Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
110 views
Archives Retired Folder Threads > August 2017 Short Story Nominations

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
August 2017 Short Story group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

BOOKSHELF: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. Only books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

4. Only one nomination or one second per member. Only books that are seconded will move forward to poll.

5. Nominator is responsible to insure that the edition nominated fits the above requirements.

6. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help others view the book selected.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month


message 3: by Ann (new)


message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie | 522 comments Ann wrote: "I nominate Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving."

I'll second Rip Van Winkle.


message 5: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments I nominate The Lady with the Little Dog by Anton Chekhov. I read somewhere that Nabokov thought of it as one of the best short stories ever written.


message 6: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 537 comments I'll nominate The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe - it came in second last month, so hopefully it will do well again.


message 9: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments I nominate A Worn Path by Eudora Welty published in 1941 and 32 pages.


message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments I nominate The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat First published 1937 in Persian/Farsi and 1957 in English. 108 pages.


message 11: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Nathalie wrote: "I nominate The Lady with the Little Dog by Anton Chekhov. I read somewhere that Nabokov thought of it as one of the best short stories ever written."

I'll second The Lady with the Little Dog. Been wanting to read something by Chekov for awhile now...


message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Nente wrote: "I nominate The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West."

I third it.


message 14: by Myst (new)

Myst | 173 comments Luella wrote: "The Castle of Otranto"

I'll second this.


message 15: by Solange (new)

Solange | 54 comments Hi! I'll nominate Satisfaction Guaranteed by Isaac Asimov published in 1951.


message 16: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments Karen wrote: "I nominate The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat First published 1937 in Persian/Farsi and 1957 in English. 108 pages."

Seconded


message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments Zoe wrote: "Karen wrote: "I nominate The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat First published 1937 in Persian/Farsi and 1957 in English. 108 pages."

Seconded"


Thank you very much Zoe


message 18: by Brina (new)

Brina I'll second A Worn Path.


message 19: by Anetq (new)

Anetq | 309 comments Oh, the Blind Owl sounds good Karen & Zoe!
But since it's already in the run, I'll second another on my TBR:

Emerson wrote: "I nominate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard!"


message 20: by Nente (new)

Nente | 774 comments Thanks Marylin and Carol.


message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Nente wrote: "Thanks Marylin and Carol."

You're very welcome, Nente!


message 22: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'd like to nominate Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville, published 1853, 64 pages.


message 23: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1826 comments Carol wrote: "Nente wrote: "I nominate The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West."

I third it."


I fourth it!


message 24: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Brina wrote: "I'll second A Worn Path."

Thanks Brina! 😊


message 25: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments Pink wrote: "I'd like to nominate Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville, published 1853, 64 pages."

I'll second that. Though "I would prefer not to" lol


message 26: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Michele wrote: "Pink wrote: "I'd like to nominate Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville, published 1853, 64 pages."

I'll second that. Though "I would prefer not to" lol"


Thanks. I'm guessing that's a line from the book!


message 27: by Karin (new)

Karin N.J. wrote: "I nominate The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry"

I'll second this.


message 28: by Luella (new)

Luella | 5 comments Myst wrote: "Luella wrote: "The Castle of Otranto"

I'll second this."


Thank you! :)


message 29: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Solange wrote: "Hi! I'll nominate Satisfaction Guaranteed by Isaac Asimov published in 1951."

I'll second this!


message 30: by Solange (new)

Solange | 54 comments Petrichor wrote: "Solange wrote: "Hi! I'll nominate Satisfaction Guaranteed by Isaac Asimov published in 1951."

I'll second this!"


Thank you :)


message 31: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 554 comments Emerson wrote: "I nominate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard!"

The group has been reading so much Shakespeare lately that I think everyone would enjoy this. I loved it!


message 32: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Paula W wrote: "Emerson wrote: "I nominate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard!"

The group has been reading so much Shakespeare lately that I think everyone would enjoy..."


We should nominate Hamlet for Old School and read this along with it! I want to read it, but I haven't read Hamlet since high school.


message 33: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3046 comments Renee wrote: "Paula W wrote: "Emerson wrote: "I nominate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard!"

The group has been reading so much Shakespeare lately that I think ever..."


I was going to second it because I love Tom Stoppard, but I haven't read Hamlet or seen a production of Hamlet (that I remember) and I'm not sure I could get to reading it before July. I did see the film Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead but as I remember, many of the jokes were lost on me.


message 34: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "I'll nominate The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe - it came in second last month, so hopefully it will do well again."

I'll second this :)


message 35: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Emerson wrote: "I nominate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard!"

I'll second this one. I've had it on my list for a while, and would like to read it.


message 36: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 537 comments Tonia wrote: "Aprilleigh wrote: "I'll nominate The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe - it came in second last month, so hopefully it will do well again."

I'll second this :)"


Thanks Tonia!


message 37: by George P. (new)

George P. | 522 comments I was going to nominate Salinger's A Perfect Day for Bananafish, but I'd rather read The Pit and the Pendulum first, so I'll hold off til next month!


message 38: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 537 comments George wrote: "I was going to nominate Salinger's A Perfect Day for Bananafish, but I'd rather read The Pit and the Pendulum first, so I'll hold off til next month!"

I remember reading that in high school as part of Nine Stories.


Michaela (Journey into Books) I second The Castle of Otranto


message 40: by Melanti (last edited Jun 12, 2017 09:17AM) (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Here's our list so far:

Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville, 1853, 64 pgs - Pink, Michele
The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat, 1937, 108 pgs - Karen, Zoe
The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole, 1764, 125 pgs - Luella, Myst, Michaela's Journey into Books, Sarah
The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry, 1905, 30 pgs - N.J., Karin
The Lady with the Little Dog by Anton Chekhov, 1899, 80 pgs - Nathalie, Susie
The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe, 1842, 56 pgs - Aprilleigh, Tonia
The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West, 1918, 82 pgs - Nente, Marilyn, Carol, Darren
Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving, 1819, 60 pgs - Ann, Angie
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard, 1966, 126 pgs - Emerson, Anetq, Renee
Satisfaction Guaranteed by Isaac Asimov, 1951, 15 pgs - Solange, Petrichor
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett, 1952, 109 pgs - Ina, Paula W
A Worn Path by Eudora Welty, 1941, 32 pgs - Loretta, Brina


At this point, it looks like everything has been seconded.


message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Luella wrote: "The Castle of Otranto"

I'll add another second for The Castle of Otranto.


message 42: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments Susie wrote: "Nathalie wrote: "I nominate The Lady with the Little Dog by Anton Chekhov. I read somewhere that Nabokov thought of it as one of the best short stories ever written...."

Thank you, Susie! It would be my first Chekhov aswell.


message 43: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 74 comments Please can I nominate Elizabeth and Her German Garden Elizabeth and Her German Garden by Elizabeth von Arnim byElizabeth von Arnim


message 44: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Wend wrote: "Please can I nominate Elizabeth and Her German Garden Elizabeth and Her German Garden by Elizabeth von Arnim byElizabeth von Arnim"

I'm sorry, Wend. It looks like most of the paper editions of that are over 130 pages so it doesn't qualify for this category. You could nominate it for Old School though.

Would you like to nominate or second something else for this category?


message 45: by maja (new)

maja | 41 comments My nomination is Waiting for Godot.


message 46: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 554 comments Ina wrote: "My nomination is Waiting for Godot."
I'll second this.


message 47: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Added.


message 48: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Nominations are now closed. 12 stories/novellas made it onto the poll this month.

Polls will open tomorrow and close at the end of the month.
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...


Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville, 1853, 64 pgs
The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat, 1937, 108 pgs
The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole, 1764, 125 pgs
The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry, 1905, 30 pgs
The Lady with the Little Dog by Anton Chekhov, 1899, 80 pgs
The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe, 1842, 56 pgs
The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West, 1918, 82 pgs
Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving, 1819, 60 pgs
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard, 1966, 126 pgs
Satisfaction Guaranteed by Isaac Asimov, 1951, 15 pgs
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett, 1952, 109 pgs
A Worn Path by Eudora Welty, 1941, 32 pgs


message 49: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
The winning book for our August Short Story read is The Pit and the Pendulum


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.