SBTB Goodreads Group discussion

Book Talk > Currently Reading

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 207 comments Mod
What are you reading now? Are you loving it? Hating it?

Use this space for talking about your current reads!

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori (ladylothlorien) | 5 comments The Reluctant Highlander by Amanda Scott
I'm currently reading The Reluctant Highlander by Amanda Scott! I was fortunate to meet the author at the Scottish Festival in Orange County, CA last weekend and she signed a copy for me. I am such a big fan of her works; her books are historical romances always set in Scotland around the 14th/15th century. This one is turning out to be un-putdownable: I keep sneaking a few lines/pages in every moment I can.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Lori wrote: "The Reluctant Highlander by Amanda Scott
I'm currently reading The Reluctant Highlander by Amanda Scott! I was fortunate to meet the author at the Scottish Festival in Orange County, CA last w..."

A Scottish Festival?! That sounds awesome! And it's also cool they had a historical romance author there.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

I'm currently doing a backlist binge of the Maiden Lane series. Even though I'm not a huge historical romance reading, I'm enjoying it so far. I'm also listening to them on audio.

For physical books: I just finished White Hot by Ilona Andrews and I DON'T WANT THE SERIES TO END!

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori (ladylothlorien) | 5 comments Amanda wrote: "Lori wrote: "The Reluctant Highlander by Amanda Scott
I'm currently reading The Reluctant Highlander by Amanda Scott! I was fortunate to meet the author at the Scottish Festival in Orange Coun..."

Oh yes it's awesome! http://www.scottishfest.com/ I think there are others around the country too.

message 6: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Lori wrote: "The Reluctant Highlander by Amanda Scott
I'm currently reading The Reluctant Highlander by Amanda Scott! I was fortunate to meet the author at the Scottish Festival in Orange County, CA last w..."

Lori, sounds like something I'd enjoy! Adding to the to-read pile!

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori (ladylothlorien) | 5 comments M wrote: "Lori wrote: "The Reluctant Highlander by Amanda Scott
I'm currently reading The Reluctant Highlander by Amanda Scott! I was fortunate to meet the author at the Scottish Festival in Orange Coun..."

Yay! Happy to have contributed to your TBR pile. :-)

message 8: by Rachael (last edited Jun 03, 2017 02:41AM) (new)

Rachael | 1 comments An Extraordinary Union
I'm reading An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole after seeing it rec'd multiple times in multiple places. I resisted for a while because I'm not usually a historical reader, but I love this one so far!

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Rachael wrote: "An Extraordinary Union
I'm reading An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole after seeing it rec'd multiple times in multiple places. I resisted for a while because I'm not usually a hi..."

That was our Book Club pick for April! Alyssa Cole was able to join us for the chat and it was so informative and awesome. Glad you're enjoying it!

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments Just finished Lorelei James' That You Need. Starting the new Julia Quinn.

message 11: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 3 comments I recently finished The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson (which I heard about on SBTB), and I *adored* it. I put the rest of her stuff on hold from the library immediately. I also just started The India Fan by Victoria Holt.

I'm finding these older romances to be really comforting right now. If anyone has any recs in a similar vein, I'm all ears!

Then again, I'm also looking forward to Dating You, Hating You by Christina Lauren, which comes out next week.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Leanne wrote: "I recently finished The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson (which I heard about on SBTB), and I *adored* it. I put the rest of her stuff on hold from the library immediately. I also just started The Indi..."

OH! Leanne, do let me know what you think of Dating You/Hating You! I personally loved it and think it might be my favorite CLo book so far.

message 13: by Helen aka (last edited Jun 03, 2017 03:33PM) (new)

Helen aka * Monster's Mommy * | 3 comments Stardust of Yesterday (de Piaget, #9; de Paiget/MacLeod, #1) by Lynn Kurland

I'm going through the Macleods/de Piagets ... you might enjoy those, Leanne .... the only problem is the order is confusing ....

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (cerestheories) I usually have a paper, an ebook, and an audio going at the same time... so right now I'm reading The Day of the Duchess, by Sarah MacLean, The Untamed MacKenzie, by Jennifer Ashley, and A Court of Mist and Fury, by Sarah J Maas.

message 15: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 7 comments It's not strictly a romance, but I'm listening to the audiobook of Crocodile on the Sandbank.

I've read it many, many times, and it never gets old. I just love Amelia and Emerson!

message 16: by Flor (new)

Flor | 3 comments I am halfway through the new Julia Quinn book, The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband. She is always a fun read for me.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments Suzanne wrote: "I usually have a paper, an ebook, and an audio going at the same time... so right now I'm reading The Day of the Duchess, by Sarah MacLean, The Untamed MacKenzie, by Jennifer Ashley, and A Court of..."

That'd exactly how I read also.

message 18: by Amanda (new)

I'm completely surprised by how much I'm enjoying The Lost Vampire.

Middle Eastern vampire hero trying to find his mate. Fae heroine who can steal souls. You first meet her when she cuts off the pinky of a werewolf.

I'm new to the series, so some of the terminology is confusing, but nothing a cursory Google can't fix.

message 19: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments I've just finished "And Then He Kissed Her" by Laura Lee Guhrke. It was delightful! I cannot believe I had never heard of this author, especially since she's been writing since the 90s.

Anyway, it was pretty close to perfect... I'm going through her backlist right now... Before "And Then He Kissed Her," I read "Scandal of The Year," by the same author, and it was as nearly as satisfying as And Then He Kissed Her. Victorian and Edwardian settings, respectively.

My library has a bunch of her books so looking forward to catching up.

My other recent 'discover' -- again an author that has been around -- was Alissa Johnson. I read and enjoyed Nearly A Lady and An Unexpected Gentleman plus a few others.

And a note about libraries (and I may be the last person on earth to realize it), but I did interlibrary loans for the Alissa Johnson books and it was totally painless and very quick, at least where I live. For some reason in the past I had shied away from interlibrary loans...

message 20: by Amanda (last edited Jun 11, 2017 02:00PM) (new)

Not a currently reading, but The Ripped Bodice has a summer reading challenge. Anyone else interested in doing it? I think I'm going to give it a shot.

message 21: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Amanda, I am considering and I have a bunch of historical-leaning recs for some of the categories!

message 22: by Amanda (new)

If anyone is interested, I can get a thread up so you can track the challenge and give recs!

Also, I plan on putting a post together for SBTB about the challenge and with recommendations,

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (tearainread) Currently working my way through An Encounter at Hyde Park, an anthology from various self published authors (Regency era) and His Very Own Girl by Carrie Lofty (WWII era).

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori (ladylothlorien) | 5 comments Amanda wrote: "Not a currently reading, but The Ripped Bodice has a summer reading challenge. Anyone else interested in doing it? I think I'm going to give it a shot."

I'm in! I just printed their bingo card last night and I'd love some recs for the categories.

message 25: by Cassandra (last edited Jun 12, 2017 08:35AM) (new)

Cassandra | 2 comments Just finished the two books in Ilona Andrews Hidden Legacy series: Burn for Me and White Hot The third book, Wildfire releases at the end of July. They are not easily categorized, but paranormal, UF, romance?

Feudal and fueding Houses of magic users set in an AU Houston with a slow burn romantic element. Very addictive series that I hope continues through more books.

Also read my way through Penny Reid's Knitting in the City series including the latest one, Dating-ish (which I think was one of her best).

I'm looking for some historical romance recs with characters that are not completely modernized. Something like Cecilia Grant or Sherry Thomas. Any recs?

message 26: by Mclaudia (last edited Jun 12, 2017 08:59AM) (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Cassandra wrote: "Just finished the two books in Ilona Andrews Hidden Legacy series: Burn for Me and White Hot The third book, Wildfire releases at the end of July. Th..."
Cassandra, I love Cecilia Grant and it's a toss-up between A Lady Awakened and A Gentleman Undone as far as being my favorite. I really like Sherry Thomas' Private Arrangements and Not Quite a Husband. Not Quite a Husband is probably my favorite of hers given the unusual setting (modern-day Afghanistan-Pakistan border) and heroine (a doctor back in the 1890s) but I've got to warn you that there's a little bit of crazysauce in that one (hero is battling a fever, heroine 'has her way' with him and he doesn't quite realize it).
My other rec would be any book by Erin Satie, Elizabeth Kingston, and Rose Lerner --- they really do their research.

message 27: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 2 comments Not Quite a Husband is my favorite Thomas too, the twist halfway through really sold it for me and I love the road trip vibe.

I have some Rose Lerner on my to read shelf, but the other two authors are new to me. Will check them out, thank you!

message 28: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Cassandra wrote: "Not Quite a Husband is my favorite Thomas too, the twist halfway through really sold it for me and I love the road trip vibe.

I have some Rose Lerner on my to read shelf, but the other two authors..."

The King's Man by E. Kingston and Erin Satie's The Young Blood are favorites, and bonus point: TYB has some road trip vibe to it.

message 29: by Cat (new)

Cat | 26 comments My other recent 'discover' -- again an author that has been around -- was Alissa Johnson. I read and enjoyed Nearly A Lady and An Unexpected Gentleman plus a few others.
@Mclaudia I luuuurrrvvvve Alissa Johnson! Practically Wicked is actually my favorite of that trilogy, and I'm looking forward to re-reading a different series A Talent for Trickery and A Gift for Guile before reading A Dangerous Deceit which recently came out.

Alissa Johnson and Susanne Lord (alas, she has only two books right now) and Kelly Bowen are helping fill the Courtney-Milan-and-Cecilia-Grant-shaped hole in my heart with their witty, intriguing, feminist, fresh takes on 19th-century historicals. @Cassandra you might enjoy some of their work, including Courtney Milan's Brothers Sinister series. But I'm not very good at noticing anachronisms except for deliberately fluffy things like Maya Rodale (e.g. Lady Bridget's Diary).

Another shout-out to White Hot, which I made sure to devour the day it came out. It made me so happy. Due to publishing shenanigans there was a huge wait between Burn for Me and this one, but Wildfire comes out in just a month or so, huzzah!

Finally, my currently-reading list is super-varied and eclectic because I'm slowly catching up on my Kindle. I have a slight addiction to free e-books and now have 1300 books on my Kindle, some of which I bought 3 or more years ago but never read. So I'm going through alphabetically (I'm on G in author last names) and "reading or weeding" (finishing the book or deleting from Kindle). I'm glad I'm doing it--I haven't deleted that many so far and I've enjoyed a number of the books I had never gotten around to! Not that this means I'm going to run out of TBR--I joined Goodreads at the beginning of the year and thanks especially to browsing Giveaways, I have 1600+ books I'm at least mildly interested in reading...

message 30: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Cat wrote: "My other recent 'discover' -- again an author that has been around -- was Alissa Johnson. I read and enjoyed Nearly A Lady and An Unexpected Gentleman plus a few others.
@Mclaudia I luuuurrrvvvve A..."

Omg you are in for a treat with the two new Alissa Johnson books! I snapped them up for 99c each a while back (the start of my AJ kick) and I'm hoping for some lull in work and family life to savor no. 3 which is getting great reviews!!

message 31: by Emily (last edited Jun 15, 2017 12:35AM) (new)

Emily | 2 comments Currently reading Outlander, The Witches: Salem. 1692, and Devil in Spring. I'm LOVING Outlander, though knowing that it's such a huge series is a bit daunting, but the sexy times...oh my god. The Witches is so creepy, so interesting, but I wish there was a chart with everyone's names and how they're connected- everyone is named Mather and it's confusing. Not sure yet how I feel about Devil in Spring- it has the houseparty in the country trope, which is definitely my catnip, and I love seeing how Evie and Sebastian are still so in love so many years later, but the book hasn't quite gripped me yet.

message 32: by Amanda (new)

I'm reading Under Her Skin by Adriana Anders and it's sooooo good. It's super dark and emotional, but oh my god. The hero is a bearded blacksmith with lots of beta qualities. The heroine is an abuse survivor. It's a slow burn and dear lord.

As soon as I finish it, I'm buying the next book. I (surprisingly) remember seeing the second book tucked away on a shelf at my local indie bookstore. Fingers crossed it's still there!

message 33: by D (new)

D (daronie) | 2 comments When it comes to my romance novel habits, I've usually stayed pretty loyal to the historical genre. Then, a few weeks ago I devoured Going Nowhere Fast by Kati Wilde, and proceeded to fall into a contemporary hole in my attempt to recreate the intensity of that book. Really, I just need to reread it because I loved it so much. So much chemistry, so much delicious angst.

I've been a bit haphazard in my approach, flying around any and all sub genres. Right now I'm reading The Undoing, and while I don't consider this 'romance' in the truest sense after reading the first book in the Call of Crows series, it's still a lot of fun.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

What's everyone reading this weekend? For those hitting the beach or a BBQ for the holiday, what books are you bringing with you?

message 35: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments I've waited for a lull to start Fair, Bright, and Terrible by Elizabeth Kingston. It's fantastic!!

message 36: by Mara (new)

Mara Rose | 5 comments I just finished Bec McMaster's new one - The Mech Who Loved Me, and I totally loved it! I love nearly all of her books, and I'm already anticipating her next installment!

Which makes me think that her books have completely skewed my expectations for the two books I'm currently reading. MelJean Brooks' Iron Duke and Tracy Anne Warren's Happily Bedded Bliss.

I was so excited for those two - but after the glow of McMaster, these other two books are falling *really* short. As in, their heroes are both Alpha assholes and their sexy times buildup feels more like harassment with threats of rape than hot tension. I think I'm about to DNF both of them, and I'm frustrated! I'm in need of some awesome Beta Heroes to get this anger at the Alpholes out of my system

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary (flmom1957) Love Bec McMaster's books!

message 38: by N. (new)

N. | 13 comments I'm getting back into Clive Barker's The Art Trilogy. But as for romance novels, I plan to go with the een menie mo approach to my book backlog.

I did pick up two of those three book collections of Nora Roberts novels. It would be nice to re-read Born in Fire when I have time.

message 39: by Jayne (last edited Aug 30, 2017 07:04AM) (new)

Jayne (jaynechanger) | 49 comments I just finished Amanda Bouchet's A Promise of Fire as part of the Read A Romance Book Challenge.
LOVED IT!! So glad I picked it (&the second book) up when SBTB announced it was on sale. Gotta find a way to fit book two into next month's reads.

message 40: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Ohh, I picked up A Promise of Fire a while ago too and haven't gotten to it yet! I will bump it up on my list - thanks Jayne!

message 41: by Jayne (new)

Jayne (jaynechanger) | 49 comments @Mara - our delightful Amanda just posted a list of 50 Beta Heroes at one of her other gigs. 50 Irresistible Beta Heroes

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Jayne wrote: "@Mara - our delightful Amanda just posted a list of 50 Beta Heroes at one of her other gigs. 50 Irresistible Beta Heroes"

Aw, Jayne! Thank you!

message 43: by N. (new)

N. | 13 comments Dissension

This title for the reading challenge. I figured that the black and orange/gold cover would fit for the second challenge well.