.

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 649 comments Connie N. wrote: "I haven't started my next one yet. As soon as I get into that one, I'll be back to pick again."

Good show! Man, these books pile up fast don't they?

message 49: by Connie N. (last edited Apr 11, 2018 12:26PM) (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments I'm almost done with my pick, so I'm back...

Jennifer, for you I choose Witch Way To Amethyst (Stacy Justice Prequel) by Barbra Annino because I love that deep purple color.

I've included a bunch of covers with deep rich colors as well:

My choices:
Space in His Heart by Roxanne St. Claire Catch and Release (Fishing for Trouble, #3) by Laura Drewry Make Me Stay (Panic, #2) by Sidney Halston At Bluebonnet Lake (Texas Crossroads, #1) by Amanda Cabot The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1) by N.L. Wilson

message 50: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3259 comments I finished my previous pick. Loved it. Not sure why it took me so long to read it.

The All You Can Dream Buffet by Barbara O'Neal - 8/28/17 ♥♥♥♥♥

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13