Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

My Cousin Rachel
This topic is about My Cousin Rachel
My Cousin Rachel > Week 3- Chapter 14-20

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlene Morris | 1145 comments Mod
Discussion for chapters 14 through 20.

Laurie It was plain to Louise that Rachel was seducing young, inexperienced Philip. When she let him in her room and she was dressed in her dressing gown after washing her hair, I kept thinking that no respectable lady would allow her unmarried male host to see her in that state except in an emergency. I'm sure her robe covered her completely, but it still seemed inappropriate.

Philip does not heed any of the warning signs such as his guardian telling him about her financial extravagance in the present and the past, Mr. Rainaldi telling him of her prior spending issues, and an unposted letter from Ambrose himself telling of her profligacy. So I think he's got what's coming to him since he was given every chance to make a smart choice. His complete inexperience with women put him at an enormous disadvantage, but he is simply being an idiot. I don't see this as a love-is-blind issue as it doesn't seem like an adult love to me. He seems like a schoolboy with his first crush. Trainwreck ahead.

message 3: by Charlene (last edited Jun 13, 2017 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laurie wrote: "It was plain to Louise that Rachel was seducing young, inexperienced Philip. When she let him in her room and she was dressed in her dressing gown after washing her hair, I kept thinking that no re..."

I know it isn't fair to blame the dead, but Ambrose did raise Phillip to be headstrong so of course he isn't going to listen to anybody. I do wonder if Mr. Rainaldi had warned Ambrose about Rachel's spending before they were married. We don't hear too much about the before Rachel and Ambrose were married.

If Phillip is making the same mistake as Ambrose?

Laurie I don't remember if Mr. Rainaldi told Philip about warning Ambrose or not. If Ambrose was as headstrong as Philip, he wouldn't have listened anyway. Philip seems to make the same mistake, only worse. He has been given information about Rachel and her spending habits by Ambrose who he knows and trusts and still ignores the signs. Ambrose didn't have that advantage.

I really believe that old Don's death is sort of Phillip cutting the ties with Ambrose.

Kathleen | 196 comments Charlene wrote: "I really believe that old Don's death is sort of Phillip cutting the ties with Ambrose."

What an interesting thought, Charlene. That scene really bugged me, because Phillip showed no emotion at all about his dog. He has just one obsession, and no room for anything else, I guess.

Laurie wrote: "Philip seems to make the same mistake, only worse."

He does, and there was a line at the beginning about how they disliked people, which could be the root of their problem?

"We were dreamers, both of us, unpractical, reserved, full of great theories never put to test, and, like all dreamers, asleep to the waking world. Disliking our fellow men, we craved affection; but shyness kept impulse dormant until the heart was touched.”