Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Epic Fail

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Well, I did not get my 2004 book finished for May. :( It was a great month for everything BUT reading: finals ended (thank goodness), graduations, graduation parties, visits from my mom....

I am still going to finish my book (The Plot Against America), which I am enjoying, but I am always slightly sad when I don't finish a book for PBT.

On the flip side, it was a GREAT month for audiobooks! I think I made it through like three!

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Don't feel bad, Nicole. I know I would be upset as well, but you had a lot going on judging by what you say... so I don't think you could have done any better, now could you? What matters most is that you're enjoying reading the book :)

message 3: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments Nicole R wrote: "On the flip side, it was a GREAT month for audiobooks! I think I made it through like three!"

Audio books work really well for me! Especially when my life gets super busy and I can't find time to read as much as I'd like. I have a daily commute that is just long enough to complete (usually) one disc of an audio book :)

I admire your dedication, Nicole. I work full time and took one college class last semester (not law school, just one regular undergrad class) and I felt like I was getting carried out to sea sometimes from the amount of busy it made me. So I signed up for two classes for fall - ha ha!

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Kimber wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "On the flip side, it was a GREAT month for audiobooks! I think I made it through like three!"

Audio books work really well for me! Especially when my life gets super busy and I ca..."

Kimber, what kind of classes are you taking? Hats off to you for working full time and taking classes! I totally know how that feels. And, honestly, law school is a lot of reading and then tons of studying at finals time, but in general it is not a lot of assignments/busy work as I know some undergrad classes can entail.

I typically take three classes a semester and it sometimes feels like too much, but I want to finish law school before I am 107! lol.

message 5: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments Nicole R wrote: "Kimber, what kind of classes are you taking? Hats off to you for working full time and taking classes! I totally know how that feels. "

I'm taking classes toward a Writing major (with business emphasis) that I may or may not ever finish. This was my first college class in 20 years. It was called Document Production & Design - I learned the basics of a design program called InDesign, and I can now design and print flyers, brochures, newsletters, business cards, etc. A very practical class!

The law firm I work for will reimburse me for any business-related classes (up to a certain amount per year), so I figure why not? I'd love to learn enough to be able to write grant proposals eventually for non-profit organizations, maybe even my own future non-profit org.

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments That sounds great, Kimber! I use InDesign at work but am not very good at it (another woman I work with takes lead on design aspects) but it is a great program and makes basic design easy.

Reimbursement for classes is a great perk! Did I know you worked at a law firm? I feel like we must have discussed this...what do you do there?

Oh, grant writing. Kudos for you for venturing down that path! Grant writing is one of my least favorite parts of my job--though getting grants is one of my favorite parts--and I would definitely be interested if you ever get that side business going ;)

message 7: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments Nicole R wrote: "Did I know you worked at a law firm? I feel like we must have discussed this...what do you do there?

Oh, grant writing. Kudos for you for venturing down that path! Grant writing is one of my least favorite parts of my job--though getting grants is one of my favorite parts--and I would definitely be interested if you ever get that side business going ;)"

Ha ha! "Oh, grant writing." That comment speaks volumes :) Honestly, my perception of it may be a little romanticized since I haven't actually done it. I'll let you know if my rose-colored glasses turn a darker shade after I actually have experience with it :)

I work at a large commercial law firm in Michigan (200+ attorneys), that I affectionately call Wolfram & Hart. I'm a paralegal that supports the Restructuring & Insolvency practice group. I also do some work with the Litigation practice group. I draft proofs of claim and simple pleadings, prepare documents, electronically file pleadings in federal court, review conflicts for new matters, docket dates, take care of billing, proofread, etc.

My dream is to someday leave all of that behind, move to the beautiful and somewhat remote Northern Michigan, and start a butterfly farm.

Do you know yet what type of law you would like to practice, or is the law degree something that would enhance your current career? I should probably already know this, but if you've shared it elsewhere I may have missed it.

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments A butterfly farm?!? That sounds lovely.

I am not 100% sure what I will do yet. Leaning toward corporate litigation or intellectual property stuff. But, I also am madly in love with constitutional law so we'll see.

message 9: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8012 comments Kimber wrote: "I work at a large commercial law firm in Michigan (200+ attorneys), that I affectionately call Wolfram & Hart...."

LOL! Ok, that made me laugh!

message 10: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6877 comments Your book looks fascinating. My son learned something about this in his history class this semester, and it shattered any sort of myths he had about the man as an aviator.

Let's see, you were studying for, taking, giving and grading finals, correct? Then graduation stuff (my eldest just graduated with her BS, so I know that a lot goes into those things--I scarcely remember mine now, but hers is fresh in my memory). Your mother. Work, life--I'm impressed that you got through 3 audiobooks; I suspect you made excellent use of time listening to them while doing other things.

So, you may have had an "epic fail" with the monthly shelf, but your month was not too shabby.

message 11: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Karin wrote: "So, you may have had an "epic fail" with the monthly shelf, but your month was not too shabby. "

Overall the month was not too shabby! And, I am still going to finish The Plot Against America. I am about 50% through and have nothing going on this weekend, unlike the last several weekends.

Though I also want to finish my latest audiobook and get started on my coming-of-age audio. *Sigh* so much reading, so little time.

message 12: by JoLene (last edited Jun 02, 2017 10:41PM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Well, I am also an epic fail, but I don't really have a good reason except that I really haven't felt like reading much. I did pick Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, which is a long book, that I've had on my TBR forever. I like it well enough, while reading it, but I am not anxious to pick it up.

Realizing this, I switched and started the audio of Peter and the Starcatchers. It's only about 8-9 hours and I still have about 1 hour left!! I normally average about 7 books a month and I think I finished 2. Heavy sigh!!

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Nicole R wrote: "Well, I did not get my 2004 book finished for May. :( It was a great month for everything BUT reading: finals ended (thank goodness), graduations, graduation parties, visits from my mom....

I am s..."

Congratulations on all those great happenings!! Sometimes it is just impossible to read. I am having a very tough time of it as of late. Hoping after I get my son into his new apartment on Monday, things will be looking up from a time management perspective.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8145 comments Isn't it interesting that it's the most dynamic women we know who end up reading the most. I love that we all have extremely full and busy lives, and yet still work hard to make sure we are every week falling in love with a good story.

message 15: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments Anita wrote: "Hoping after I get my son into his new apartment on Monday"

I read too quickly and it became "get my new son into his apartment". I was confused as to how your son could be new but still old enough to move XD

message 16: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8012 comments Ellie wrote: "Anita wrote: "Hoping after I get my son into his new apartment on Monday"

I read too quickly and it became "get my new son into his apartment". I was confused as to how your son could be new but s..."

LOL!