Oakville Reads discussion

Anne of Green Gables > Question #1: Your reading experience

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So many of us have read Anne of Green Gables at some time in our lives. It's a beloved classic. What was your experience, and why do you think so many people find Anne to be such a special character?

message 2: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 51 comments I am sad to say I have never read it before, considering this to be true... but I am excited to get started :)

message 3: by Maureen (last edited Jun 02, 2017 05:46PM) (new)

Maureen B. | 212 comments Hi Dana, so many wonderful books out there and so many we have yet to read! ;-) I loved Anne as a young girl and pretty sure I read almost all of the series and yet, picking up the book again, there's so much I've forgotten.

I can't remember what it was that kept me reading as a child. I felt sorry for her, I remember, felt it an awful situation to have lost both parents and then to be rejected again by someone old enough to be her grandmother. And yet most of her problems were problems I had, problems with my teachers or my friends or the neighbours in our small village. Whatever it was that helped me identify so strongly with her had me rooting for her all the way.

Hope you enjoy, Dana!

message 4: by Susan (last edited Jun 08, 2017 05:57AM) (new)

Susan (susanopl) | 472 comments Mod
Like Dana, I read Anne of Green Gables as an adult. I think I was in my late twenties. I was entranced by Anne, loved her use of language, her escapades, and her relationship with Marilla and Matthew. I recall reading it one day on the subway with tears rolling down my cheeks, but there was plenty of laughter too. Anne is just so charming - I think that's my favourite word to describe her.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (arwen_kenobi) | 100 comments Mod
I think this may have been one of the first novels I ever read. I can't remember how old I was but my Mom had the entire series and I remember reading a children's version of it along side an old, unabridged copy that my Mom had when she was a girl. I've revisited it many times as a kid but not so much as an adult aside from the films. Curious to see how it feels reading it at this point in my life versus then!

Why is Anne so special though? She's so earnest and so just wonderfully authentic and smart. She's awkward, silly, gets into ridiculous situations, but she is still very much a young girl. She's immensely relatable no matter how old the novel gets. It also doesn't hurt that she's Canadian.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 116 comments Mod
I have actually never read Anne of Green Gables before, and to be honest, have never wanted to. There is something that has never appealed to me, or some aspect that I have never found relatable. To be fair though, I have also never been particularly fond of domestic, historical, children's stories. I shall try to be more open.

message 7: by Lena (new)

Lena The first time I read Anne I may have been 8, 9 or 10 years of age and she was truly the first hero to whom I could relate. I think her intelligence, spunk and ability to overcome anything that came her way made her as real to me as I was. Despite the timeline, she felt like a contemporary to me. I look forward to rereading this fine book. I will suggest it to my adult daughter as well.

message 8: by Allison (last edited Jun 05, 2017 01:52PM) (new)

Allison | 396 comments I love Anne so much! I first read the story as an adult -- as a read-aloud actually to my 8-year-old daughter. Of course, I knew the story well, probably because I had watched the TV movie/series starring Meagan Follows. I cannot emphasize enough just what a tremendous read-aloud this book is! I hope everyone here will share it with a daughter, niece or grand-daughter. I think it would have tremendous appeal to boys as well. I know that when I took my children to PEI for the first time and we saw the musical in Charlottetown, my then 7-year old son absolutely loved it.

Anne is special because she is feisty and precocious. To me, she is like a precursor to all of those spunky girl protagonist stories children love these days. Despite her aloneness in the world, she embodies spirit, courage, determination and an earnestness which is hard not to admire. Anne is inspirational!

message 9: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Valevicius | 81 comments Hi everyone
Not reading Anne -( everything else under the sun) sorry-but just wanted to express how I enjoyed Allison's post about 'reading aloud' to her daughter. I have no little girls in my life, but can see what joy the Anne story might bring to an interested young listener. Lovely to hear this 👍

message 10: by Susan (new)

Ashley wrote: "I have actually never read Anne of Green Gables before, and to be honest, have never wanted to. There is something that has never appealed to me, or some aspect that I have never found relatable. T..."

Oh Ashley, I do hope you'll give Anne a try. I think you'll love her. She's so smart and has a way with language that will fill you with admiration and sometimes laughter. She has such scope for imagination!

message 11: by Susan (new)

Lena wrote: "The first time I read Anne I may have been 8, 9 or 10 years of age and she was truly the first hero to whom I could relate. I think her intelligence, spunk and ability to overcome anything that cam..."
Thanks for joining us, Lena! I hope you enjoy re-reading Anne as much as you did when you were a child.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Allison wrote: "I love Anne so much! I first read the story as an adult -- as a read-aloud actually to my 8-year-old daughter. Of course, I knew the story well, probably because I had watched the TV movie/series s..."

I agree that going to PEI can be even more special if you have special feelings for Anne. I enjoyed the musical, too, as well as touring Green Gables. My first glimpse of that red soil from the ferry was something I'll never forget!

message 13: by Susan (new)

Sylvia wrote: "Hi everyone
Not reading Anne -( everything else under the sun) sorry-but just wanted to express how I enjoyed Allison's post about 'reading aloud' to her daughter. I have no little girls in my lif..."

I agree, Sylvia. I love to hear about parents reading to their children. I have two sons, and reading to them before bed every night for many years was the best part of parenting. I have so many special memories of that time, and positive associations of the books we read together.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13 comments My first experience reading the book was with my oldest son. I felt a responsibility to make sure that he grew up with an appreciation of some of my favorite heroines. His first impression of Anne was what a "chatterbox" she was. I'm currently reading it again with my daughter. I never read it as a child but adored the miniseries growing up.

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison | 396 comments Sarah wrote: "My first experience reading the book was with my oldest son. I felt a responsibility to make sure that he grew up with an appreciation of some of my favorite heroines. His first impression of Anne ..."

Sarah, my son loved the way Anne told off Rachel Lynde and then Gilbert ... I didn't read him the story, but took him to the play ... he could not stop giggling whenever Anne did things like this. I think he could relate, because at 9 years old he didn't have much in the way of self control; he was pretty impulsive and emotional too.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13 comments Allison wrote: "Sarah wrote: "My first experience reading the book was with my oldest son. I felt a responsibility to make sure that he grew up with an appreciation of some of my favorite heroines. His first impre..."

I love watching this kind of story with them - we have watched the miniseries and I think seeing other kids make mistakes and then work through them and resolve them is helpful for them and, in the case of Anne's mistakes, entertaining as well!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13 comments Allison wrote: "I love Anne so much! I first read the story as an adult -- as a read-aloud actually to my 8-year-old daughter. Of course, I knew the story well, probably because I had watched the TV movie/series s..."

I love that you got to take your kids to PEI - when my kids found out we were moving to Canada that was one of the first things they asked - if we could go to Avonlea! A little far from here but hopefully we will get there one day...

message 18: by Susan (new)

Sarah wrote: "Allison wrote: "I love Anne so much! I first read the story as an adult -- as a read-aloud actually to my 8-year-old daughter. Of course, I knew the story well, probably because I had watched the T..."

Sarah, I love that your kids asked to go to Avonlea! Doesn't that show the power of stories and literature? I hope they get there someday!

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison | 396 comments Sarah wrote: "Allison wrote: "Sarah wrote: "My first experience reading the book was with my oldest son. I felt a responsibility to make sure that he grew up with an appreciation of some of my favorite heroines...."

I agree completely, Sarah, and I hope you do get to PEI one day soon!

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Patrick | 57 comments Mod
I can't remember the specific age that I read Anne of Green Gables. My reference to it is specifically tied to watching the series starring Megan Follows. I have just recently starting listening to the audiobook.

message 21: by Rocio (new)

Rocio (rociofarrell) | 64 comments Ann of Green Gables has a special place on my list of favourite books. I listened to it for the first time on a trip by car we took from San Jose, CA to Seattle. My son was probably only 7 and my daughter 4, and the four of us were glued listening to the audio book for hours. I love Anne's character, she is rebellious but at the same time so positive and sensible. The unique way she faces the hard times and the way she comes out of the difficulties are remarkable. I find this book very inspirational. We as a family oftentimes make reference to the book when we talk poeticalyy about something, remebering the way she describes the ponds, the scenery. We found it humoristic too, as when she is praying, which is somethin she had never done before she arrives at the house. The version of the audio book that we listened had very good interpretation of the characters which contributed to the whole great eperience. I am glad to have this book this month because it will give me the opportunity to read what everybody thinks about it.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Rocio wrote: "Ann of Green Gables has a special place on my list of favourite books. I listened to it for the first time on a trip by car we took from San Jose, CA to Seattle. My son was probably only 7 and my d..."
I love the story of your trip in the car, Rocio, listening to Anne of Green Gables. It's so wonderful when parts of a book become part of our family's shared language and experience. Anne's "poetical" talk is part of our fourth question, so I hope you'll join that discussion.