Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > August 2017 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments August 2017 Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only one nomination OR one second, per member. Only books that have been seconded will advance to polls.

4. Nominations will remain open until the 14th June, polls will open on the 16th and run until the end of the month.

message 2: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments I nominate The Sagas of Icelanders, an anthology by Jane Smiley.

message 3: by Loretta (last edited Jun 01, 2017 12:18PM) (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments I nominate The Last of the Mohicans published in 1826 and 220 pages.

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Loretta wrote: "I nominate The Last of the Mohicans published in 1601 and 220 pages."

Published in 1826

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate The Last of the Mohicans published in 1601 and 220 pages."

I'll second this.

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I will third The Last of the Mohicans. We are a stubborn group.

message 8: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Bob wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I nominate The Last of the Mohicans published in 1601 and 220 pages."

Published in 1826"

Sorry Bob! Don't know where I got that 1601 from!!! It's written clearly on my notes as 1826! I've made the change above. 😊

message 9: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Sarah wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I nominate The Last of the Mohicans published in 1601 and 220 pages."

I'll second this."

Thank you so much Sarah! 🤗

message 10: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Janet wrote: "I will third The Last of the Mohicans. We are a stubborn group."

Thanks Janet! Indeed we are!! 😊

message 11: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments I nominate Mysteries by Knut Hamsun. I am really intrigued by the possibilities of this book.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 71 comments I nominate Les Liaisons dangereuses by Pierre-Ambroise Choderlos de Laclos First published 1782, 393 pages.

message 13: by Karin (new)

Karin Emerson wrote: "I nominate The Sagas of Icelanders, an anthology by Jane Smiley."

I second this. It is, after all, about some of my ancestors. This one has real people in it, but I've never read the entire thing.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Paula W wrote: "I nominate Mysteries by Knut Hamsun. I am really intrigued by the possibilities of this book."

I second Mysteries.

message 16: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments I nominate Henry VIII by William Shakespeare.

Pages: 352

Published: a long time ago

message 17: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 816 comments I'll 2nd Duane's nomination of Henry VIII by Shakespeare - great nomination Duane!

message 18: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Duane wrote: "I nominate Henry VIII by William Shakespeare.

Published: a long time ago"

😜😂

message 19: by Brina (new)

Brina I would like to nominate The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte.

message 20: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 417 comments Brina wrote: "I would like to nominate The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte."

I'll second this.

message 21: by Brina (new)

Brina Thanks, Piyangie, and if it doesn't win, we could always set up a buddy read :)

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments "Published: A long long time ago" lol

message 23: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Brina wrote: "I would like to nominate The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte."

We've already read this as a group, so it's not eligible here, but you can nominate in the revisit the shelf category :)

message 24: by Pink (last edited Jun 02, 2017 02:06AM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Duane wrote: "I nominate Henry VIII by William Shakespeare.

Haha, certainly was a long time ago! We could be on for a third month's battle in the polls of Shakespeare vs The Last of the Mohicans!

message 25: by Jim (last edited Jun 02, 2017 02:30AM) (new)

Jim Townsend | 159 comments Good morning!

Controversy (however the word is pronounced) surrounds the play's first publication date. No one really knows.

I saw in Wikipedia this morning that Henry VIII was first published in 1623 for something called First Folio, but one of the play's first performances at the original Globe Theater (Theatre?) in 1613 resulted in a cannon shot igniting the theatre's thatched roof and burning the building to the ground.

Jim

message 26: by Brina (new)

Brina I wasn't sure so happy to nominate it in the other category.

message 27: by Brina (new)

Brina On that note, I'll second Vindication of the Rights of Women :-)

message 28: by Anetq (new)

Anetq | 326 comments I'll nominate the 'one I never finished' - and it's an old one:
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne from 1767.

message 29: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Jim, we'll never be entirely accurate for the date of Shakespeare's plays, as like you say, we have to go with earliest known performance, rather than date actually published. GR and most sources go with the 1613 date, when the cannon fire burnt the original Globe theatre down. I believe this is one of his last plays.

message 30: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Karen wrote: "I nominate Les Liaisons dangereuses by Pierre-Ambroise Choderlos de Laclos First published 1782, 393 pages."

I'll second this.

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen | 71 comments Pink wrote: "Karen wrote: "I nominate Les Liaisons dangereuses by Pierre-Ambroise Choderlos de Laclos First published 1782, 393 pages."

I'll second this."

Thank you

message 33: by Nix (new)

Nix | 112 comments Paula W wrote: "I nominate Mysteries by Knut Hamsun. I am really intrigued by the possibilities of this book."

Let's hope it will do better in the polls this time. :)

message 34: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Pink wrote: "Duane wrote: "I nominate Henry VIII by William Shakespeare.

Haha, certainly was a long time ago! We could be on for a third mont..."

Ahhhh!!!! 🤔🙃

message 35: by Michele (last edited Jun 02, 2017 12:25PM) (new)

Michele | 1008 comments I'll nominate Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson, an underappreciated classic published in January 1900 and one of the very earliest (perhaps the first?) post-apocalypse novels.

Dang it. The note says Jan 1900 but the blurb says 1907.

So instead I'll nominate John Kendrick Bangs A House-Boat on the Styx.

message 36: by Sorento62 (new)

Sorento62 I nominate The Analects by Confucius, first published roughly 476 BCE.

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Dickinson I nominate Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

message 38: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Stephanie wrote: "I nominate Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi"

I'll second Pinocchio.

message 39: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Luella wrote: "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions"

What a great and mind-bending book!
I WOULD second this, but it is about 93 years too young for this category. Try nominating it in Short Story or New School.

message 40: by Luella (new)

Luella | 5 comments Petrichor wrote: "Luella wrote: "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions"

What a great and mind-bending book!
I WOULD second this, but it is about 93 years too young for this category. Try nominating i..."

It was originally published in 1884.

message 41: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Yep Flatland is definitely eligible for nomination here. A few of us buddy read it a couple of months ago, here's a link to our discussion about it, which contains spoilers. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 42: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments I will third dangerous liaisons

message 43: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I'll second Flatland

message 44: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 553 comments Brina wrote: "On that note, I'll second Vindication of the Rights of Women :-)"

Yay!

message 45: by Luella (new)

Luella | 5 comments Francisca wrote: "I'll second Flatland"

Thank you! :)

message 46: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) | 39 comments Majorly great books!!! I'll just vote this time around!

message 47: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Mehrens | 13 comments I don't know if this is "old school" enough, but I'd really like to read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

message 48: by Pink (last edited Jun 04, 2017 06:48AM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Ashley wrote: "I don't know if this is "old school" enough, but I'd really like to read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood."

Old school dates are for books published before 1900 (rules are in the first post) so I'm afraid The Handmaids Tale is ineligible here. We've read it before as a group, so you can nominate it in our revisit the shelf category, although we did just reread it in February this year and prefer not to nominate again within a year. Our discussion threads stay open for comment, so you can read and add your thoughts any time you'd like. Here's the link to The Handmaid's Tale threads (by the way, I'm loving the television series right now) https://www.goodreads.com/group/comme...

message 49: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Michele wrote: "Dang it. The note says Jan 1900 but the blurb says 1907...."

Fixed.

Either way, though, 1900 is New School

message 50: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments I nominate The Book of the City of Ladies by Christine de Pizan 282 pages published 1405

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.