I Read Comic Books discussion

Wonder Woman: The True Amazon
This topic is about Wonder Woman
BotM Discussions > June BotM Discussion - Wonder Woman: The True Amazon

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate (kgskocelas) | 575 comments Mod
What did you think of Wonder Woman: The True Amazon? If you've read any other Wonder Woman books or seen her in TV/movies, how did it compare?

Tune in to the IRCB Podcast on Wednesday, June 28th to hear our discussion of this book. If it's ok to read your comments on the show, please include "OK TO AIR" in your post!

message 2: by Kate (last edited Jun 01, 2017 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

This book is on sale until 6/5 on Comixology for $5.99! Get it here.

John Maler | 2 comments Of all the retellings of Wonder Woman's origin (and there have been many) this one, to me, is the most poignant, emotional and relateable.
While some may think Thompson has Marvel-ized Diana's origin (Aletha = Diana's Uncle Ben), I feel that this version is more in line with the Greek mythology that makes up a huge part of Wonder Woman's background. There's more Aesop than Stan Lee in this tale.
Plus Thompson's art and her simple, straightforward narration gives this the feel of a children's tale, which helps make this a refreshing and unique take on the Diana's origins.
Also, did anyone feel like the scene of Diana helping Aletha in the stables was reminiscent of the courtship of Wesley and Buttercup in The Princess Bride, just in reverse?

Ok to Air

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen | 24 comments There was another review on Goodreads that I think summed up my feelings... I don't like the story. I'm not a fan of Diana being led into heroism via trauma that she caused. The actions also seemed repetitive; I don't have the book in front of me but I wonder how many panels it took to tell us that Diana is spoiled, selfish, and allowed to get away with anything?

I liked the art, thought it was neat and whimsical - more like a child's mythology or storybook than comic.

Ok to air

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen | 24 comments And this makes me really sad, as I'm someone who voted for this title. :/

Alex Decker | 20 comments Jen wrote: "There was another review on Goodreads that I think summed up my feelings... I don't like the story. I'm not a fan of Diana being led into heroism via trauma that she caused. The actions also seemed..."
Was she actually led to it though? She had already made the decision that she was going to use her gifts altruistically. The final scene seemed less as a "leading" scene, but as almost redundant.

But, yeah completely agree with the spoiled thing. We get it. She's spoiled.

Alex Decker | 20 comments I don't have a deep background in WW knowledge. I had recently read Vol 1 of Brian Azzarelo's telling of her story. It left me pretty meh about the whole thing, but most of the new 52 DC stuff was that way for me. So, I was excited to be able to come at her character with a different angle.

Jill Thompson's Wonder Woman does a good job of keeping close to the Greek mythology of her beginnings without being trapped by them. It seemed distinctly of that world without being married to continuing into that world. She was allowed to grow organically.

The artwork was fun for the most part. It was a cross between all the old artwork used in child versions of Greek stories and a comic book style. The coloring and lettering both accentuated the artwork and the writing and were pleasing to the eye.

Other have mentioned that the "spoiled Diana" bit wore on a bit long and I completely agree. It would have been nice to have that "other Diana" character that is mentioned as saving her so many times, demonstrated more. I would have liked to have seen her charming her way out of a big issue with someone other than her mother.

Another minor issue that I had was that I felt that Thompson's writing and artwork could skew a bit too unnaturally "comic booky" for my tastes. Some of the way that she presented the background characters were completely stereotypical and cliche.
Also, the rationale for the fighting in the beginning was confusing. One panel shows disgust at a gentlemans daughter joining the Amazons, but his thinking that she "ran-off" with them. Then the next panel he complains about men being captured and kept as concubines (which...come on....you're telling me that these men were upset because they were being kidnapped and being held as "breeding stock" which means that their only job was to eat and have sex and that somehow this isn't what they want?) Then the next panel has the King sending Herakles to fight them because they attempted to "kidnap" his daughter. It just didn't flow that well.

However, as far as I know WW I would consider this the creme de la creme of her stories. It was an enjoyable read even though my nitpicky brain wanted to cut things up from time to time. I'm unsure how it was presented, whether it was a month to month or was just a straight thing, but I can't imagine it being that great month to month. It is definitely a book that reads better if you just sit down and read it. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone wanting to get to know WW.

Okay to Air

Alex wrote: "I'm unsure how it was presented, whether it was a month to month or was just a straight thing, but I can't imagine it being that great month to month. It is definitely a book that reads better if you just sit down and read it. "

This is an original graphic novel (OGN), meaning it was originally published as one complete volume. I agree that they chose wisely. This would not have worked as a serialized series.

I agree completely with Jen. I wanted to like this book, but the only part I enjoyed was the art. The "Diana is spoiled" examples wore on and on, and I prefer more likable and nuanced versions of the character.

I also really disliked all the scenes where the narration literally just describes what is shown in the art on the page, like "Diana raced through the streets" on top of a picture of Diana racing through the streets. If you're going to describe everything in the text, why even have the art?

message 9: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel | 265 comments OK TO AIR...

I am very glad we read the book I recommended, I think the book although it has its faults, really gives us a great set up for redemption, I almost stopped reading the book after being beaten over the head with how bratty and spoiled Diana was, but it fit the story. Although the story is predictable i still enjoyed a retelling of the WW origin. I hadn't read much WW until very close to the release of the movie so to me this was just another version.
The art was very beautiful especially at the beginning with the exposition of the origin of the Amazons and the Gods, there is a splash page with Poseidon that blew my mind. It really fit the story

Overall i think its a good read especially if you want to get some more WW material.

message 10: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Salazar (sarabarbosa) | 13 comments It's the first book I read from WW, never caught my attention I guess. I enjoyed quite a lot, mostly because it shows a different narrative, less heroic I guess.

I do agreed with the critics of Jen, the spoiled part took a lot of time and with kate, it wouldn't be a good serialized series. But, has a OGN its very interesting, mostly because it can allow it self to be a bit more different.

I just have to point out the drawing of the book, it is mesmerizing, truly truly beautiful. The book is worth it alone by the drawings