EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS > The Book Thief - pre-read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kaseadillla (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaseadillla | 1349 comments Mod
Hello all - starting up discussions for the JUNE 2017 BOTMs. This discussion is for the group's poll selection for the MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS category: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

This discussion will be SPOILER-FREE. If you have read the book and want to discuss, hop on over to the spoiler-filled discussion HERE .

Happy reading!
Kasey

message 2: by Elena (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elena (elenaselge) | 26 comments So excited! I've got the book ready to go as soon as I finish my current read.

It'll be a re-read for me, actually. I read it ~5 years ago in Estonian and really liked it (I think I gave it 4 stars)? Now that I'm older, I'm super excited to pick it up again and see what my 22-year-old self thinks about it. Maybe the rating will even work itself up another star??

Tania (geoluhread) | 25 comments I have to admit that I started re-reading this at the beginning of the week. It is one of my favorites!

Hannah I also loved this book. Won't be re-reading it this time around but will definitely follow the discussion, happy reading everyone!

Sarah | 729 comments I also have read this, about 3 years ago, but enjoyed it so much I'm going to read it again with y'all!

message 6: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Peckover (leepeckover) | 9 comments I have owned a copy of this book for about 10 years, and I've never read it. Hopefully this will finally give me the push to do it!

Sarah | 729 comments Lee, do it! It's an easy read and a great story!

message 8: by Zainab (last edited Jun 01, 2017 08:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zainab Al Lawati (zainaballawati) | 221 comments I started reading this book on April at an average pace of 3 pages per day. I have no idea why I am going this slow and I don't feel like reading it at all, although it seems very well written and so far quite intriguing. I think I am quite intimidated by it for some weird reason.

BUT, I will finish this month. I have to finish it this month.

Robin (plannersandpaperbacks) I love this book! I've read it twice already so I'm not going to be re-reading it this month but I'm looking forward to discussing it with you all! Such a beautiful and powerful story :)

Morgan Lee | 8 comments I am so looking forward to reading this book this month! It is on my night table and I will be starting it as soon as I finish my current read The Handmaid's Tale.

Innastholiel I've read The Book Thief multiple times (3? 4? can't remember), but not recently. It'll be interesting to see if I still like it as much as I did during my other reads.

Sarah | 729 comments The fact that so many people are willing to read this book several times says something about it!

message 13: by Daphne (new) - added it

Daphne (daphne2163) | 3 comments I am a newbie to the book but it has been on my tbr list for years. So glad I am finally getting to it! I love that this book club is giving me the push I need to read some very good books.

message 14: by Cait (new) - added it

Cait (caitthebookworm) I've had this book for ages, but never got around to reading it! Very excited to participate and discuss with everyone!

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 71 comments Sarah wrote: "The fact that so many people are willing to read this book several times says something about it!"

Great observation, Sarah! :-)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 71 comments Zainab wrote: "I think I am quite intimidated by it for some weird reason."

Perhaps the fact that the book looks quite thick? :D

message 17: by Kimberlee (new) - added it

Kimberlee Joy (belleinreallife) | 2 comments Super excited! I have to admit, I picked this book up a couple of years ago after hearing wonders about it and never got around to finishing it, (nothing against the book itself it just wasn't the right time for me + I was very very busy) but I'm excited to "re-read" it this month!

Leesa I started this book early because I thought I might struggle with Wuthering Heights and so wanted to leave time for that too. I'm enjoying it so far but totally get that it can be a struggle to read. I think it's all the paragraphs, I've never fallen deeply into a book for hours when it starts and stops a lot. I am enjoying the story though.

JK I'm Exploring (jkimexploring) I'm so excited to read this one. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it so I'm going to feel horrible if I don't like it though.

Synthwaver | 29 comments I'm looking forward to start this book. Sometimes I have a hard time to decide which book to start among so many books that I'd like to catch up and this one has passed on as a choice a couple of times but I never got around starting it. Now I can happily read it for this month.

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 274 comments I read this at the end of 2015 so I'm not ready to re read it yet, but I will one day, definitely. I will be interested in the discussion as, although I rated it 4 stars overall, parts of it I would definitely give 5 stars to ( I'm not saying which parts yet!). Also quite a difficult read because of the subject matter and setting so it took me longer than books usually take to read. I quite envy those reading it for the first time!

Zainab Al Lawati (zainaballawati) | 221 comments Ying Ying wrote:
Perhaps the fact that the book looks quite thick? :D"

Not really, I've finished larger books in way shorter times. I liked what Leesa said, it starts and stops a lot, hence, I start and stop a lot ... maybe.

message 23: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare Buchanan | 5 comments I picked up this book a couple of years ago for 50p out of a used books box at the local flower shop. It went straight onto my to read pile and has stayed there until now. I'm looking forward to finally getting to it!

Elena (elenaselge) | 26 comments 40 pages in and it's even better than I remembered! I love the writing style and am really digging the numerous paragraphs and bolded bits.
So glad I picked it up again!

Tahlia (tahliajane) | 4 comments Everyone seems to be well acquainted with the book already for good reason. I'm looking forward to reading it, as I've had it on my shelf for years, but does anyone know if Markus' other novels are worth a read after the book thief?

message 26: by April (new) - added it

April Stevens (12monthsofapril) | 4 comments Fantastic, powerful book! I read this one last autumn so it's a bit soon for me to read it again. One day definitely. Enjoy everyone!

Kandice Tahlia wrote: "Everyone seems to be well acquainted with the book already for good reason. I'm looking forward to reading it, as I've had it on my shelf for years, but does anyone know if Markus' other novels are..."

I actually preferred I Am the Messenger. I think The Book Thief is well written, but Messenger is more entertaining and has a much more clever plot as opposed to a clever literary device.

Tahlia (tahliajane) | 4 comments Kandice wrote: "Tahlia wrote: "Everyone seems to be well acquainted with the book already for good reason. I'm looking forward to reading it, as I've had it on my shelf for years, but does anyone know if Markus' o..."

Thanks Kandice, I'll look out for a copy of that one!

Brian (cheletteo) | 4 comments This will be my first time reading along with this club and I'm excited to finally start on this book! I have it on my kindle ready to go as soon as I finish my current read.

Laura H (laurah30) | 537 comments I am looking forward to reading this book as well. I heard a lot about it but never seemed to have the time. In my second career, I spend a lot of time on the train so I am catching up on books like this. Positive thoughts going in!

message 31: by Lea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lea Saurusrex (leasaurusrex) Already read this one, but I like the concept of reading modern classics/popular read ! I'm looking forward to see July's books !

message 32: by Jeanine (new) - added it

Jeanine Carstairs (daechwita) | 4 comments This is one of my DNF books :/ hopefully i can finish it this time!

Tanya (shes_been_reading_since_the80s) | 5 comments I am 200 pages in, and it seems to be a quick and easy read. I'm hoping to finish it quickly in case Wuthering Heights gives me trouble....I think I tried to read it when I was much younger but did not finish it. Hoping for better results this time!!

Sarah | 729 comments Yes, make time for Wuthering Heights! It's definitely more challenging, but I find it very enjoyable. It's taking me awhile to get through it, due to dialect and vocabulary and whatnot.

Amanda My copy arrived today. Can't wait to dig into this one! I've heard such great things.

Brian (cheletteo) | 4 comments I feel like I hit a wall. Just got to chapter 39 and I don't have the same desire to finish as I did before.

I really enjoy the book and the story but maybe am just not in the right headspace for it rn? Where is everybody else at in the book and how do you get out of these little slumps?

Laura (estoyaquidurmiendomeyahoocom) I read this two years ago.

message 38: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma | 8 comments I'm about 40 pages in and I can tell this will be a quick read. I've heard really great things about it so I hope I'll love it!

message 39: by Nicolas (new) - added it

Nicolas (nicmtnz) Ooo.. I've been reading non-fiction for awhile, but I've been meaning to read this!

Adding to my list :)

Zainab Al Lawati (zainaballawati) | 221 comments Brian wrote: "I feel like I hit a wall. Just got to chapter 39 and I don't have the same desire to finish as I did before.

I really enjoy the book and the story but maybe am just not in the right headspace for ..."

Wait, where is chapter 39? Mine has no chapter numbers.
I've reached page 269. The writing is so sweet, I can't help but get emotional on the smallest details, yet it is a very slow read for me. As much as I am enjoying it I am not having an urge to pick it up and carry on.

message 41: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim | 1 comments I just got home to get my copy. I'm excited to start reading!

Sarah | 729 comments Started last night! I had already forgotten the introduction so I'm glad I'm re reading this!

Francesca M | 5 comments Started last night and it seems really promising!!!

Kristin  Huff | -12 comments Just started it yesterday, and I'm already hooked. Glad to be, finally, reading it!

JK I'm Exploring (jkimexploring) I just started it as well and I'm loving it! Every time I pick it up I wonder why I haven't read it before. It's definitely living up to he hype so far 😄

Tony - I want to read that series but it seems so daunting. Worth it?

Trying to make my way through all of the book cub books that I missed since starting - 6 to go. Just started this one.

Leesa I thought that's what you were up to Kasey! I fancy doing that myself... maybe one day!

Sarah | 729 comments I plan to do that soon-ish as well!

Leesa I'd have ten to catch up on :/ maybe just the ones I want to read then! Ouch...

« previous 1

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

I Am the Messenger (other topics)
The Book Thief (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Markus Zusak (other topics)