Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

My Cousin Rachel
This topic is about My Cousin Rachel
My Cousin Rachel > Week 2- Chap. 7-13

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlene Morris | 1110 comments Mod
Discussion for chapters 7 through 13.

message 2: by Laurie (last edited Jun 08, 2017 05:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laurie I am now on chapter 12 and I have noticed that cousin Rachel is always referred to with the full phrase of my cousin Rachel. She has not yet been just Rachel in conversation or any reference whatsoever when Philip talks about her. I did see that Ambrose mentioned her as Rachel in letters, but so far Philip has not. I wonder if that will continue throughout the novel and what is the significance of always using the descriptive term of cousin.

Kathleen | 193 comments I was guessing that she was referred to this way to emphasize the family relationship and de-emphasize the personal one that is developing?

I am really enjoying this so far. Philip is a jerk, but has had such a sheltered life that I feel kind of sorry for him. And Rachel--who knows! I happily don't know the story, so am finding the suspense delicious.

Du Maurier must have been a dog lover. I like the way the dogs find their way into the everyday scenes. Very realistic.

Laurie I like the references to the dogs too, especially old Don who makes himself a source of comfort when necessary.

I can see why everyone likes Rachel. She is witty and charming. Except for Louise who is automatically jealous of her, Rachel is a hit with absolutely everyone which is not the norm for beautiful women in most books. So if it weren't for chapter 1 where Philip ponders the guilt or innocence of Rachel, the reader would be completely unaware that there are dark clouds looming in Philip's future.

Charlene Morris | 1110 comments Mod
Kathleen wrote: "I was guessing that she was referred to this way to emphasize the family relationship and de-emphasize the personal one that is developing?

I am really enjoying this so far. Philip is a jerk, but ..."

I didn't think about trying to de-emphasize the growing personal relationship. I thought it was more about ownership and possessions. Phillip sees everything that Ambrose owned is now his. Why not cousin Rachel as well?

Renee M Hi, I'm new to the group. Just want to add that I love how realistic Philip is in his narrowness. I felt for him in his loss of Ambrose, but also wanted to smack him silly sometimes. He seems so young emotionally.