Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Bilingual editions or several languages in a same work

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (dpcossio) | 27 comments Dear all,

GR believes that books can only be written in a language. However, how to class books that are bilingual?

We can think on poems written by a same author in different languages, or the classical Greek and Latin works that appear with translation to another language in the opposite page or even an author that writes poems in a.language and publish them.with his/her own translation to another language.

Thanks.

Regards,

David.

message 2: by David (new)

David (dpcossio) | 27 comments for exemple, the followong book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 3: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 19984 comments In the drop down list for languages is an option "Multiple languages".
The actual languages can be added to the description.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments Bilingual books use "Multiple languages" for the language, then the specific languages go in the Edition field.

message 5: by David (new)

David (dpcossio) | 27 comments Thanks! I am happy and relieved to see it now :)

I would suggest to put the 'Multiple languages' option at the beginning of the menu, where the 'big ones' are.

I would also suggest to allow to click several languages OR to open small boxes in where to choose or write the specific languages?

D.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments You don't need to scroll down. Just type in the beginning letters and the system will take you to the right entry, or at least to the right section of the list.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6177 comments David wrote: "Thanks! I am happy and relieved to see it now :)

I would suggest to put the 'Multiple languages' option at the beginning of the menu, where the 'big ones' are.

+1 I hate the scrolling (even if you go directly to "m") and often just don't set it then

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments I don't see Multiple Languages often enough to justify asking the programmers to make this change. I've asked for Portuguese (Brazilian) to even make the list and we're still waiting.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6177 comments I thought of it not only because of the "how often did I need it part" (although I used it quite often in the last weeks) but because more of "could be on several places in the long list, no one will scroll through to look for it", I learned it through the forum too that's "multiple" and had it one day and thought of "hm which term will be used ... scroll a bit ... only see normal languages ... gave up".
Perhaps it's possible to set at least a tooltip which informs that "multiple" is the language you're looking for ..
My first thoughts were: different, various, several

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments There are languages in the list that I don't even know what they are. I wouldn't have a problem with there being an addition to the manual.

message 11: by David (new)

David (dpcossio) | 27 comments Elizabeth... More than a question of something being needed often or not, it is a question from accuracy. GR is a lot of things, primarily a catalogue. Although GR objectives or priorities may be now far away or thesr small things, I see that the search tools will be need to be further developped and improved. A lot of.petitions about search criteria start cumulating in the different fora (by award, by language, by country, ...)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments As I've said to you before, if you wish to change a feature, you need to state your case in the feedback group or write to support.

I don't see inaccuracy of Multiple Languages with the language information in the edition field. However, the explanation of the proper way to do this should appear in the manual.

message 13: by David (new)

David (dpcossio) | 27 comments I have just done that, Elizabeth, as I forgot to do it yesterday. In the other hand, I awake with a discussion in this forum that came out from my first question and further suggestions, I just continued with it.

message 14: by Mike Briggs (last edited Jun 05, 2017 03:00PM) (new)

Mike Briggs (mikebriggs) | 188 comments Lachgas wrote: "David wrote: "Thanks! I am happy and relieved to see it now :)

+1 I hate the scroll..."

If you type more than just M, it will continue searching. As in, if you type M-U . . .etc, it will take you immediately to Multiple (as in, type english or whatever and it will go immediately to English; type E and it might take you to something like Efik.) One of the things I noticed when I'll move the book to the correct language, accidentally hit a letter, and see that I've now accidentally chosen 'Eastern Frisian'. Typing eng pulls up English.