Flights of Fantasy discussion

Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
This topic is about Malice
Archived Group Reads > June 2017: Fantasy - Malice by John Gwynne

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Avoid my malice and mark < spoiler > all spoilers < /spoiler >...

message 2: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Definitely planning to read this.

But will be delayed.

1. Reading The Crimson Campaign first.
2. Summer Project aka "Hell Week" is June 10-15. So for that week I can kiss off any chance of reading progress and will likely fall asleep for a bit after it's over when I try to read.
3. Summer classes start Monday the 5th. Not expecting them to be too time consuming this time around, but I do need to consider it.

That said, I've been majorly looking forward to Malice for awhile. There's lots of buzz about it.

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 1 star

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I've gotten my library copy...

message 4: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - added it

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I really want to read this, but I'll probably be several months to a year late. Haha... At least I'm honest?

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 1 star

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dawn wrote: "I really want to read this, but I'll probably be several months to a year late. Haha... At least I'm honest?"

lol

I'm still at the very beginning, so

message 6: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - added it

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I'm still engrossed in my Hobb re-read and am only like 50% through the 2nd of 3 books. Until that's done I shall read nothing else!

Unless this has a good audiobook?

Angela | 41 comments I will be reading Malice later this month.

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 1 star

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm about 23% in. The POV changes every chapter. By page 66 I already had Evnis, Corban, Veradis, Cywen, and Kastell. Then more as the book has gone on.

You know what I HAVEN'T had? Action. Almost NOTHING has happened and its boring me to tears. There are things happening (mostly talking) that seem like they will be important in the future...but right now....nothing.

And this is supposed to be dark? IDK how much of it I'll get through.

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 1 star

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dawn wrote: "I'm still engrossed in my Hobb re-read and am only like 50% through the 2nd of 3 books. Until that's done I shall read nothing else!

Unless this has a good audiobook?"

There is an audio but IDK if it's good.

Angela | 41 comments I'm finally starting the June buddy read. A bit late.

message 11: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Better late than never...

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 1 star

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I am sad to admit that I DNF'd this one.

I heard Malice gets better after the 25% mark - and I DNF'd around 23%...but it was a library borrow (interloan) and had to be returned.

And I was bored. SO very bored.

Angela | 41 comments I'm at 16% and I don't mind the story. It is a bit predictable though, so will see if that changes.

message 14: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I was really hoping to get to this...Didn't expect to get addicted to the Powder Mage series though. And then there's school..

message 15: by Felina (new) - added it

Felina | 821 comments What are you in school for?

message 16: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Health information technology

message 17: by Felina (new) - added it

Felina | 821 comments That sounds intense.

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 1 star

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Felina wrote: "That sounds intense."

YES

O_O

message 19: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments It's not too bad. Medical coding is at the heart of where I'm going with it.

Angela | 41 comments At 64% and quite enjoying the book so far. It's still a bit predictable, but I'm liking the characters and curious to see how their stories unfold.

message 21: by Angela (last edited Jul 19, 2017 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 41 comments Finished. I rated the book 4/5. I thought the second half was very good and fast paced. Lots of action as the story built up to the end. I'm really curious to know what the next book has install and plan to read it in September. The point of view characters grew on me and the author made me care where their story was going. My favourite POV was Corban's and Kastrell's. (view spoiler)

message 22: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments It's possible that I'll start this in a week or so, but I have a couple of beta reads that might come up by then.

Angela | 41 comments Chris wrote: "It's possible that I'll start this in a week or so, but I have a couple of beta reads that might come up by then."

I hope you enjoy the book when you get to it Chris.