Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2017 > 20.10 Debut! (Elizabeth (Alaska)'s Task)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5911 comments 20.10 Debut! (Elizabeth (Alaska)'s Task)

Read the debut novel by an established author. An established author will have published at least three other book length titles (100+ pages). Non-novel forms may have been published before the debut novel.

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1339 comments If I am figuring correctly, Divergent by Veronica Roth will work for this task. She has written the rest of the trilogy Insurgent and Allegiant, as well as Carve the Mark

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments itpdx wrote: "If I am figuring correctly, Divergent by Veronica Roth will work for this task. She has written the rest of the trilogy Insurgent and [book:Allegian..."

I see nothing earlier.

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I'm glad I checked the help thread. I was reading this wayyyyy wrong and making things much harder for myself: I thought it had to be a debut novel by an ALREADY established author who had put out three or more non-novel works before writing a novel.

message 5: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 01, 2017 04:57PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Sam wrote: "I'm glad I checked the help thread. I was reading this wayyyyy wrong and making things much harder for myself: I thought it had to be a debut novel by an ALREADY established author who had put out ..."

When writing this task, I thought of Alice Munro, who has published title after title of short stories. But Munro has written only one novel, Lives of Girls and Women, obviously her debut (and to which I gave 5 stars, by the way). I thought it unfair to require other novels, or that the novel be the first published work.

message 6: by Tien (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:31PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2381 comments A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce doesn't actually work, does it?

According to his bibliography on Wikipedia, he's only published 3 novels including this one...?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Tien wrote: "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce doesn't actually work, doe it?

According to his bibliography on Wikipedia, he's only published 3 novels including t..."

He works. He has non-novel book length titles to make it at least three.

message 8: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2381 comments ooh, glad I asked! Thanks :)

message 9: by Beth (last edited Jun 01, 2017 08:04PM) (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1098 comments I found the following already on my tbr that seem to qualify
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
The Chosen by Chaim Potok
and I had also been wondering about Joyce :)

It's a very interesting task. Good idea.

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2336 comments The Bluest Eye works, right?

message 11: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1830 comments The first book by Australian (female) author Kate Forsyth is The Witches of Eileanan. Here's a link to her bibliography:
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?6648

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Beth wrote: "I found the following already on my tbr that seem to qualify
[book:The Chosen..."

Oooh! I had The Chosen on my list already, but now I really have to find where it is hiding, one of a couple of book not moved to the bedroom yet ...

message 13: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1501 comments I think A Discovery of Witches and How to Eat a Cupcake both work, correct?

message 14: by Bea (last edited Jun 02, 2017 03:52AM) (new)

Bea | 1501 comments Does Tom McNeal qualify? He has written three total books on his own (including the debut) but co-authored others with his wife.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Beth wrote: "I found the following already on my tbr that seem to qualify
[book:The Chosen..."

yes, these definitely work!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Deedee wrote: "The first book by Australian (female) author Kate Forsyth is The Witches of Eileanan. Here's a link to her bibliography:
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?6648"

yes - and thanks for the link!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Bea wrote: "I think A Discovery of Witches and How to Eat a Cupcake both work, correct?"

Yes, these work - and you've got a trilogy too!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Bea wrote: "Does Tom McNeal qualify? He has written three total books on his own (including the debut) but co-authored others with his wife."

Yes. I do want any co-author to be the first listed author for this, and he is on at least one of those titles.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Ed wrote: "The Bluest Eye works, right?"

Yes, indeed!

message 20: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1501 comments Thanks for the approvals, Elizabeth. I am listing more than one book for these tasks this time, in case my mood changes, as most tasks are taking some increased planning over my usual.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Bea wrote: "Thanks for the approvals, Elizabeth. I am listing more than one book for these tasks this time, in case my mood changes, as most tasks are taking some increased planning over my usual."

Completely understood. I already have 40 books on my spreadsheet in addition to my ACG. Only if I have another big season, will I get to more than 10 of them.

message 22: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4416 comments I want to recommend this site for searching out the debut novels:

https://www.fantasticfiction.com

I like it for this task because it lists the novels separately and in publication order. It doesn't work as well for more obscure classics authors, but most of the authors I have looked at have been there.

message 23: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 04, 2017 06:22PM) (new)

Rosemary | 2778 comments I'm reading the work of François Rabelais which is a series of five novels collectively known as "Gargantua and Pantagruel" but they were originally published separately in this order:

Pantagruel (1532) - generally printed as book 2

Gargantua (1534) - prequel, so generally printed as book 1, but written and published after Pantagruel

The Third Book of the Works of Mr. Francis Rabelais... (1546)

The first edition of the fourth book of the heroic deeds and sayings of the noble Pantagruel (1552) - first English print edition looks too short to claim

Gargantua and Pantagruel Volume 5 (1564)

There's more info about publication here (paragraph starting "Using the pseudonym..."): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3...

Am I OK to claim Pantagruel for this task?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Rosemary wrote: "I'm reading the work of François Rabelais which is a series of five novels collectively known as "Gargantua and Pantagruel" but they were originally published separately in this orde..."

Yes. (The usual caveat, please remind me when you post)

message 25: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4177 comments would All That I Am work for this task? She had a book published before this one but it was a collection of short stories

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Rebekah wrote: "would All That I Am work for this task? She had a book published before this one but it was a collection of short stories"

Yes, she has 3 other titles.

message 27: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4177 comments Great! So my self made task of trying to read as many Group Reads as possible is also going to help me complete a few of the challenge tasks!

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1098 comments I think The Salaryman's Wife is a debut, could you please confirm?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Beth wrote: "I think The Salaryman's Wife is a debut, could you please confirm?"

yes.

message 30: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2336 comments Could you verify that The Call of the Wild is London's debut novel please?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Ed wrote: "Could you verify that The Call of the Wild is London's debut novel please?"

Sorry, it appears his The Cruise of the Dazzler was his debut novel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Lo...

message 32: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2336 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ed wrote: "Could you verify that The Call of the Wild is London's debut novel please?"

Sorry, it appears his The Cruise of the Dazzler was his debut novel.

https://en.w..."

oooooooooh shoot! LOL hadn't noticed that one. Ok..that settles it...Call of the Wild goes back to its original intended position at 20.1

message 33: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments Requesting a ruling on City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer.

I believe this is his debut "novel" but it is hard to prove it. Looking at Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Va...
It notes this title as a "collection" but the first novel entries are the contents of the collection...also, the next two novel entries are books 2 and 3 in the Ambergris trilogy.

I'd count it...but I have certainly had my readings on things like this correted in the past.

message 34: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 16, 2017 09:45AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Gabriel wrote: "Requesting a ruling on City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer.

I believe this is his debut "novel" but it is hard to prove it. Looking at Wikipedia https://en.wi..."

Why are you asking such a hard question? ;-)

I started to answer no because there is another included story of over 100 pages that was published earlier. But on his site, he considers City of Saints to be a novel, and doesn't call it a collection - he also doesn't name the first included story in his own list of published novels. Perhaps it is like my own claim for a first novel that is a novel of inter-connected stories. I'll allow it. I see there are three books in the series, but I can't find anywhere that it is a completed series, so I think the trilogy combo is out. You're good for 10.2 and 10.6, combos though.

message 35: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Gabriel wrote: "Requesting a ruling on City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer.

I believe this is his debut "novel" but it is hard to prove it. Looking at Wikiped..."

Great! Thanks!

message 36: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments As far as I can see on the Goodreads author page The Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent is his debut, with a total of four novels published. Can you confirm this, please?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Louise Bro wrote: "As far as I can see on the Goodreads author page The Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent is his debut, with a total of four novels published. Can you conf..."

Yes, this appears to be his debut!

message 38: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Woohoo! Thank you.

message 39: by Anika (last edited Jun 22, 2017 10:40AM) (new)

Anika | 1803 comments I'm looking at reading Claribel Alegría for this task, but her first novel, Ashes of Izalco, is co-authored by her husband. Will that still work to fill this task?

(Side note: it is erroneously listed as being first published in 1987--perhaps the English translation was first published then, but the novel itself was first published in 1966)

message 40: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 22, 2017 02:33PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Anika wrote: "I'm looking at reading Claribel Alegría for this task, but her first novel, Ashes of Izalco, is co-authored by her husband. Will that still work to fill this task?

(S..."

I had to think long about this one. I would prefer that the debut not be a collaborative effort.

EDIT: But thanks for the pub date note - I fixed that and the original name in the GR record.

message 41: by Anika (new)

Anika | 1803 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Anika wrote: "I'm looking at reading Claribel Alegría for this task, but her first novel, Ashes of Izalco, is co-authored by her husband. Will that still work to fill ..."

Okey dokey...I had a feeling that would be the ruling, but I had to ask ;-) thanks for the speedy reply!

message 42: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 23, 2017 11:29AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Anika wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Anika wrote: "I'm looking at reading Claribel Alegría for this task, but her first novel, Ashes of Izalco, is co-authored by her husband. Wi..."

It does qualify for 10.7!

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1098 comments It is hard to tell on Goodreads, but on Wikipedia, The Mysterious Affair at Styles is noted as Agatha Christie's first book. Please okay.

Also, is this one I can get style points on? I know her books can be tricky.

Thanks in advance

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Beth wrote: "It is hard to tell on Goodreads, but on Wikipedia, The Mysterious Affair at Styles is noted as Agatha Christie's first book. Please okay.

Also, is this one I can get style points on? ..."

Yes as to first, and yes as to styles.

message 45: by Deedee (last edited Jul 15, 2017 04:34PM) (new)

Deedee | 1830 comments Bibliography: Zoe Wicomb

You Can't Get Lost in Cape Town (1987) (stories) (a series of connected short stories which are semi-autobiographical)

David's Story (2000) (novel)
Playing in the Light (2006) (novel)
The One That Got Away (2008) (stories)
October (2014) (novel)

So .... is the You Can't Get Lost in Cape Town the debut novel of Zoë Wicomb, or, is it David's Story? Thanks

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Deedee wrote: "Bibliography: Zoe Wicomb

You Can't Get Lost in Cape Town (1987) (stories) (a series of connected short stories which are semi-autobiographical)

David's Story (2000) (..."

Why are you asking such a hard question? ;-)

I'm inclined to say the 1987 book of inter-related stories is enough of the novel form to qualify for this task. I hope that is the one you were planning on reading.

And would you mind adding it to our list?
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...

message 47: by Karin (new)

Karin So it looks like The Outlander by Gil Adamson is a Debut Novel!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments Karin wrote: "So it looks like The Outlander by Gil Adamson is a Debut Novel!"

I think her Help Me, Jacques Cousteau is the one that would qualify for this task.

message 49: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin wrote: "So it looks like The Outlander by Gil Adamson is a Debut Novel!"

I think her Help Me, Jacques Cousteau is the one that would qualify for ..."

When I looked it up, this is the one that came up as her first novel. The one you mentioned is a book of short stories. Here is the link to my information from Harper Collins. https://www.harpercollins.com/cr-1050...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11713 comments They are inter-connected stories and my answer is the same as in #46 above.

« previous 1