Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > July 2017 Techno-Thriller Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Jun 01, 2017 09:28AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4741 comments Mod
In the interest of time, I went ahead and picked the July theme. We will resume voting on themes in the subsequent months.

The July theme is Techno-Thriller. According to Google, a technothriller is defined as: a novel or movie in which the excitement of the plot depends in large part upon the descriptions of computers, weapons, software, military vehicles, or other machines.

So let's nominate some exciting technothriller action books to read in July.

(Please recall that we don't vote for books we've already read).

Here are the other considerations:

1. One nomination per group member. The books must be nominated with a Goodreads link by clicking on 'add book/author'. If a book does not have a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.
2. Books need to be readily available, ie, in print (able to buy new or in ebook format).
3. Books should have some degree of action/adventure content.
4. Past group reads are not eligible to be nominated again. The past group discussions remain open for members to comment. You may see the list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

5. Books must be either standalone or first in a series (or they may be later in a series if constructed to be read as a standalone).

Please feel free to include a blurb for the book so others know a little about the book, along with your Goodreads book link.

The poll will go up on June 8th.

message 2: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jun 01, 2017 11:57AM) (new)

Lisa P | 1984 comments Mod
I am going to nominate Influx by Daniel Suarez Influx by Daniel Suarez

Physicist Jon Grady and his team have discovered a device that can reflect gravity—a triumph that will revolutionize the field of physics and change the future. But instead of acclaim, Grady’s lab is locked down by a covert organization known as the Bureau of Technology Control.

The bureau’s mission: suppress the truth of sudden technological progress and prevent the social upheaval it would trigger. Because the future is already here. And it’s rewards are only for a select few.

When Grady refuses to join the BTC, he’s thrown into a nightmarish high-tech prison housing other doomed rebel intellects. Now, as the only hope to usher humanity out of its artificial dark age, Grady and his fellow prisoners must try to expose the secrets of an unimaginable enemy—one that wields a technological advantage half a century in the making.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2912 comments Mod
I'll go old school and nominate one of my all time favorites:

The Andromeda Strain
The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton

message 4: by Kieron (new)

Kieron I'm going down the same road as Mike and will nominate Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 813 comments I'll nominate Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson. An AI takes over the world & people fight back.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2912 comments Mod
So far I've read everything nominated...still like mine better though.

:)

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4741 comments Mod
The poll is up. It will close on June 15th.
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... via @goodreads