Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1)
This topic is about The Hunter
Group Reads Archive > June 2017 Random Read Group Read: The Hunter by Tom Wood *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4691 comments Mod
The Hunter is our June group read. Read and discuss.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4691 comments Mod
I am looking forward to reading this. I have had it on my tbr pile for a while.

message 3: by Lost Planet Airman (last edited Jun 01, 2017 09:32AM) (new)

Lost Planet Airman My library supplied a copy which is in the catalog as Tom Wood, but the jacket lists the title as The Killer, and the author as Tom Hinshelwood.

A book where even the author is under deep cover!
An über-thriller, perhaps?!?

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
Mike wrote: "My library supplied a copy which is in the catalog as Tom Wood, but the jacket lists the title as The Killer, and the author as Tom Hinshelwood.

A book where even the author is und..."

My copy is 'The Killer' by Tom Wood...Yes 'The Hunter' and The Killer are the same book. Also Tom Wood and Tom Hinshelwood are the same author. It seems there is quite the selection out there for his books. I found funny responses the these questions on his website as follows:

I read The Killer and loved it so I bought The Hunter. They’re the same book! Why did Tom trick us like a dastardly cad?
He didn’t. He doesn’t publish his books; he just writes them. But he has different publishers in different countries and they don’t always like the title he comes up with (actually, they NEVER do – Tom) and so sometimes they change the title to better suit their own market. This has always happened in publishing, but now we’re in the internet age and sites are naughty and sell multiple editions of the same book. Tom hates that people get caught out by this but there really isn’t anything he can do about it.

There’s a book titled The Killer by someone named Tom Hinshelwood. That wouldn’t happen to be…?
You’ve cracked the code. Well done. Tom was originally published with his very own long and unwieldy surname. Then the slick guys in sharp suits decided Wood was a whole lot catchier and his true identity was lost. He’s kind of like Victor in that regard.

Kieron I hope to start reading this in about a weeks time.

Magiccats | 280 comments Think I will start this one on the weekend.

Magiccats | 280 comments I am really enjoying this book. Tons of action / killing. Thanks to the member who nominated it. I hadn't heard of this author previously.

Kieron Straight into the action and a fast paced start. A few cringeworthy lines but so far so good.

message 9: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 3 stars

For those of us reading this series, I just thought I'd let you know that book 3 The Game is available for $1.99 for kindle right now.
Link Here

Kieron Up to chapter 24 (view spoiler)

Samuel  | 66 comments it's an awesome book.

message 12: by Kev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kev | 3 comments Just about to get started, looking forward to reading this book.

message 13: by Kev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kev | 3 comments Just finished reading, really enjoyed it. It reminds me off Day of the Jackal but think that's just due to the anonymity off Victor. Cant wait to get stuck into the rest of the books in this series.

message 14: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jun 13, 2017 08:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm about 50 pages in...non-stop action so far!

Samuel  | 66 comments Kev wrote: "Just finished reading, really enjoyed it. It reminds me off Day of the Jackal but think that's just due to the anonymity off Victor. Cant wait to get stuck into the rest of the books in this series."

Agreed Kev. In many ways, Victor is like the 21st century version of The Jackal. Utter professionalism, attention to detail and with whatever meddlesome scruples cut out. The perfect assassin who has the qualities needed to actually survive in the cruel world, while still being compelling and strangely admirable in how he goes about his work with meticulous precision.

Kieron Great action packed book. Interested to find out more about Victor and his adventures. I will definitely be continuing this series..

message 17: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jun 24, 2017 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm not quite finished reading this one yet, but thought I'd post some discussion questions for those that are. Feel free to answer as many or as few as you'd like. I always love to hear what others think of the book!

Discussion Questions

1. What three words would you use to describe this book?

2. Were you hooked right away or did it take you a while to get into the story?

3. What are your thoughts on Victor as an assassin?

4. What did you like/dislike about the action scenes in this book?Did you have a favorite?

5. Was this book surprising in any way, or too predictable?

6. Were you satisfied with the way the book ended?

7. If you could write one more chapter at the end of the book, what would you write?

8. If you could ask the author a question about the story, what would it be?

9. If you were making a movie of this book, who would you cast in the main roles?

10. Would you recommend this book to others?

11. What other books would you recommend to those who enjoyed reading this book?

Samuel  | 66 comments Lisa P wrote: "I'm not quite finished reading this one yet, but thought I'd post some discussion questions for those that are. Feel free to answer as many or as few as you'd like. I always love to hear what other..."

1) Cinematic, slick and intelligently written.

2) Took the bait on the first chapter. Was hooked on the second.

3) Best damn fictional killer in 21st century spy fiction from a technical standpoint. No meddlesome morals, no self righteous delusions, the man is honest about what he is and gets on the with job. Plus he's quite the snarky fellow.

4) Like about the action scenes? I liked the lot of them. Perhaps the worst one was the Paris apartment blast out with the RAID unit. A bit too easy in the denouncement of that particular scene.

5) I guess surprising in that Victor was a proper honest to God anti - hero. Many other anti - heroes these days are badly disguised dudley do - rights with guns. Victor is in a class of his own.

6) Satisfied? Yes.

7) The moment when Victor walks away from his conversation with the head of the CIA Russia Desk.

8) You can ask any questions to the author right here, because I'm running an Ask me anything interview with Tom Wood on my own group. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

9) Roles, roles. Victor - Keanu Reeves. Reed - Daniel Craig. Rebecca Summer - Scarlett Johansen. Roland Proctor - Kevin Spacey . Antonio Alvarez - Carlos Bernandez Sykes - Andrew Garfield

10) HELL YES!!!!!!

11) The rest of the series, Mark Greaney's Gray Man saga and the Greg Rucka Queen and country franchise.

Samuel  | 66 comments Anyone who wants to ask Tom Wood anything should come to my discussion group where we are running an ask me anything interview with the man himself. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Samuel  | 66 comments Samuel wrote: "Anyone who wants to ask Tom Wood anything should come to my discussion group where we are running an ask me anything interview with the man himself. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

The interview is still underway, but the clock is ticking.

Samuel  | 66 comments Samuel wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Anyone who wants to ask Tom Wood anything should come to my discussion group where we are running an ask me anything interview with the man himself. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/s..."

clock has stopped. AMA now concluded.

I am reading this on my kindle. I've gotten sucked in. Victor is something else. He doesn't play around.

Samuel  | 66 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) wrote: "I am reading this on my kindle. I've gotten sucked in. Victor is something else. He doesn't play around."

Indeed he doesn't. That distinct lack of chivalry gives him an edge. If we want a hero, we'd call Mitch Rapp, Scott Harvath or Courtland Gentry. If we want a person killed? We call Victor.

I'm tardy in posting my questions.

Discussion Questions

1. What three words would you use to describe this book? Unpredictable, compelling, fast-paced.

2. Were you hooked right away or did it take you a while to get into the story? I was intrigued and wanted to keep reading.

3. What are your thoughts on Victor as an assassin? He's an excellent assassin. Very scary guy to be in opposition to. He's unpredictable, which makes him very dangerous.

4. What did you like/dislike about the action scenes in this book?Did you have a favorite? I liked the action scenes. The one where the guy's blood was painting the wall was offputting. The scene where he beat up the Ukranian in the bar was pretty brutal. It reminded me of something Jack Reacher would do. I flinched when he killed cops. Overall, I loved the action scenes. They were very diverse and the author didn't rely on the same tricks in each one.

5. Was this book surprising in any way, or too predictable? It was very surprising. I couldn't predict was was going to happen. I liked that about it.

6. Were you satisfied with the way the book ended?
Mainly yes, but (view spoiler). I think the final fight scene was crazy and I wasn't sure Victor would survive. Since this is a series, I was wondering how he'd get out of it. The twist at the very end should make for some interesting moments in the next book.

7. If you could write one more chapter at the end of the book, what would you write? (view spoiler)

8. If you could ask the author a question about the story, what would it be? (view spoiler)

9. If you were making a movie of this book, who would you cast in the main roles? Good question. I kept thinking of Rebecca Hall as Rebecca, and I would either cast Clive Standen or Barry Sloane as Victor.

10. Would you recommend this book to others? Yes (those who like antiheroes and assassins).

11. What other books would you recommend to those who enjoyed reading this book?
The Will Robie series by David Baldacci and possibly Joe Pike series by Robert Crais.

Great questions, Lisa!

Kieron wrote: "Up to chapter 24 [spoilers removed]"

LOL!