Historical Fictionistas discussion

Historical Fiction Discussions > Changing POV during a Historical Fiction series

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Atkinson | 13 comments Hey guys,

Basically, how would you feel about a series changing POV in between the first and second book of a series? The character in focus would remain the same but it shifts from first person to third person.

The first book could be told by the main character to another and now the rest of the series looks to the future and maybe that comes with a change of POV? Think like Homer's change between first and third person for Odysseus only longer in scale.

Would that be something you could accept or would it not bother you? Providing, of course, that the style and tone remains consistent.

Thanks,
Tom.

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 598 comments I think that would be interesting! A first-person POV has immediacy but limitations of perspective. Having a narrator allows a wider lens on the action, more richness of detail. So in the establishing book a first-person POV would let you into the vestibule, so to speak, and then subsequent books could take you right the way into the family room.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 46 comments I second what Abigail said! It sounds really interesting!

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 99 comments And I third it.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Atkinson | 13 comments Okay, thanks for the responses! I had read many people before complaining about POV changes but I guess it all depends on the execution.

message 6: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
I can't recall reading any HF series with changing 1st/3rd POV, but I've read a couple of fantasy series that have done it and for me, it works when executed well. From the first book to the second it can be a little jarring if unexpected, but once I was settled into the story it didn't matter.

Some readers don't like first person at all, so you might get complaints from those types of readers. You can't please everybody though.

Hope it works out for you if you decide to give it a go!