The F-word discussion

Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women
This topic is about Backlash
GROUP READS > June NONFICTION selection BACKLASH: THE UNDECLARED WAR AGAINST AMERICAN WOMEN

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Our June nonfiction selection is Susan Faludi's Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women.

Originally published in 1991, this book is still widely read and studied as a feminist text.

I have to admit I've been meaning to read this since I was in college, but still haven't gotten to it. So I'm looking forward to reading it this month when I have a chance to get a copy from the library.

Anyone else reading it, or have thoughts/opinions to share from a previous reading?

message 2: by PS (new) - added it

PS El, I hope to be able to read this. Im on a waitlist at my library for this book and may not have access to it until end of this month.

message 3: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Sofia wrote: "El, I hope to be able to read this. Im on a waitlist at my library for this book and may not have access to it until end of this month."

Hi, Sofia. Thanks for the comment! I am a bit delayed on it myself, though hope to get to it sooner rather than later. The summer months are always difficult for me - like how some people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder in the winter months? I think I suffer with it in the summer. :/ But I am really interested in this one, so am trying to get a copy from the library as well.

No worries, though - the threads stay open, so feel free to read it and jump in with your thoughts whenever you have a chance!

message 4: by PS (last edited Jun 12, 2017 07:52AM) (new) - added it

PS Oh dear! That must be so frustrating for you. Sending you strength.

I'm not a fan of the summer months either – I have dysautonomia so I'm dizzy and exhausted for most of this period.

Thank you – I'll post my thoughts on the book as soon as I can! :)

message 5: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Yikes, that sounds awful. So sorry to hear that. Please take care of yourself!

Lynn (officerripley) | 89 comments Another summer-sufferer here, so sympathizing with you who are the same.

message 7: by PS (new) - added it

PS Thank you El!

Lynn - we are in this together! Are you planning to read Backlash?

Lynn (officerripley) | 89 comments Yes, I just bought the book today; not sure if I'll get it finished by the end of June but will try. (Can't believe I've never read this; so many books, so little time, lol.)

message 9: by PS (new) - added it

PS I know! It's crazy!

Oh same: I've managed to get a copy from library, but I don't think I'm going to be able to finish it this month.

message 10: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
No worries, Lynn and Sofia. The thread will stay open indefinitely, so you can always pop in and share your thoughts, even if it's after June.

message 11: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (officerripley) | 89 comments Thanks, El!