21st Century Literature discussion

What to Read > July 2017 Wild Card Nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2565 comments Mod
Nominations are now open through June 7th for the July Wild Card! For newer members unfamiliar with the Wild Card, its purpose is to choose books that fall outside our usual rules by being more on the ‘genre’ side of things (e.g., sci-fi, fantasy, romances, westerns, graphic novels, etc.) but still of literary interest. More about the Wild Card can be found here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1711125-new-group-feature-wild-card-pick
Voting will start on the 8th, and the discussion will run July 15th-Aug 15th.

Please nominate books whose original and, if applicable, translated published dates fall between Jan. 2000 and July 2016.

If you are nominating a book, please begin your post by stating "I nominate [name w. hyperlink to book]". Happy nominating!

message 2: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2295 comments I nominate The Book on Fire by Keith Miller. It was first published in 2009. It is fantasy and about books. I read Miller's first book - The Book of Flying - and loved it. It was also fantasy and about a librarian. I've had The Book on Fire (about a book thief who goes to steal books from the great library at Alexander) on the shelf for a couple of years and would welcome a chance to read with all of you!

message 3: by Carol (last edited Jun 06, 2017 03:33AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 448 comments I nominate Drive by James Sallis.

message 4: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (nadinekc) | 405 comments LindaJ^ wrote: "I nominate The Book on Fire by Keith Miller. It was first published in 2009. It is fantasy and about books. I read Miller's first book - [book:The Book of Flying|126..."

This sounds wonderful! On my TBR, regardless!

message 5: by Marc (new)

Thanks for kicking off the nominations LindaJ^ and Carol!

I'll nominate City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer, which has lingered on my shelves for quite some time despite rave reviews from many of my GR friends.

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2464 comments I'll nominate one I just read, News of the World by Paulette Jiles. Western genre? It was a finalist for the National Book Award in 2016. Regardless of whether it is selected here, I can recommend it as a good vacation read. I picked it up at the library one day and by the next morning had its 209 pages read.

(See this review for a reader who says she read it again: . https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/bo.... Here is another who wishes the book were longer: http://www.washingtonindependentrevie...)

An interview with the author can be found here: http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2016.h...

Several of my f2f book club colleagues particularly enjoyed it, some of whom had been more so-so about Fates and Furies the previous month.

message 7: by Ernie (new)

Ernie (ewnichols) | 58 comments I'll nominate Red Rising by Pierce Brown.

It's been on my list for a while, and I've heard great things about it.

message 8: by Marc (new)

Thank you, Lily and Ernie, for your nominations. Shaping up with a nice variety of quality selections.

Only today and tomorrow left for anyone else who wants to get in a Wild Card nomination...

message 9: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (nadinekc) | 405 comments I'd like to nominate Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff, one of my favorite writers who's won a bunch of awards, but still seems to remain under the national reading radar. As an added plus, Lovecraft Country is going to be an HBO series, and the executive producer is......Jordan Peele! Not such a surprise though, since the book speaks to many of the themes in Peele's movie Get Out.

Here's an article that interviews Peele about it:

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/17/get-o...

message 10: by Marc (new)

Sounds quite promising, Nadine--thanks!

message 11: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2064 comments Mod
I was deciding between a couple different books to nominate, one of which was Lovecraft Country, so I'll just get behind that one.

message 12: by Danita L (new)

Danita L (ladygoshawke) | 9 comments I'd like to nominate All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders. It's been on my to-read list and was just listed as one of 6 finalists for Best Novel for the Hugo Award. And as soon as I figure out how to hyper-link the title, I will, lol

message 13: by Marc (new)

All the Birds in the Sky
The easiest way to link is to use the "add book/author" option just above the comment box you type within--clicking on that should allow you to search for the book you want and then you just hit the "Add" button. Note: You do NOT have this option if you're using the GR app. The GR app also does NOT show GR polls.

I bought a copy of this book for our son, but I'll probably read it before he does!

message 14: by Whitney (new)

Another one that's on my "read soon" list! (Also, it did recently win the Nebula.)

message 15: by Marc (new)

I'm not even sure I'm going to vote for my own nomination at this point!
:D

message 16: by Whitney (new)

I freakin' loved City of Saints and Madmen.

message 17: by Marc (new)

Too many great options...

message 19: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2295 comments Lily wrote: "I'll nominate one I just read, News of the World by Paulette Jiles. Western genre? It was a finalist for the National Book Award in 2016. Regardless of whether it is ..."

I loved News of the World - one of my top five books the year it was published - but seems to me it is literature - National Book Award finalists are hard for me to perceive as wild card fodder!

message 20: by Whitney (new)

Wild Card poll closes tonight. It's a close race, so get those last minute votes or vote changes in!

message 21: by Lily (last edited Jun 15, 2017 09:42PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2464 comments LindaJ^ wrote: "I loved News of the World - one of my top five books the year it was published - but seems to me it is literature - National Book Award finalists are hard for me to perceive as wild card fodder!"

I don't totally disagree with you, LindaJ. But it can be considered a Western, which is the view from which I nominated it. And one goal here is to identify good literature.

I understand why you considered it so highly. I am just amazing myself by re-reading it, which I seldom do for any book, at least without a gap of several years. It has so many lovely writing techniques embedded within that it is an inspiration of ideas to try to mimic. The language has a poetic quality about it. And the book is short; a quick read. I continue to encourage others to read it, albeit not as a part of this Wild Card read.

message 22: by Marc (new)

All the Birds in the Sky narrowly won this round of voting--thanks for all the great nominations and engaged voting!

DanitaL, Would you like to lead the discussion starting on July 15th?

message 23: by Whitney (new)

All the Birds in the Sky is currently available for $2.99 on Kindle:
https://www.amazon.com/All-Birds-Char...