World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > So this happened today

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krazykiwi (last edited Jun 01, 2017 11:12AM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 193 comments http://etunawebben.se/?p=35478
and http://www.ekuriren.se/eskilstuna/omr...

In brief translation: A truck was stolen from central Eskilstuna[1] this morning, did a round trip through a couple of suburbs, ran down some (parked) bikes and hit several cars before being abandoned in a pizzeria parking lot[2], about three blocks down the main street (Kungsgatan) from the city center square where there is currently an international food festival going on. After the truck containing a (failed) bomb being driven into a department store in central Stockholm[3] a few weeks back, the police cordoned off several streets around it, and waited for the bomb squad to get here from Stockholm.

[1] Eskilstuna is a middling-big central Swedish city, about 3 hours west of Stockholm. It's extremely multicultural for a Swedish city, and has lots of ethnic diversity. It has a little higher crime rate than Stockholm, but it's generally pretty peaceful.
[2] I walk past that pizzeria on my way to work and home, twice every day. I work a couple of hundred meters further up Kungsgatan. At 4p.m. when I was on my way home, it was still cordoned off and I had to make a huge detour around. There were police everywhere too, including a heavy presence at the food festival.
[3] The truck attack in Stockholm was on a Friday. I'd met my adult daughter at that exact spot on the Tuesday for lunch. Right outside the department store, there's a small square and a lot of seating - which the truck plowed right through. It is (or used to be) a great place to meet people, since it's central, easy to find, and a comfy place to wait.

As an aside, I sometimes wonder if I and my family are jinxed, or extraordinarily lucky. My then husband was in London headed to the Docklands the day they were bombed, although he was still on the tube at the time. He was in Brussels on 9/11, and spent the day on security lockdown inside the EU buildings, unable to phone to say he was ok because they shut down the phones, until he eventually quite literally climbed a fence to get out and call home. He was supposed to be on a plane to NY, but plans had changed and he hadn't had a chance to let me know yet. I spent the day huddled in a Swiss apartment, trying to make sense of the German news channels (I don't speak German very well, certainly not excited and fairly freaked out newsreader Swiss-German.)

I guess I don't really have a point to this post, other than it's scary as hell when crap is happening on my doorstep, almost literally, and I don't really know how to think about it. It's easy to toss around opinions when it's far away, and I'm not blaming anyone for that, I certainly have done enough of it, but these past few weeks it's just been too close to home.

Somehow, I have deja vu. It feels like it's only a matter of time until someone close is really caught up in one of these events, and maybe we've just escaped by the skin of our teeth one too many times.

message 2: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments Wow, that is really scary :(. I'm glad you and your family are all right after all that!

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14912 comments A scary incident, no doubt. Glad that all are well and safe! As I understand the driver is at large and the motives are unclear?
The reality is such that anything can happen anywhere be it at Bali resort, Madrid train, concert in Paris or Manchester, anywhere.. Sometimes it's really close, most of the times elsewhere.
Obviously, targets are popular and crowded places. The purpose is to instill fear and sow terror, so the best thing is not to succumb (not that easy at all) and continue with life as usual... The calls were close, but I believe it's just a coincidence .
To effectively curtail these attacks, a lot of things are needed: from intelligence to routine procedures. Unfortunately, having adequate preparations might take time in Europe...
They say lightning never strikes the same place twice, so I hope you've exhausted those gruesome, near events.

message 4: by Neil (new)

Neil Carstairs | 53 comments One of the arguments in the UK at the moment is that our active participation in military actions in the Middle East brings terrorism to our shores (Iraq/Afghanistan/Syria) but I have no idea what part Sweden has played (maybe contribution of troops to ISAF in Afghanistan) that would make them a target for the kind of extremist terrorism that has hit other European nations in the last few years.

And I had no idea that a failed truck bomb had happened in Stockholm. Is Trump correct when he says that there are cover-ups on news of extremist attacks?

message 5: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 687 comments Happy to hear you're all right! Scary...

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14912 comments Neil, Spain and France might've been involved less than UK, yet they were not 'exempt'. There are a lot of injustices in the world, but nothing justifies these acts of terror. I believe it's ok to question the act of any country, but not sure whether to look for a share in blame that's clearly with terrorists is the same.
Of course, recognizing ISIS and leaving it alone is a safer option...

message 7: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 687 comments Nik wrote: "Of course, recognizing ISIS and leaving it alone is a safer option..."

Do you really believe this is a possibility Nik? Even if the West were to leave ISIS completely alone, these are radical terrorists who hate the West and would still hate the West. Logic has left them and the time to leave them be has passed as well.

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14912 comments I'm just being sarcastic, Eldon. Don't believe in peaceful coexistence with them for a minute

message 9: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 687 comments Nik wrote: "I'm just being sarcastic, Eldon. Don't believe in peaceful coexistence with them for a minute"

Right over my head lol

message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14912 comments Just my not- always -comprehensible dark humor -:)

message 11: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 193 comments Nik wrote: "A scary incident, no doubt. Glad that all are well and safe! As I understand the driver is at large and the motives are unclear?

That about sums it up. At this point, they haven't said if there was any bomb or anything, or just some drunken joyride, and really in the big scheme of things, it was more likely the latter. But just the fact that times demand a stolen truck and a joyride instils such fear and the extreme police reaction is scary enough anyway.

And you're probably right, coincidence and confirmation bias. There's been a lot of terror attacks between all those that nobody in my family was anywhere near, after all.

Neil wrote "but I have no idea what part Sweden has played (maybe contribution of troops to ISAF in Afghanistan) that would make them a target for the kind of extremist terrorism that has hit other European nations in the last few years."

Sweden's always been a contributor to peacekeeping forces, but I suspect it's because we took in a very large amount of the Syrian and Afghani refugees that arrived all across Europe in 2013-2014, many of whom were directly fleeing ISIS and whom ISIS considers undesirables, or traitors.

The truck bomb failed, but the guy drove down a sidewalk and killed several people, before planting the truck through the main entrance to a very popular department store, right into the perfume department. If the bomb had gone off too, the place would have been an instant inferno with all the volatiles right there. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/... is pretty good coverage of that. I'm not sure if "only" four people killed simply made it too small for the US news to care about? But the UK at least covered it widely in the mainstream media.

And to everyone else, thank you for the kind well wishes and just letting me vent about this. I kind of needed them this evening :)

message 12: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin I think that you deserve a stiff drink after all this, Krazykiwi.