Gothic Fiction Read-along 2018 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Gothic Read-along 2017

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Hello. If anyone is still there :) I plan to run the readalong again this October so if anyone has any books they would like to nominate then please do so here. I won't set up a new group, but archive our chats from last year. I hope some of you will join me again.

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollyrlandis) | 14 comments As cliche as it is, Frankenstein might be a good one. I know it's one I haven't read since school and feel like my perception might be a little different nearly a decade later!

Wuthering Heights is also a great classic.

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollyrlandis) | 14 comments Oh and we could also drop in some poetry in place of short stories. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and anything by Poe comes to mind as soon as I think of Gothic poetry!

message 4: by Jenny (last edited Jun 14, 2017 04:18AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments
As cliche as it is, Frankenstein might be a good one. I know it's one I haven't read since school and feel like my perception might be a little different nearly a decade later!

Wuthering Heights is also a great classic.

I haven't read Frankenstein or Wuthering Heights!! So I'd be up for reading both of those. I'm also up for poetry rather than short stories. I'm excited already. I will do a little video on my YouTube channel soon to remind people it's happening and invite people to the group to get a few more suggestions.

I've recently bought a copy of "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson, but I was actually planning to wait till fall to read it.

I'd also be up for more Shirley Jackson! How exciting, thanks both!

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Hi all. I've put the books out to a vote on Twitter to try and drum up some interest. My tweet is here if you'd like to vote in the polls https://twitter.com/notestothemoon/st...

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Wuthering Heights is storming the poll so as long as you all agree to watch the Tom Hardy TV series with me I won't have a big old strop :P

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments So the Twitter gods have spoken and our books for the readalong this year are Wuthering Heights, The Loney, The Little Stranger and The Birds and Other Stories.

Tom Hardy at the ready!

message 8: by Jenny (last edited Aug 02, 2017 05:36AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments I just bought The Loney for 99p on the Kindle by the way! And Wuthering Heights is obviously free on there :)

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Would anybody be interested in a Skype chat about the books? This is how my book club run their chats and it works really well. This will be in addition to the ongoing discussion boards here on Goodreads.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments We just use the chat facility, no faces on camera required :P

message 11: by Cerys (new)

Cerys | 2 comments Jenny wrote: "We just use the chat facility, no faces on camera required :P"
Skype chat sounds fun!

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments I'll have to find some dates for us. Only problem is I'm based in the UK so the times may not work for everyone :S

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollyrlandis) | 14 comments I'm US-based but I have the Skype app on my phone and would be happy to jump in to chats when I can!

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Holly wrote: "I'm US-based but I have the Skype app on my phone and would be happy to jump in to chats when I can!"

What time zone are you in Holly? I can see if I can choose a suitable time. May not be able to promise anything though.

message 15: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollyrlandis) | 14 comments I'm on the East Coast so 5 hours behind the UK :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I almost missed this! I have been on a bit of a social media ban and only just getting back into the swing of things. Skype chat will be cool.

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Anna wrote: "I almost missed this! I have been on a bit of a social media ban and only just getting back into the swing of things. Skype chat will be cool."

Phew. Glad you didn't Anna!! I shall look at some good dates and times for Skype chats later today. Perhaps I'll do a doodle poll. Love a doodle poll :P

message 18: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Hi guys! Just to let you know, on Twitter, Penguin UK are running a poll to find the #ScariestNovel. I’ve just voted for my favourites. Check out their Twitter page if you have it. Round 3 is tomorrow afternoon.

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leigh wrote: "Hi guys! Just to let you know, on Twitter, Penguin UK are running a poll to find the #ScariestNovel. I’ve just voted for my favourites. Check out their Twitter page if you have it. Round 3 is tomor..."

Yes I saw this! I'm not sure some of their 'scary' books really count :P

message 20: by Leigh (new)

Leigh There were a number of gothic choices within the categories. 😊

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.