message 1: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
The categories for July 2017's reads are:

Love
Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Nominate away!

message 2: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 637 comments Mod
my Love nomination was chose last time, so I'll let somebody else have a go there ;o)

but for Sci-Fi & Fantasy I nominate: Solaris by Stanisław Lem
Solaris by Stanisław Lem

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments How about More Die of Heartbreak by Saul Bellow for the Love category?

For sci fi, I will nominate The Scar by China Mieville.

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 231 comments I second MORE DIE OF HEARTBREAK.

For Sci Fi, I looked down the list, and thought THE COMING RACE looked interesting:

Edward Bulwer-Lytton: The Coming Race (1871)
In this pioneering work of British science fiction, the hero is a bumptious American mining engineer who stumbles on a subterranean civilisation. The "Vril-ya" enjoy a utopian social organisation based on "vril", a source of infinitely renewable electrical power (commerce promptly produced the beef essence drink, Bovril). Also present are ray guns, aerial travel and ESP. Ironically, the hero finds utopia too boring. He is rescued from death by the Princess Zee, who flies him to safety. The novel ends with the ominous prophecy that the superior race will invade the upper earth - "the Darwinian proposition", as Bulwer-Lytton called it.

Should be free for Kindle:
The Coming Race

message 5: by Kaycie (new)

Because I like to have polls, if only to see who all is supposed to be reading the book each month (yeah, voters who don't comment - we see you!), I will nominate:

A Heart So White by Javier Marias for the Love category.

Otherwise, polls will be up shortly, vote away!

message 6: by Kaycie (new)

Where are our voters, guys? Only 3 people want to read this month?

message 7: by Darren (new)

have messages been sent to group members to remind them that polls are open?
(I can't remember if I got one, cos I'm pro-actively keen anyway!)

message 8: by Kaycie (new)

I only send messages to the entire group when we have a tie, usually, because we end up with lots of voters who never (and have never!) read a book with us before. I figure if people are proactive enough to follow the nominations threads, there is a better chance they will participate! (Like you!)

message 9: by Bilwa (last edited Jun 19, 2017 07:35AM) (new)

Bilwa Missed quite a few as I've fallen behind schedule and am struggling to keep up! I will be back for the next nomination.

message 10: by Darren (new)

I already have a copy of Solaris
and I just ordered a copy of A Heart So White
so I am all geared up for July!
Solaris by Stanisław Lem A Heart So White by Javier Marías

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Kaycie wrote: "Where are our voters, guys? Only 3 people want to read this month?"

Sorry - life got hectic and I missed the polls.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments I don't think I would have voted, because I won't have the book in front of me till the second week of July, but I'd like to join in a discussion with Solaris. I'll just have to play catch-up.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Christopher wrote: "I second MORE DIE OF HEARTBREAK.

For Sci Fi, I looked down the list, and thought THE COMING RACE looked interesting:

Edward Bulwer-Lytton: The Coming Race (1871)
In this pioneering work of Britis..."

Some backstory to the Coming Race: many of the Nazis actually believed that the Vril race was real.

I didn't realize it was on the list. If so, I second this one. I actually have a copy at home.

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Dang! Can't believe I missed the vote. I will be reading next month, though.

message 15: by Kaycie (new)

Let's nominate The Coming Race for next time, then!

message 16: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 231 comments "Wait 'til next time!" (although it lost in a landslide).

Ah, well. Turnout is key. :P