EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

Wuthering Heights
This topic is about Wuthering Heights
UPCOMING READS > Wuthering Heights - Pre-read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kaseadillla | 1437 comments Mod
Hello all - starting up discussions for the JUNE 2017 BOTMs. This discussion is for the group's poll selection for the CLASSICS category: Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

This discussion will be SPOILER-FREE. If you have read the book and want to discuss, hop on over to the spoiler-filled discussion HERE .

Happy reading!
Kasey

Elena (elenaselge) | 26 comments I'll probably start this month's challenge with the modern classic, but I've got Wuthering Heights ready as well. Have never read it, but I know there's a lot of controversial reviews going around about it, so I'm definitely excited to see where I'll fall on the DESPISE-ADORE scale (as far as I've heard, it's either-or - you either love it or hate it, there's no inbetween).

Sarah | 799 comments I'm with you Elena! I've got both books sitting on my bedside table waiting. Gonna finish up my current read today then get to it! I'll be house sitting for someone starting tomorrow and I can't wait to use their hammock and covered patio to read. I'm also very curious about Wuthering Heights due to comments I've read in the group. I already love the cover of the edition I got!

Elena (elenaselge) | 26 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm with you Elena! I've got both books sitting on my bedside table waiting. Gonna finish up my current read today then get to it! I'll be house sitting for someone starting tomorrow and I can't wa..."

Oooh, which edition have you got??

Sarah | 799 comments Elena, I just added you as a friend so you can see! Didn't know how else to show you!

Elena (elenaselge) | 26 comments Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that edition before. It's gorgeous though. I've got the Penguin English Library one, myself. A local bookstore sells those for really cheap (like 4-5 euros each), so I couldn't help myself!

Sarah | 799 comments Cheap books are the best! I'm a sucker for them, that's why I've got a bookshelf of about 60 unread books waiting for me. It's fun having your own little library to choose from!

Sarah | 799 comments It was the only copy at the library and I had never seen it before either! I love when my current books are visually pleasant laying around the house lol

message 9: by Ben R (new) - added it

Ben R (br97) | 2 comments Fortunately, I bought Wuthering Heights a couple of days ago, so the timing of this BOTM is splendid! Looking forward to reading it - especially since so much great things have been said about it.

message 10: by STEPHEN (new)

STEPHEN MACPHERSON | 75 comments I buy almost all my books used, usually paperbacks. There are some great used book stores in my area of Pennsylvania. Right now, I'm attempting to sort the books I've read on this website into different "shelves." Many books are on more than one shelf. please feel free to browse if you would like.

message 11: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. I have been meaning to read this book for ages. This is the perfect chance. I have also heard that people either love it or despise it and there's rarely an in-between. I am wondering where I will fall on that spectrum myself! lol Hope you all have a pleasant June. Summertime is here!

message 12: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan Lee | 16 comments I also have heard that this is a love or hate kind of book. Interested to see where I fall on this spectrum as well. I heard much about it back when I was in high school 10 plus years ago but never did pick it up. Better late than never I guess!

Christine (clarkepopunta) | 122 comments Like y'all, I can't wait to see where I fall on the Wuthering Heights spectrum. I just hope we don't have characters that aren't likable. That's the one sure-fire way to lose my interest. But even that determination is subjective, isn't it?

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (lovejazz) I'm glad to hear I'm not alone is being curious where I fall on the spectrum of love or hate with this book. I have friends that read this book every year at least once. And how many movies involving writers use this as one of the books that brought about their love for reading. Than reviews that I've read have been very polarized. I'm definitely curious.

Sarah | 799 comments I'm midway through chapter 2. First page I was scared the language was going to lose me, but so far so good! I love the air of mystery so far and the odd characters! I also love the description of Wuthering Heights and the atmosphere around it.

message 16: by JK I'm Exploring (new)

JK I'm Exploring (jkimexploring) I started Wuthering Heights when I was just starting high school and it all went over my head. Then in college one of my professors told me the the ending, not realizing no one in the class had read it. So I guess I'll read it for myself now.
I'm really excited to read Book Thief though. It's been on my shelf for ages, I'm worried it won't live up to the hype.

Leesa Oh I'm excited for this one now! I have my mums old battered hardback copy that I think may have once had a dust jacket but is now just a faded blue colour.
I'm not sure about keeping books or passing them onto a new owner once they've been read. I only keep the ones I'll definitely re read (or ones that have pretty covers!) at the moment as my house is too small to be filled with books! I would love a beauty and the beast style library though one day!

I read this in high school and remember being so-so.... which goes against what most of you have said, that it's a love-hate book.

Wondering what the reread will be like. I feel like anything I read for class I hated even if I liked it. Haha

message 19: by D.L. (last edited Jun 01, 2017 01:38PM) (new) - added it

D.L. I would love a beauty and the beast style library though one day!

OMG me too, Leesa! lol But I'll be honest, I am about 1/10th of the way there. Between my mom and I, we have an insane number of books in our 2 bedroom condo. It's cray cray to be honest lol We usually give books when we're done to the local library for them to resale in the little used bookshop (it supports library programs like summer reading and such) but we end up attaining just as many as we get rid of, if not more!

Leesa That sounds brilliant! I love a used bookstore but that library programme sounds great too. Luckily I have a few good book shops close to where I live but I love going on holiday and finding new book stores too. Some of my best book buys have been souvenirs from places I've visited which means I could never get rid of them... and on grows the pile! Haha

Sarah | 799 comments After I read a book I either keep it if I loved it and want it in my collection, or I take it to a little free library! If you haven't heard of a little free library google it with your zip code and see if there are any near you! People put them in their yards (they look like large bird houses) so that people can take and leave books as they please!

message 22: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. Sarah wrote: "After I read a book I either keep it if I loved it and want it in my collection, or I take it to a little free library! If you haven't heard of a little free library google it with your zip code an..."

I just googled the little free library. That is probably the coolest thing this book nerd has ever seen! lol And there's one in my zipcode. Amazing. TY for telling us about it. Now I know what to do with some of my books I don't plan to re-read :)

Sarah | 799 comments Daph, I totally feel you, I was stoked when I learned they existed as well! Happy to share with others :) I looked into getting one for my yard, but they are surprisingly expensive!!

Leesa This sounds so great! None in my country though :( it's so wet here probably none of the books would survive anyway! Sigh...

Sarah | 799 comments I'm glad you posted that Leesa, I was curious about other countries having them!

Leesa Maybe I should start something and waterproof it up! Although in my area it would likely be either stolen or used as a bin! So maybe not...

Phillip J. O'Brien Wuthering Heights has been a book I've wanted to read for years. I've read the first chapter several times! Most people I meet have read it and loved it. I hope I do too!

message 28: by Roaa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Roaa (roaaexe) I can't wait to start reading this one, I am now regretting not buying the $5 copy that I saw a month ago. I hope it won't disappoint me.

message 29: by Lily (new)

Lily (i-nkspills) I got my copy today so I'm super excited. I am actually one of those that didn't read this in HS so.... I hope it's as amazing as everyone says.

Christine (clarkepopunta) | 122 comments Leesa wrote: "Maybe I should start something and waterproof it up! Although in my area it would likely be either stolen or used as a bin! So maybe not..."

I think you should start one and just make it realllllly garish so if anyone were to steal it, they'd have a hard job covering it up.

message 31: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. My copy is actually in the mail. I had a copy of my own before but couldn't find it for love or money so had to use a credit on PaperbackSwap to get another copy. I am excited for it to arrive so I can get reading!

Leesa Christine, yeah like with barbed wire around it, would look so pretty! Hehe

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Read this at College years ago. Remember struggling with Yorkshire dialect parts. Read for exam so it was harder just for that reason. Looking forward to re-reading. Think I will appreciate it more.

Caitlin Eaton-Robb Excited to try this one as it's my best friend's favorite book. I'm a little nervous since it's been a while since I read a classic and it's taking me a bit of time to get used to the writing style and older language - but the fact that there's a free version for kindle doesn't hurt!

message 35: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Jensen | 53 comments This book is insane and I love it. I think reading it for school would ruin it, though.

message 36: by ePat (new) - rated it 5 stars

ePat | 9 comments I started reading WH last night and got through the first two chapters. I have the Barnes and Noble edition on my ereader, and the servant Joseph - who has a thick Yorkshire dialect - his dialogue is footnoted and the footnote gives me a transliteration. Very useful. It could have helped me years ago when I read it as a teenager, but now I find I don't really need it. Go figure. :D

Okay two chapters in... I remember why I was so-so on this. I hate the beginning - NOTHING is happening and it feels so unnecessary. Can't wait until the parts with Catherine.

Sarah | 799 comments Joseph's dialect is my only issue so far! I feel like the beginning is building up suspense for me and I like it! Showing the strangeness of it all and how odd the characters are, making me curious as to what's going on and what has happened in the past.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 543 comments I am beginning the novel tonight. I have a Bronte family collection of books eBook from Amazon that I picked up for a dollar years ago, but I decided to check out an audiobook from the library. I think a narrator's voice would work well for this atmospheric novel (I read it a loooooooonnng time ago).

message 40: by Lazu (new)

Lazu Hello everyone. I joined this group right now because I had an 8 year break of reading when I got into middle school and I have SO many classics and modern classics to catch up on...
I actually bought a pretty version of WH years ago but lent it to a friend who I lost contact with so I never got around to actually reading it, I'm excited to finally get it off my list! ♥

message 41: by Christine (last edited Jun 05, 2017 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine (clarkepopunta) | 122 comments Admittedly, it may be a little premature (page 5), but I think I am going to be on the Love It side of this argument. Which just cements the fact that, for me, beautiful language will trump plot 9 times out of 10. (I'm looking at you The Awakening.)

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 543 comments I'm thinking too, Christine, Bronte invented AMAZING word usages and sentences! I'm enchanted!

message 43: by Lea (new) - added it

Lea Saurusrex (leasaurusrex) Already read when I was younger but I don't remember a thing about it. I didn't understand anything ! I hope my re-read will be succesfull, I will start it this week.

Sheryl Wolford (assiduous-savant) | 10 comments I read this book for the first time years ago and loved it. Really enjoying this reread.

message 45: by Kyra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kyra Keeton | 263 comments I was assigned this book for my Major British authors class but I had an abridged version so I didn't actually get to read the entire book. I'm excited to get to read the book to completion this time.

message 46: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. My copy came in the mail today. I can start reading it tomorrow probably. YAY.

message 47: by Mare (new) - added it

Mare Kinley | 6 comments Downloaded it for free this morning. I have the feeling I am going to be one of those love it/hate it people, and like many of you, I can't even guess which it will be. I'm still not used to reading on my kindle, so I hope that won't be a problem.

Here goes.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Am loving it so far. Its a far better book than I remembered.

Sheryl Wolford (assiduous-savant) | 10 comments I got a kindle for christmas and have come to love mine. I like to read several books at one time, so it is very nice to have 1 kindle to carry around instead of Wuthering Heights, The Romanovs. and The Book Thief..

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 0 comments I just started it today. I have a feeling I'm going to come down on the hate side of it. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also, I have been reminded of my own puerile sense of humor. A particular word has come up twice that has a much different connotation today. Instead of focusing on the plot I find myself giggling because sometimes I have the sense of humor of a twelve year old boy.

Who knows, maybe that will help me enjoy the book. ;)

Side note, I would really appreciate those footnotes for Joseph that someone mentioned. My free Kindle version does not have them. I can mostly muddle through what he's saying, but I can't decipher a few of the words.

« previous 1

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pride and Prejudice (other topics)
Wuthering Heights (other topics)
The Awakening (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Emily Brontë (other topics)