The F-word discussion

The Round House
This topic is about The Round House
GROUP READS > June FICTION selection THE ROUND HOUSE

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Our June fiction selection is Louise Erdrich's The Round House.

Published in 2012, Louise Erdrich's 14th novel (!!!) was a National Book Award Winner. I have not read this one yet, but I have absolutely loved everything else I have read by her - I am slowly making my way through all of her titles, so I'm looking forward to this one.

According to Wikipedia, some themes in this book (and many others by Erdrich) include sexual violence against Native American women, Ojibwe family/community dynamics, jurisdiction discrepancies on Native land, and Wendigo mythology.

Anyone planning to read this with me this month? Has anyone already read and have any thoughts about it they'd like to share?

Summer (paradisecity) My local book club read this recently and it was quite interesting. It illustrated a lot of the unique challeneges of living on a reservation and feeling disconnected fr om others. I thought the cultural and familial pieces were handled very well, and it was definitely worth the read. I'm looking forward to others' thoughts on this one!

Archie Mega | 5 comments Hello!

I have read only a few of Louise Erdrich's short stories and collections, but I am a big fan thus far! I am excited to read this book this month. The bookstore down the street has a used copy waiting for me :)

I will likely read this over the next week and keep in touch for discussion!

-A

message 4: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Great! Look forward to your thoughts, Archie!

message 5: by Kay (new)

Kay | 72 comments I am about finished with another Erdrich's novel Tracks so why not jump right in another one :) It will be interesting to see how (if) her voice and style have changed over the last 20 years.