This topic is about Little Women
2017 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Erica & Mary - Little Women

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5379 comments Mod
Erica & Mary - Little Women

message 2: by Erica (last edited Jun 08, 2017 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica | 934 comments I just finished chapter 4 and am so enjoying this. I had utterly forgotten the story from when I read it decades ago! I do recall liking Jo the best, though - and I still do. I was a tomboy growing up, and I'm sure that's why she appealed to me...

Mary Bronson | 28 comments I agree with you! I have seen the movie so many times that I picture the actors and actresses instead of thinking up my own version of them. I like how that most of the chapters are short and it seems like we can get through them a bit faster. I like Jo the best as well. Even though all of the other sisters are just as strong characters.

Erica | 934 comments How far are you? How many chapters a day do you want to read?

Erica | 934 comments I just finished chapter 10. In chapter 3, I'm curious why Jo's ruining of Meg's glove by staining it with coffee was never commented on by Meg... Remaining comments go past chapter 3 up through 10, so I'm putting them in a spoiler alert.
(view spoiler)
Thoroughly enjoying this read. A bit amazed at how sweet and altruistic the girls are. So much has changed in our society!

Mary Bronson | 28 comments Laurie is one of those characters we tend to forget about after awhile, but I love him. Some people might say he is spoiled and self-centered, but I think he is just a sad lonely boy who is forced to be someone he is expected to be and not the person he wants to be. I love his friendships with the girls and how they love having him around due to the boredom they sometimes face.

You are right about how in chapter 8 when Amy burns Jo's writings I think tit was taken from real life because the book is based on her and her sisters.

I agree so much has changed from society from when this book was first written. I am also enjoying this read as well. I have gotten a bit further. Chapter 18. I had some time and I also read some during my hour long lunch break at work.

Erica | 934 comments Oh wow - good for you!! I will try to finish Book I today!

message 8: by Erica (last edited Jun 08, 2017 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica | 934 comments Book I done! OH it's so good!! I had also forgotten about Mr. Brooke and Meg. Happy of it, too, as that leaves Laurie free for Jo... This story grows on you so. At first it seems almost too sickly sweet but it just keeps getting better as she fleshes out the characters. I can see we'll be done with this in no time.

Erica | 934 comments I will finish this by tomorrow probably. Just thoroughly enjoying it.

I have been wondering how it was for Alcott to write about Jo's writing - since Jo is based on her own life. It must have felt a bit strange to work on that without feeling boastful or what have you.

I had to laugh at Meg's foibles as a new, young married woman. The stories ring so true to what can happen to a young couple, even today!

I am at the part where Jo has forcibly removed herself from home to work in NY so that Beth can enjoy Laurie's company alone. I know things don't go well from here generally. I want to finish reading, but not looking forward to the next part (from what I remember).

Erica | 934 comments I finished this morning. I love Mr. Baehr!! And so happy at how everything turns out - except, of course, dear Beth.

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Bronson | 28 comments Hey!!! I just finished the book today!! I really do enjoy this book. Laurie is one of my favorite fictional crush. I have the Puffin Classic that is unabridged version with questions to think about in the back. One that stood out:
How does Jo March compare to some modern day literary heroines such as Hermione Granger from Harry Potter? And which of your favorite heroes or heroines do you think she would be friends with?

I think that she would be very good friends with Hermione because they both love to read and they are both practical people. I think she might also be friends with Katniss Everdeen because both are very protective of their sisters. Plus both of them have great bravery. I know some people might not think Jo as brave, but for her time she is. To let Beth go and live on with her life and leave home for awhile.

I am now going to buy the movie (1994) version because it has been ages since I have seen it.

Also when you have time go to youtube and check out Attic Series which is a modern vlog version of the classic.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEea...

I follow most of the actors from the webseries and they actually follow me and talk with me through Twitter.

Erica | 934 comments Yay!! So glad you finally got to this. I agree that Jo was very brave for her times. It is just hard to imagine a society where simply being a bit outspoken was considered very bold.
And yes, I agree she would probably be friends with Hermione. I don't know who Katniss Everdeen is - ??
I will have to check out the vlog thing sometime. I have never even heard of those! I guess that just shows my age. Once we got to twitter I sort of maxed out on new formats of social interaction... It's pretty cool that those actors communicate with you directly.

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Bronson | 28 comments Katniss Everdeen is the main character in the young adult series The Hunger Games.

Erica | 934 comments Oh, okay. I haven't read any of those (or watched any of them). Are they good?