Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > August 2017 Revisit the Shelf Reread Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
Nominations are open for our August 2017 reread. Only books currently on our group bookshelf are eligible.

BOOKSHELF: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Below is a list of the past years reread winners.

Wuthering Heights, July 2017
Brave New World, June 2017
Lolita, May 2017
Emma, April 2017
The Scarlet Letter, March 2017
The Handmaid's Tale, February 2017
One Hundred Years of Solitude, January 2017
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, December 2016
The Picture of Dorian Gray, November 2016
Frankenstein, October 2016
We Have Always Lived in the Castle, September 2016
Pride and Prejudice, August 2016

Only one nomination or one second per member. Only books that are seconded will move forward to poll.

Time Since Last Read
All of the books currently on our bookshelf are eligible for nomination. However, many members have requested that only books not read in the last year should be eligible. I tend to agree, but I'm not ready to make it a firm rule. So using the honor system, please make an effort to only nominate books that have not been read by the group in the last year.

When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help others view the book selected.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and will run till the end of the month

message 2: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments I would like to nominate The Scarlet Pimpernel!

message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1920 comments Emerson wrote: "I would like to nominate The Scarlet Pimpernel!"
I'll second this!
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy

message 4: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments Thank you Darrling!

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments I'd like to finally read Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert ! I have an ultra cool special audio edition as well as the Kindle ebook (it is FREE, after all) and I have yet to kick my arse into gear and read/listen to it....--Jen from Quebec :0)

message 6: by Carol (new)

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 71 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "I'd like to finally read Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert ! I have an ultra cool special audio edition as well as the Kindle ebook (it is FREE, after all) and I have yet ..."

I'll second this

message 8: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments Carol wrote: "I'll nominate The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck."

This one is part of my bingo challenge this year, so I will second!

message 9: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 561 comments I'll nominate A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (last read by the group in 2013).

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3220 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "I'll nominate A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (last read by the group in 2013)."

I'll second this, it's part of at least one of my challenges

message 11: by Myst (new)

Myst | 173 comments I'd like to nominate The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain by Mark Twain.

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 588 comments I will nominate Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. It was first published in 1891, and we last read it in July 2013.

message 13: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments I nominate Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier published in 1925 and 320 pages.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Myst wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain by Mark Twain."

I'll second that.

message 15: by katie (new)

katie | 73 comments I nominate Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray. Last read by the group in 2011.

Thanks!

message 16: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier published in 1925 and 320 pages."

I'll second Jamaica Inn.

message 17: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2629 comments katie wrote: "I nominate Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray. Last read by the group in 2011.

Thanks!"

I'll second Vanity Fair since I started it years ago & never finished it!

message 18: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Renee wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I nominate Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier published in 1925 and 320 pages."

I'll second Jamaica Inn."

Thank you so much Renee! 😊

message 19: by Karin (new)

Karin Myst wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain by Mark Twain."

I'll second this one.

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1010 comments I'll science the woman in white

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1010 comments SECOND lol sorry

message 23: by Luella (new)

Luella | 5 comments Michele wrote: "SECOND lol sorry"

Thank you. You now got me thinking.

message 24: by Brina (new)

Brina I'd like to nominate The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

message 25: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments Brina wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Tenant of Wildfell Hall."

Seconded

message 26: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you so much, Zoe :-)

message 27: by Anetq (new)

Anetq | 327 comments I'd like to nominate Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (136 pages)

message 28: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Angie wrote: "I will nominate Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. It was first published in 1891, and we last read it in July 2013."

I'll second this.

message 29: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I'll third the Scarlet Pimpernel - I've been meaning to read it for ages ever since seeing the musical! :)

message 30: by Angie (new)

Angie | 588 comments Pink wrote: "Angie wrote: "I will nominate Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. It was first published in 1891, and we last read it in July 2013."

I'll second this."

Thanks!

message 31: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9560 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I'll nominate The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck."

I will second this one. It is time to read some more John Steinbeck.

message 32: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 561 comments Sue wrote: "Aprilleigh wrote: "I'll nominate A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (last read by the group in 2013)."

I'll second this, it's part of at least one of my challenges"

Same here, and I just bought a copy today :)

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I'll add my second to The Scarlet Pimpernel.

message 34: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) | 39 comments Could I nominate Don Quixote? Our group finished reading it Sept 2015.

message 35: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments I'd like to nominate The Hound of the Baskervilles

message 36: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) Anetq wrote: "I'd like to nominate Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (136 pages)"

I second this book

message 37: by Anetq (new)

Anetq | 327 comments Kristina wrote: "Anetq wrote: "I'd like to nominate Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (136 pages)"

I second this book"

Thanks Kristina!

message 38: by N. (new)

N. G. G. Ellis (ngge) Biblio wrote: "Could I nominate Don Quixote? Our group finished reading it Sept 2015."

I'll second Don Quixote.

message 39: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) | 39 comments Thanks Nate! I think it'll be a fun summer read!

Michaela (Journey into Books) I second Vanity Fair

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Dickinson I second Hound of the Baskervilles

message 42: by Brian (new)

Brian Jensen | 1 comments Huckleberry Finn also has my vote :)

message 43: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments Sue wrote: "Aprilleigh wrote: "I'll nominate A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (last read by the group in 2013)."

I'll second this, it's part of at least one of my challenges"

I third this...

message 44: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Jun 09, 2017 09:43AM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9560 comments Mod
Just an update on where we are with nominations so far (actually you do realize that I do this just so that someone will check my work):

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy, Group Read June 2011, Revisit March 2015: Nominated by Emerson, Seconded by Darren, Francisca, Carol

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, Group Read Sept. 2015: Nominated by Jennifer Lynn, Seconded by Karen

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, Group Read July 2014: Nominated by Carol, Seconded by Paula W, Katy

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, Group Read Aug. 2012, Revisit May 2013: Nominated by Aprilleigh, Seconded by Sue, siriusedward

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, Group Read April 2011, Revisit Aug. 2013: Nominated by Myst, Seconded by Sarah, Karin, Brian

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy, Group Read July 2013: Nominated by Angie, Seconded by Pink

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier, Group Read Aug. 2013: Nominated by Loretta, Seconded by Renee

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray, Group Read Sept/Oct 2011: Nominated by Katie, Seconded by Terris, Michaela's Journey

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, Group Read April 2013, Revisit Nov. 2014: Nominated by Luella, Seconded by Michele

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë, Group Read May 2013: Nominated by Brina, Seconded by Zoe

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Group Read March 2015: Nominated by Anetq, Seconded by Kristina

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Group Read 3rd Qtr 2015: Nominated by Biblio, Seconded by Nate

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle, Group Read March 2011: Nominated by Tonia, Seconded by Stephanie

Persuasion by Jane Austen, Group Read Aug. 2015: Nominated by Hailee, Seconded by Lena

Paradise Lost by John Milton, Group Read Dec. 2012: Nominated by Sarah, Seconded by Jeri

message 45: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1920 comments I have 8 of these on my "read soon" shelf, so hopefully I can back the winner in the poll!

message 46: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 365 comments I'd like to nominate Persuasion by Jane Austen

message 47: by Lena (new)

Lena | 336 comments I'll second persuasion.

message 48: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1920 comments 9 ;o)

message 49: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Darren wrote: "9 ;o)"

😜

message 50: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Katy wrote: "Just an update on where we are with nominations so far (actually you do realize that I do this just so that someone will check my work):

The Scarlet Pimpernel by [author:Emmuska Orcz..."

As far as I see Katy, it looks good to me.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.