Books and Jams Readalong discussion

North and South - June > Who's Here?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
I'm glad you're here to read North and South this June. Let us all know if you're joining in.

In light of this book and so that we can get to know each other better let's share if we're a CITY or COUNTRY person. Do you prefer city life or country living? Do you live in one or the other? When you vacation do you like to explore a new city or go hiking somewhere in the country? Or a mix of both! Share with the rest of us!

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky I'll be joining in on reading North and South.

Although, I don't live in the country and I never have, I think I would really enjoy living in the country. My family and I have talked about and dreamed about one day moving to a more rural area. I currently live about 20 minutes outside of NYC in a typical suburban town.

When vacationing (which I don't do very often) I enjoy beach towns. Nothing beats relaxing on the beach with a good book! Although, if money was no object exploring new cities whether here or in the US or in another country would be fun. My son just recently went to Ireland, Scotland and Wales with a small group from his high school and he had an amazing time exploring.

message 3: by Mamey (new)

Mamey (mameysmedley) I live in upstate NY in a suburban town. I could not live in a big city as it's too fast-paced for me. I older I get, the quieter I want it to be. I much prefer the country but we do visit NYC often for Yankee games. My husband and I always vacation on the coast. Usually Maine. We LOOOVE the ocean. I will be reading North and South and I am thrilled to get my copy any day now. Happy Reading everyone!

message 4: by Lina (new)

Lina | 4 comments I'm so excited to be joining in on the readalong this month!

I'm a country girl for sure. I grew up in a small village in rural northern Sweden, with the forest literally on my doorstep. I've been living in a city for almost six years now, but I visit home whenever I get the chance and hope to move out of the city core in the not too distant future.

When I go on vacation I do enjoy a mix of both cities and country side. I'm not really one for beach vacations, mostly because I can't stand the heat (like I said, I grew up in northern Sweden. I'm just not well adjusted to warm climates!). So instead I enjoy doing stuff with a more cultural flair - visiting museums, taking a stroll around the old parts of a city, trying out the local food.

I look forward to chatting with you all throughout the month! :)

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Tyuk | 6 comments I would love to join. I have heard so much about the book, and will be happy to read it and them discuss with you guys.

I am a city girl, bus a small city, do no feel comfortable in huge cities like Moscow, London and Paris. I do not think I could live in a country but you never know since I haven't tried it)))
When on vacation I prefer to discover new places and cities, I am not fan of staying in a tent somewhere in the nature without electricity and shower (if you know what i mean)))

message 6: by Jenn (last edited Jun 02, 2017 07:00AM) (new)

Jenn (sterlingmccord) Krista wrote: "I'm glad you're here to read North and South this June. Let us all know if you're joining in.

In light of this book and so that we can get to know each other better let's share if we're a CITY or..."

My copy is being delivered tomorrow and I'm looking forward to reading another book with y'all.

I live in Colorado Springs, which is a city at the base of the eastern Colorado Rockies. Even though I technically live in a city it feels pretty rural. I live at the base of the mountain and we visited by deer, turkeys, rabbits, and black bears on a regular bases.

I enjoy vacations that include hiking, fishing, skiing, and anything by the water (lake or ocean). I prefer vacations in cooler climates, in areas that aren't very crowded.

message 7: by randomreader (last edited Jun 02, 2017 06:32AM) (new)

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments I'm joining in for North and South! I've read the first 3 chapters so far. :)

If I had to choose, I would pick the country life over the city life, even though I live in the suburbs of central Florida, which is sort of in between the two. I like a short and sweet visit to big cities like Orlando or New York, but overall I prefer wide open spaces and the beauty of untouched nature over busy city streets. Too many people haha!

My perfect vacation spot would be a cozy cabin/cottage (not a tent!) in the woods somewhere, preferably in the Fall when it's cooler. Maybe in the Carolina mountains somewhere...

message 8: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerdawn7) | 10 comments I'm gonna try SO hard to get to North and South. I already have like 11 or 12 other books that I'm planning to read this month, so we'll see. But I'm very interested in reading it.

I have grown up in the city (a smaller city), but I've always wanted to live in the country. I like my space and I like quiet! When it comes to vacationing, I just want to do it all!

message 9: by Debbi (new)

Debbi Faust | 164 comments I already have my library copy of North and South.

I live in Vancouver, Washington.... that is just across the bridge from a really big city, Portland, Oregon. Vancouver is growing by leaps and bounds. Traffic here is crazy and people drive crazy. I do not like it. I avoid going to Portland if I can. When we do need to go there my husband drives.

In my dream life I would live in a very small village and have the cutest cottage in town. Like Marney commented, "The older I get, the quieter I like it."

My husband and I have a travel trailer. Sometimes we go to the Oregon or Washington coast. My favorite place to go is a small campground on the Columbia River. It is so much fun to watch the big ships go up and down the river. I try to imagine the places they have been and what they have seen.

I, also, like to take the back roads when we travel. I love looking at the farms. Old barns and buildings are my favorite. I look at them and think "if only the walls could talk".

Tasha (Amaysn Reads) (amaysnreads) | 1 comments I will be joining in for North and South.

I live in a suburb of Dallas, Texas. I'm definitely a city person, although my southern accent may make me seem otherwise. ;)

When I go on vacation I love to sight see what the city is "known for" and I love to explore the restaurants and bakeries.

I'm so excited about joining in this readalong!

message 11: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 28 comments JenTheLibrarian wrote: "I'm joining in for North and South! I've read the first 3 chapters so far. :)

If I had to choose, I would pick the country life over the city life, even though I live in the suburbs of central Flo..."

Yes! The Smokey Mountains are amazing....I think Asheville, NC is like my favorite city of all time...you should go sometime!

message 12: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 28 comments I'm joining in this month! I'm super excited to read this classic with all of you! I am definitely a country person. I grew up in a city of about 20,000 people. I am surrounded by farms, rivers, and bluffs, so I grew up doing a lot of outdoor activities. My husband and I currently live outside of the city, and enjoy gardening and are thinking about getting chickens...I would really like goats too, but he's not super thrilled :) When I vacation, I like to do a mix of things. I think my favorite place to vacation has been Ireland. There is such an awesome mix of things to do, bigger cities, but also quaint little towns in the rolling hills. Next time I go back, I think we are going to focus in on staying in just small towns :)

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) Ok my book just got here today. So will try and start this weekend. I just love this group. I am reading so many books I would have never picked up.

message 14: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) Robyn wrote: "JenTheLibrarian wrote: "I'm joining in for North and South! I've read the first 3 chapters so far. :)

If I had to choose, I would pick the country life over the city life, even though I live in th..."

I was born in Asheville such a wonderful place. Haven't been back in awhile but my Uncle and cousins live there. Hope to go visit this summer some time.

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) I am defintley a country girl. Have always lived in small towns. Was born in Asheville, NC and grew up in a small town in PA. I also live in a small town in Upstate NY now and just love it.

I do although enjoy going to the city. Boston and Seattle are two of my favorites. I am a Yankee fan at heart but have to say Boston over NY city for me city wise lol.

message 16: by Debbi (new)

Debbi Faust | 164 comments Wendy wrote: "I am defintley a country girl. Have always lived in small towns. Was born in Asheville, NC and grew up in a small town in PA. I also live in a small town in Upstate NY now and just love it.

I do ..."

Seattle is a beautiful city but so big.

message 17: by Krista (new)

I love hearing all your preferences and seeing who will be reading this month!

I forgot to answer my own question. I'd say I'm a pretty good mix between city and country, but lean more toward country on a day to day basis. My soul gets recharged in nature. I love a beautiful sunset, a sky full of stars, water in a stream, river, lake or ocean, a huge beautiful tree. I love it all.

However, although it's not "soul-charging", I do LOVE going exploring in a new city that I've never been to, or finding hidden gems in a city I love. When I travel to new places I love the culture and life that is found in a city...and let's not forget finding all the bookshops we can! haha.

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Forbes (sharonaforbes) | 26 comments I live in a small town in NE Florida. I don't care much for large cities, I much prefer a slower pace, especially now that I'm getting older! I love vacationing near the ocean, and fortunately fir me, Florida has plenty to choose from, and I particularly love the Gulf Coast. I enjoy exploring a new city from time to time, and seeing what it has to offer. I'm looking forward to reading North and South with all of you!!

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex | 6 comments I live in Alabama so I see a rural country setting everyday. I would love to one day live in a city. When I have the opportunity to take a vacation it is almost always go to a city. Chicago is my current favorite. I love the idea of being able to walk to a restaurant or store.
I am very excited to start North and South. I watched the BBC version in college and have wanted to read it since. The book tube love of Elizabeth Gaskell has only added to my desire to dive in.
Happy Reading,
Alex

message 20: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Hi, I'm joining in to read North and South. I'm loving it so far!

I'm from British Columbia, Canada and live in the suburbs. I would love to live in the country though! When we vacation we always explore. We can't just sit on a beach! Well at least my husband can't. : ) I do love exploring though, both country and city.

Hope everyone enjoys reading North and South!

message 21: by Krista (new)

Cathy wrote: "Hi, I'm joining in to read North and South. I'm loving it so far!

I'm from British Columbia, Canada and live in the suburbs. I would love to live in the country though! When we vacation we always ..."

I love exploring too! It's nice to sit and relax for a bit during vacations, but I really love finding new places to check out, whether that's hiking or trotting around a city! :) Glad you're here to join us, Cathy!

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky I had planned to read North and South this month, but life took some changes I didn't see coming. It definitly affected my reading this month and it just wasn't the month for me to pick up a classic.

My husband was in the hospital from Monday-Friday last week. They believe that he has some type of rare musle or dystrophy disease. We are waiting, and will probably be waiting awhile, for test results to come back. We are praying that this is treatable and trying to just take one day at a time.

Krista, hopefully I can join into the next round of the Book Swap-A-Thon. I hope you had a great time with your first hosting of a readathon. :)

message 23: by randomreader (new)

randomreader  (goodreadscomrandomreader) | 43 comments Praying for your husband, Becky!

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky JenTheLibrarian wrote: "Praying for your husband, Becky!"

Thanks Jenna! <3 I just sent you a DM.

message 25: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 28 comments Becky wrote: "I had planned to read North and South this month, but life took some changes I didn't see coming. It definitly affected my reading this month and it just wasn't the month for me to pick up a classi..."

So sorry to hear Becky! I will be sending prayers your way! <3

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky Robyn wrote: "Becky wrote: "I had planned to read North and South this month, but life took some changes I didn't see coming. It definitly affected my reading this month and it just wasn't the month for me to pi..."

Thank you Robyn. <3

message 27: by Debbi (new)

Debbi Faust | 164 comments Robyn wrote: "Becky wrote: "I had planned to read North and South this month, but life took some changes I didn't see coming. It definitly affected my reading this month and it just wasn't the month for me to pi..."

Becky, Don't feel bad. I was going to read the book too but we had to make some major decisions this month and I felt like reading the book needed more concentration then I could give it. There is always July to join in and have fun with everyone.

message 28: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Forbes (sharonaforbes) | 26 comments Becky, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, you both are in my prayers! I, too, had a loved one with a health crisis. My MIL had to have a stent put in her heart, she's doing pretty well now, but it's required care from me, mainly in the way of driving her to dr appts. and I just couldn't get into this classic right now. I did read up through chapter 17, I believe, but had to shelf it for now. I'd like to reread it in the future, and perhaps watch the mini-series too.

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky Sharon wrote: "Becky, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, you both are in my prayers! I, too, had a loved one with a health crisis. My MIL had to have a stent put in her heart, she's doing pretty well now, b..."

Thank you for your prayers. I will keep your MIL in my prayers as well. Yes, I would like to read and watch the mini-series another time too.

message 30: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) Becky I will keep you in my thoughts as you wait to hear the results. Sounds like this has been a tough month for a bunch of us. Hopefully July is much brighter. My family was visiting so not much reading done and also been a tough month with new job and my brother-in-law was diagnosed with early on set Alzheimer back a few months ago and is showing signs. I feel for my sister and pray for here every day. It is genetic and there is also a strong chance my two nieces my be carriers. So hopefully for all of us July will be so so much better.

message 31: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Forbes (sharonaforbes) | 26 comments Wendy, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, your family is in my prayers. June WAS a tough month for several of us, here's praying as we come up on 4th of July that this month will be a better one. It's nice that we have such a wonderful reading community here, even though we may never meet face to face, we can share our love of reading and bond together here for support. I hope and pray everyone has a safe and happy 4th!! 😊

message 32: by Debbi (new)

Debbi Faust | 164 comments Sharon wrote: "Wendy, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, your family is in my prayers. June WAS a tough month for several of us, here's praying as we come up on 4th of July that this month will be a ..."

Amen!

message 33: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) Sharon wrote: "Wendy, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, your family is in my prayers. June WAS a tough month for several of us, here's praying as we come up on 4th of July that this month will be a ..."

Thanks Sharon and I agree, it is so nice to have such a great book community. It helps to much to talk about what is going and hope that is the same for everyone else. I send out prayers to everyone having a tough time right now and hope it only gets better.