Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
This topic is about All Systems Red
Group Reads > June 2017 - All Systems Red

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments Don't forget to use the spoiler tags!

message 2: by Gary (last edited Jun 02, 2017 08:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary | 1471 comments At 144 pages, this thing is short, somewhere between a novella and a novel, and she drops us right into the story with a bang.

I'm about 1/3 of the way into this one, so I can say, without revealing any spoilers, that if any Girlz out there are sensitive to spoilers, you might not want to read the GR description of this text until after you've got to about the halfway point of the book. That description gives up a little plot point that I still haven't read, so I found it a little spoiler-y.

That said, here's some issues based on stuff that's from the opening of the book, so it's not really spoiler-y, but if you don't want any surprises whatever I'm going to put it all inside spoiler tags.

(view spoiler)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments I really liked this book. I had read the description a few months before it came out and I instantly knew I wanted to read it. I really really liked the robot.

Gary wrote: "Third, the first thing any AI is going to do is hide its status as an AI."

I agree with that, but I also have a different theory, and it's that whenever we reach superintelligence, that AI will "play it down" so we don't how how smart it got, because it knows we will try to shut it down.

Not related to the book we're talking about, but somewhat related to the AI topic, I really liked this video from The Guardian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S8a7...

message 4: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael I've requested it from my library - she had me at "murderbot"...

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments More Murderbot Adventures from Martha Wells
http://www.tor.com/2017/06/26/more-mu...

We have a release date for the next one! Yay!
Artificial Condition, book two in the Murderbot Diaries, will be published in January 2018

Did anyone else finish the book?

Gary | 1471 comments Yoly wrote: "Did anyone else finish the book?"

I finished it a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't had time to write up a review or comment. It's a very solid, entertaining piece of work. I'm definitely interested in a sequel/series.