Entrepreneur Book Club discussion

General > Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin Kerby (justinkerby) | 29 comments Mod
Hey! I'm Justin and I've started Entrepreneur Book Club to push me to read at least 12 books a year that can help me in my business endeavors. I love reading business memoirs, historical fiction, science fiction, and anything dystopian.

I'm the co-founder of a marketing agency called Cave Social, we specialize in helping companies reach their target audience online. I also love to write, both on my personal and company blog and for various online publications like Fast Company and Adweek.

Look forward to reading along with you!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael | 1 comments Hey. Im Mike and im a software engineer that like to read about entrepreneurship. I really enjoy reading about marketing.

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave | 2 comments Hi, I'm Dave. I am 31 years old in the USA. My day job is in the finance department of a pretty big SaaS software company. What I'm really passionate about is the fitness studio I opened up with my wife. We have a very nice complementary set of skills - she likes to work out and I wanted to start a business.

I'm hoping to meet some folks in this group to bounce ideas and questions off of, as well as provide feedback to others in areas where I have a good deal of experience.

The best book I read last year was Total Recall, the Arnold Schwartzenager autobiography. What a beast!

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Green | 1 comments Hi everyone I'm Ben. I am in the early stages of building up an IT and business consulting firm. This is the first job I have felt such a strong passion for, so I really want to make it work and leave my current day job. The last book I read was Snow Crash.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Peters (jeffpeters) Hi, I'm Jeff. 29 years old living in DC and working in marketing. Grew up in an entrepreneurial family but have moved away after college. I still have the entrepreneurial spirit but haven't found that idea I want to pursue yet.

I mostly read sci-fi and fantasy but have been reading more business books lately. Trying to work through all the book recommendations from Tools for Titans. Best ones so far: 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing and Built to Sell.

Always interested in more book recommendations.

message 6: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Gullett | 1 comments Hi all, I'm Kyle. I am a 21 year old college student trying to get a jump-start on the entrepreneurial world after college. I'm an accounting major, but I'm going to chase my entrepreneurial dreams.

I am in the process of starting my first online project with my friend/business partner and figured this would be one of the best places possible to learn and ready myself for the journey that is life.

Can't wait to get started!

message 7: by Erwin (new)

Erwin | 2 comments Hi All, I am Erwin. I am 40 years old and I own a distribution company. I like to read generally all kind of business books. Self help and motivational books also.

I think this group will helps me a lot in pushing me to read more books.

Look forward to discussing the first book with you guys (it has been in my iTunes for years)

message 8: by Susan (last edited Jun 05, 2017 11:23AM) (new)

Susan Bin (yosb) | 1 comments Hi, all! I found this group on r/Entrepreneur, and I'm excited to try and do my best to be an active member of this group. I travel a lot because of what I do, so maintaining consistent in-person hobby meetings is pretty hard for me -- this seems like a perfect solution!

My name is Susan, I'm in my early 20s, and I'm a free-lance illustrator with my own art/design/merchandise/brand business. I have many eclectic hobbies -- won't bother listing them here, ha! Excited to share experiences and insight with all of you on our reading material!

message 9: by Jon (last edited Jun 04, 2017 07:27AM) (new)

Jon | 1 comments Hey everyone, my name is Jon - I'm a mid-20s entrepreneur and owner of multiple e-commerce ventures that sell through private, branded websites and on large marketplaces (Amazon, Etsy, Ebay). I also have a physical presence in China. I'm always on the lookout for new ventures and collaborations with others!

I read almost exclusively non-fiction. My favorite topics include evolutionary biology/psychology, WW2 history, and economics. My favorite author is Steven Pinker.

I look forward to getting to know and learning with you all!

message 10: by Gerben (new)

Gerben | 11 comments hi, I'm Gerben. I'm a 22 year old college student and soon-to-be entrepreneur. I study Applied Psychology in Belgium. Currently I'm defining 2 start-up ideas. The first being in the e-commerce and the second being a goodiebag-service with students as the focusgroup.

I like to read and talk a lot about entrepreneurship. If anybody wants to talk about business, I'm always up to it.

message 11: by Sheldon (new)

Sheldon (riscphree) | 1 comments Hey all, serial entrepreneur, I own a private equity company and my last venture was a sub box in the coffee area.

message 12: by Lars (new)

Lars | 1 comments Hey Folks,
I'm Lars. I have changed my career path from being a scientific writer in the field of renewable energy towards following my passion with audio engineering, recording studios and live music recordings. I love to read books about entrepreneurship, music and society. In fact I'm even writing a short book for my mother, where I give her an overview how to build a business around her passion ... . Let's see how that works out.

message 13: by Kyla (new)

Kyla (lealyk) Hey yo. I'm currently a Medical student looking to bridge the gap between medicine and entrepreneurship. Have absolutely 0 experience in this field, with no family background either. Graduated undergrad with a BS in Biotechnology.

Looking for inspiration from the more experienced.

message 14: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithreads) | 1 comments Hello people, I'm a network engineer in Washington. It's only a matter of time before I run out of excuses and start my own ... something :) I have a lot of great ideas but I don't follow through, or I linger on the wrong thing until its dead. So I am a work in progress but one day... I will take something mainstream.

message 15: by Angie (last edited Jun 09, 2017 02:27PM) (new)

Angie | 1 comments Hi all,

My name is Angie. I'm currently working as a project manager in the IT industry, I've always been very passionate about personal finance, business and investment. I'm writing a project management exam in August so won't have too much time to read books recommended here, but I look forward to joining everyone starting September!

message 16: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 2 comments Hey there,

I'm Chris, 21. I've studied audio production and worked as an audio engineer and technical producer, mainly in the electronic music scene and in TV/film/game.

I've started an e-commerce business with a friend just a few months ago. We've found a pretty cool niche and now I'd like to expand.

I didn't read books at all for a long time (from ~14-~19). As a kid, I used to read mostly fictional books, some biographies. Now I'm reading non-fiction only. My main topics at the moment are entrepreneurship, marketing, networking and (personal and company) finance and tax management.

Lars wrote: "...towards following my passion with audio engineering, recording studios and live mu..."

Glad to see I'm not the only sound guy here. :)

message 17: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Hulbert (ethanjhulbert) | 2 comments Hello everybody,

I'm posting my intro pretty late. My name is Ethan Hulbert, and I'm a professional marketing manager and business strategist operating out of Los Angeles, CA. I got into the field via technical SEO, and continued to broaden my expertise.

My personal story is pretty crazy - I went to school for nuclear engineering and nanoscience, have a degree in experimental film, was homeless for a while, used to be in the sex industry, bounced through some pretty bizarre jobs - but that crazy path has given me a lot of unique experience.

I read a few books a month and am looking forward to talking about some of them with all of you!

message 18: by Kenny (last edited Dec 10, 2017 09:22PM) (new)

Kenny Horna (kennyhorna) | 1 comments Hey there,

My name is Kenny, I'm 25 and a software engineer. Currently developing an startup with a colleague based in Perú, where I am from.

Started with fantasy and sci-fi books -hoping Patrick Rothfuss ends his trilogy one day- but at the moment, I am very interested in entrepreneurship books an also the ones that helps you to improve yourself.

In the last couple of months I've read some of the books that the club has already read, so I guess all of you have similar interests. I really hope you could share your thoughts about the books and also provide recommendations for new ones, I'll try to do the same.

message 19: by Justin (new)

Awesome nice to meet you Kenny! Thanks for joining!
-Justin

message 20: by Adam (new)

Adam Lean (adamlean) | 5 comments Hey everyone! My name is Adam Lean and I live in South Carolina. I am a former accountant turned small business owner. I own a business that helps other small business owners fix and grow their business.

I enjoy reading business strategy books, business inspirational-type books as well as business biographies. I am looking forward to connecting with everyone in this group!

message 21: by Viswanath (new)

Viswanath Nair (viswanathgnair) | 2 comments Greetings Everyone!
My name is Viswanath and I'am from the capital city of the God's Own Country (Trivandrum). I'am aspiring company secretary, specializing in Corporate laws.
Having few business ideas, I'am in pursuit of realizing the entrepreneurial dream.
Love reading self help books, business books and biographies.
I see this as an idea-sharing platform where people with similar ideas can communicate, share and help everyone along the way.
Feel free to drop in a message or reply. I would love to keep talking about business ideas and strategies. You can also reach me at facebook.com/viswanath.g.nair or
viswanathgnair@gmail.com

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_try) | 3 comments I'm Sarah, and after falling deep into a big black hole aka. my phone and endlessly scrolling through Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat etc. I had forgotten what I'm really passionate about. Entrepreneurship, architecture, design, becoming inspired, listening and learning.
I started my own business a couple of years ago, only to put it on hold while doing a bachelor of architecture.
I will be starting a master degree in Architecture, Strategic Design and Entrepreneurship this September, and to prepare myself, I wanted to put that phone away and read as many entrepreneurial books as I could.

message 23: by Brian (new)

Brian Delrosario (bdelrosa81) | 2 comments Heck, yeah. What's the first book or audio program you plan to start your re-inspiration?

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_try) | 3 comments Brian wrote: "Heck, yeah. What's the first book or audio program you plan to start your re-inspiration?" Hi Brian. I've started out with the one and only Mr. Timm Ferriss and his 4 hour work week. It's a pageturner. Do you have any recommendations?

message 25: by Brian (new)

Brian Delrosario (bdelrosa81) | 2 comments Hey, ma'am.

If it's about designing your week to accommodate your new habit, then that sounds like a good start. I haven't read that one, but I have read his "Tools of Titans" (2016) – it's a beast at over 600 pages.

My usual day consists of sleep (6 hrs), work (10 hrs), family (X hrs), and personal (Y hrs). Just by starting to measure, I think we all can make time for a new habit. I believe saying "I don't have time" really means "I don't really want it or care that much."

For a book after that one, I recommend, "You Are a Badass" by Jen Sincero, for motivation. It's quick. Easy narrative. About 244 pages.

message 26: by Viswanath (new)

Viswanath Nair (viswanathgnair) | 2 comments Sarah wrote: "Brian wrote: "Heck, yeah. What's the first book or audio program you plan to start your re-inspiration?" Hi Brian. I've started out with the one and only Mr. Timm Ferriss and his 4 hour work week. ..."

This will definitely help you. http://www.patrickbetdavid.com/top-10...
Do check out the youtube channel also.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_try) | 3 comments Viswanath wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Brian wrote: "Heck, yeah. What's the first book or audio program you plan to start your re-inspiration?" Hi Brian. I've started out with the one and only Mr. Timm Ferriss and his 4 ho..."

Hi Viswanath. Thanks so much for the link! Super helpful.

message 28: by Justin (new)

Sarah wrote: "Brian wrote: "Heck, yeah. What's the first book or audio program you plan to start your re-inspiration?" Hi Brian. I've started out with the one and only Mr. Timm Ferriss and his 4 hour work week. ..."

I loved Creativity Inc, Steal Like an Artist, and Shoe Dog are a few favorites. The 4HWW is a great place to start though.

message 29: by Olivier (new)

Olivier Goudreau | 2 comments Hello y'all! I'm a 23 year old Seattle based airline pilot and entrepreneur. My latest endeavor is to start my own flight school in the area. I recently moved back to the west coast after my last grand idea flopped.

I loved the idea of an e bookclub and in a subject I'm super passionate about. As I find myself in hotels quite often I found this to be a great use of my time. look forward to getting to know yall!

message 30: by Justin (new)

Olivier wrote: "Hello y'all! I'm a 23 year old Seattle based airline pilot and entrepreneur. My latest endeavor is to start my own flight school in the area. I recently moved back to the west coast after my last g..."

Welcome, Olivier! That sounds like an awesome endeavor - I would love to take to the skies myself someday. Quick question that I think the group can benefit from - What books have you read that encouraged/brought out your entrepreneurship the most?

message 31: by Olivier (new)

Olivier Goudreau | 2 comments Well I remember reading outlines when I was much younger, around the time it first came out. How to make friends and influence people as well as a biography of Ronald Reagn have made a big impression on me. Not done with Regan but I've got like 60 pages left, and as someone one wasn't alive to see his presidency, I thought was very enlightening.

message 32: by Zumri (new)

Zumri | 2 comments Hi All, This is Zumri here. I am a budding entrepreneur, who runs a consulting/service startup. Can anyone recommend me a book which speaks about consulting business marketing or business development. Thanks in advance

Peter (on semi-hiatus) (peterdonnelly) Hi everyone, my name is Peter and I'm based in Ireland. I'm currently on my third tech startup and each time it was a totally different experience, so I believe in keeping in touch with new strategies and ideas. I love reading and I always have a business book on the go. I have a pretty good library at home - wish I'd read half of them :).

Looking forward to sharing book recommendations and participating in discussions.

Peter (on semi-hiatus) (peterdonnelly) Zumri wrote: "Hi All, This is Zumri here. I am a budding entrepreneur, who runs a consulting/service startup. Can anyone recommend me a book which speaks about consulting business marketing or business developme..."

Zumri, a long time ago I picked up books specifically about marketing a consulting business and I can't say they provided anything interesting or insightful. Two books that I think you should read if you're working in a consultancy business (or any business), are Traction by Gabriel Weinburg and Become a Key Person of Influence by Daniel Priestley.

message 35: by Zumri (new)

Zumri | 2 comments Thanks a lot Peter. I appreciate it, I'll do read them