SQHS Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2017 discussion

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
This topic is about The Sea of Monsters
The Sea of Monsters review (Dixon)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dixon (new)

Dixon Livingston | 9 comments “The Sea of Monsters” is the second book in the Percy jackson series by Rick Riordan . This book continues to follow Percy, Annabeth and Grover on their adventure as they search for the golden fleece. Like the first book this edition keeps things interesting, adding bits of humor here and there instead of keeping the tone of the story the same. Throughout the story the reader gets to learn more about Percy’s character and grow as he grows. Despite the obvious fact that the story is fictional all the characters are easy to relate to on some levels. The action scenes that take place during Percy’s journey are fantastic, couple that with the descriptive imagery and you have a story that truly pulls the reader in and does not let go until the bitter end.

The story contains multiple “real world scenarios” and can be enjoyed by kids and young adults alike by adding normal teenager problems to the mix of gods and monsters. “The Sea of Monsters” sports a good ratio of conversation and action, it's not just a blind killing fest and it's not a boring explanation heavy novel either instead choosing to provide background for actions without taking away from the action. Unlike far too many fantasies these days, it's not overlong, which means it doesn't sag in the middle, and won't intimidate new readers.

message 2: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Moore | 8 comments I've read the entire series and definitely recommend continuing, if you haven't already. Rick Riordan is easily one of my favorite authors and I would definitely recommend any of his books to anyone. He's also done a series with Egyptian gods which I thought was really well done.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Neyens | 7 comments I haven't read this series but everyone is telling me to try it. Sounds interesting.

message 4: by Damian (new)

Damian | 9 comments I've only read the first book in this series, not sure why I stopped. But this book sounds interesting enough that I might read the rest of the series at some point.