Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Clammed Up (Maine Clambake Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Clammed Up
Featured Series and Cozies > Maine Clambake by Barbara Ross

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nell | 2571 comments Mod
The featured series for June '17 is the Maine Clambake mysteries by Barbara Ross. Julia Snowden returns to Busman's Harbor, Maine to help run her family's clambake business. The first book in the series is Clammed Up.
Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1) by Barbara Ross

Other books in the series are:
Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2) by Barbara Ross Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #3) by Barbara Ross Fogged Inn (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #4) by Barbara Ross Iced Under (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #5) by Barbara Ross Stowed Away (A Maine Clambake Mystery #6) by Barbara Ross

Boiled Over
Musseled Out
Fogged Inn
Iced Under
Stowed Away - coming in Dec 2017

Discuss any book(s) in the series here.

message 2: by MadameZelda (new) - added it

MadameZelda | 614 comments I'll start with Book 1. It's a price I can afford.

Nell | 2571 comments Mod
I'm a fan of this series. I discovered it when the first novel was nominated for an Agatha award. It's one of the very few that I preorder. Here's a link to my review of Book 1, Clammed Up.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Julesy | 382 comments I've listened to the first 3 on audio. I'll be listening to #4 in the next month or so as a buddy read with my book friend. This is a great series and I love them. I'm happy to see that #5 will also be coming out in audio in August.

Tari (thann) | 105 comments I'm starting to collect it, plan on reading it soon. Glad the first one was on a good sale!

message 6: by Nell (last edited Jun 05, 2017 03:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nell | 2571 comments Mod
For those participating in the Take Me Out to the Ballgame challenge, books in this series will fit several categories. In addition to the bases depending on which book in the series you read:

Little League: The MC returns home to help the family business.

Professional: There is an established business.

Safe: Ratings over 3.5

Right field: Clammed Up and Fogged Inn were nominated for Agatha awards.

Center Field: MC returns to home town.

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (beachmeezer) | 7 comments This is a fun series. I love series set in Maine and this one does not disappoint. I've also recommended this series to several library patrons who have enjoyed it as well.

message 8: by MadameZelda (new) - added it

MadameZelda | 614 comments I've get to get on with book 1!

Mark Baker (carstairs38) | 673 comments This has become one of my favorite series. I found the first book very slow to get started. I was struggling even 100 pages into it. But then it took off and I haven't looked back yet.

message 10: by MadameZelda (new) - added it

MadameZelda | 614 comments Mark wrote: "This has become one of my favorite series. I found the first book very slow to get started. I was struggling even 100 pages into it. But then it took off and I haven't looked back yet."

That is good to know.

message 11: by Barb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barb | 668 comments I finished book #4 in this series a few days ago, and have to agree with the readers who think that the series gets better with every book :)

Fogged Inn (Maine Clambake #4), by Barbara Ross, finished 6/13 ★★★★
Fogged Inn (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #4) by Barbara Ross

message 12: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 130 comments I really enjoyed this book. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series. Especially after that ending!

Julesy | 382 comments Glad you liked the book, Karen. I'm looking forward to reading #5 soon.

Barbara Sousa | 439 comments Mark wrote: "This has become one of my favorite series. I found the first book very slow to get started. I was struggling even 100 pages into it. But then it took off and I haven't looked back yet."

Thank you for the encouragement. I've read 3 chapters of the first book, Clammed Up , and I am so tempted to stop. None of the characters are likeable (and most are not believable) and there are several data dumps of information about the clam business that really should have been sprinkled throughout the novel. All of you seem to really like this series, so I'll continue on for 100 pages in hopes the plot picks up and the exposition lessens.

message 15: by Lariela (new) - added it

Lariela | 9 comments Added this series to my TBR list. Waiting for book one from the library.

Kristie (kristiesbooknook) | 49 comments I finished Book 1 today and loved it!! I also thought it started off a bit slow but once I got halfway through the book, I couldn't read fast enough!! I will definitely continue this series.

message 17: by Barbara (last edited Jul 08, 2017 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara Sousa | 439 comments I finally finished Clammed Up today. Truthfully, if I had been a publisher, I never would have optioned this book without a heavy edit. The first few chapters did not hold my interest at all. However, I read on, based on all of your praises for the series. About halfway through the novel, it picked up and became much more interesting and the pages flew by. While I still think some of the characters and their actions were unbelievable and thrown in for effect, I actually am looking forward to reading the second in the series.